Will the One be Forgotten About After the S4 & Xphone Launch?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Like you, I'm always excited to see new Android phones launch but I feel after the high of HTC's latest launch wears off and the S4 and Xphone come out many people will forget about the HTC One.

It's beautiful all metal design will be remembered but it's possible there will be more wow factor when the other phones launch. If some of the rumors prove to be true the HTC One will be slower, have less battery life and lack some cool features as well as the latest version of Android Key Lime Pie.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ry,
I think HTC's marketing effort will be like their phone, good but unable to compete at the level of Samsung and Moto.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC needs to do everything it can to get the word out about the One and I mean everything. Samsung and Apple have been doing it and look where it got them, if HTC doesn't do the same the One will fall into obscurity as soon as it's released.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry,
I think HTC's marketing effort will be like their phone, good but unable to compete at the level of Samsung and Moto.

They've identified marketing as an area where they need to improve. We'll have to wait and see if they can execute.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to walk anywhere in Midtown Manhattan and not see a massive sign with the words: "The Next Big Thing Is Already Here" plastered all over it. Samsung has marketing prowess, not a superior phone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the only thing that could save/resurrect HTC is to come up with another Nexus phone, and a good one.

One of the things that made Samsung the strongest Android phone manufacture out there is their attention to what people want. People like us on Android sites are connoisseurs, we talk about build quality and the type of materials used for a phone. Yet most people throw a case on a new phone and never see the finish or feel it again. The Samsung S3 had a very plasticy body but as sales showed people didn't care one bit.

When the Samsung Note came out a lot of people (including myself) thought there is no way people are going to buy such a ginormous phone. We were wrong and they've been selling so good that many companies like HTC are copying that trend.

I don't think HTC has tapped into what people want yet, not in the way their competitors have and this will be proven again right after the S4 and Xphone launch. A Nexus (or Nexus like) phone is what HTC needs to get back into the game and the HTC One falls short of that measure.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the only thing that could save/resurrect HTC is to come up with another Nexus phone, and a good one.

One of the things that made Samsung the strongest Android phone manufacture out there is their attention to what people want. People like us on Android sites are connoisseurs, we talk about build quality and the type of materials used for a phone. Yet most people throw a case on a new phone and never see the finish or feel it again. The Samsung S3 had a very plasticy body but as sales showed people didn't care one bit.

When the Samsung Note came out a lot of people (including myself) thought there is no way people are going to buy such a ginormous phone. We were wrong and they've been selling so good that many companies like HTC are copying that trend.

I don't think HTC has tapped into what people want yet, not in the way their competitors have and this will be proven again right after the S4 and Xphone launch. A Nexus (or Nexus like) phone is what HTC needs to get back into the game and the HTC One falls short of that measure.

No no no. Don't take this personally, but your comment illustrates exactly why HTC needs to market better. The HTC One IS a good phone already. It's hardware meets or beats any other phone on the market. HTC needs to show how GOOD their phones are, and make people excited about them.

When the S4 drops, I would slash the price on the One by half. Really stick it to Samsung. Then I would run ads contrasting the One to the S4: "4 cores and a 4.7" screen for $99? OR, 4 cores and a 4.7" screen for $199? You decide."

I'm taking this way too seriously. Lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
No no no. Don't take this personally, but your comment illustrates exactly why HTC needs to market better. The HTC One IS a good phone already. It's hardware meets or beats any other phone on the market. HTC needs to show how GOOD their phones are, and make people excited about them.

When the S4 drops, I would slash the price on the One by half. Really stick it to Samsung. Then I would run ads contrasting the One to the S4: "4 cores and a 4.7" screen for $99? OR, 4 cores and a 4.7" screen for $199? You decide."

I'm taking this way too seriously. Lol.

Maybe you should go work for HTC. lol

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
No no no. Don't take this personally
I promise I wont :)

The HTC One IS a good phone already. It's hardware meets or beats any other phone on the market.
It is a good phone but it's a little like sprinting to the front of a marathon race at the sound of the gun only to be passed by everyone in the second mile. It will get lost in a sea of good phones and won't have what it takes to stay a leader with the features in other phones that people keep talking about and want.

Unfortunately I think price has little effect on sales in high end electronics unless it's a firesale like the WebOS tablet. Apple and Samsung aren't known for their great prices. A lot of people get subsidized phones when you're talking about this class of phone and therefore don't care too much about price. Price historically has never been a factor for people when purchasing expensive must have devices. At least not for the top competitors that HTC faces.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. You say the One will be "passed" by other phones, I'm assuming you mean the S4? The One is, to me, already a finer device than the Nexus 4. And I'm speculating here, but I believe the S4 will be released with a AMOLED screen in 1080p. That means that, in comparison, the One will still have the better, more warm display, with truer colors. I don't see that as passing, really. Do you?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. You say the One will be "passed" by other phones, I'm assuming you mean the S4? The One is, to me, already a finer device than the Nexus 4. And I'm speculating here, but I believe the S4 will be released with a AMOLED screen in 1080p. That means that, in comparison, the One will still have the better, more warm display, with truer colors. I don't see that as passing, really. Do you?

Show me where complaints like this exist in high enough numbers that have ever significantly effected sales in a high end phone?

I have yet to hear the average consumer complain let alone know the difference between something like this is. Again, this is a connoisseurs complaint that you will only hear from a tiny fraction of people. And while people like us can complain about silly things like that Samsung, Apple, Moto and others will continue to keep selling more phones. HTC has to worry more about selling features in phones that the majority people care about then warming up truer colors that only few people will notice.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Show me where complaints like this exist in high enough numbers that have ever significantly effected sales in a high end phone?

I have yet to hear the average consumer complain let alone know the difference between something like this is. Again, this is a connoisseurs complaint that you will only hear from a tiny fraction of people. And while people like us can complain about silly things like that Samsung, Apple, Moto and others will continue to keep selling more phones. HTC has to worry more about selling features in phones that the majority people care about then warming up truer colors that only few people will notice.

Well I would argue that you are jumping to conclusions about what the "majority" of users care about. You didn't state it explicitly, but I'd imagine it would be along these lines: removable battery, SD card storage, software updates.

Fact is, that's just not what sells smartphones. The masses are swayed by perception, not hard specs. And those features above, are not phone selling points. You've never seen a commercial saying, "LOOK! OUR PHONE HAS REMOVABLE STORAGE!" Have you? I don't think so. SD cards are, in reality, a geek thing.

HTC actually does have a marketing point with the screen. Because the screens are different, and displays are something that the majority of users care about. I think HTC should capitalize on the screen differences and construction differences. I believe that with proper marketing, they can really get back in the game. All the pieces are there, they just have to be smart.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I would argue that you are jumping to conclusions about what the "majority" of users care about. You didn't state it explicitly, but I'd imagine it would be along these lines: removable battery, SD card storage, software updates.

Fact is, that's just not what sells smartphones. The masses are swayed by perception, not hard specs. And those features above, are not phone selling points. You've never seen a commercial saying, "LOOK! OUR PHONE HAS REMOVABLE STORAGE!" Have you? I don't think so. SD cards are, in reality, a geek thing.

HTC actually does have a marketing point with the screen. Because the screens are different, and displays are something that the majority of users care about. I think HTC should capitalize on the screen differences and construction differences. I believe that with proper marketing, they can really get back in the game. All the pieces are there, they just have to be smart.

this

The screen is the only reason i do not have an s3 aready(i may be getting one soon though). It is so over saturated. Everything has weird dark tint to it. You put one next to a dna and it is shameful. I really hope they can figure something better out for the s4.

The screen is htc's one great indisputable thing if it is as good or better than the dna. They need to capitalize on it big time.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the aluminum unibody. The build quality is higher than the plastic Galaxy. Will that sway everyone to choose the One? No. Will it sway some people? I think so. I hope so.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe that it will be really difficult for HTC to really make a mark this year. Samsung really penetrated the masses with the S3. Now people are impatiently waiting for the S4. Once the masses have a product in their sights, it will be difficult to disrupt. That's the task HTC has right now. If they don't succeed this year, it could mean devastating effects to the company. I like their phones a lot. But other manufactures are making phones just as good and sometimes better. What's the draw to HTC?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This depends 85% on how good the S4 and X-Phone actually are. If the One is leaps and bounds ahead of them in several key areas, it will remain relavent. If it is only slightly better and/or has a poor marketing push, it will be relegated to obscurity, like the One X before it. However, the fact that it is launching on many carriers under one unified brand name and image, I think, shows that HTC is serious about this phone and is going to make a big push for it. Will it be the best selling phone of 2013? Unlikely, that will be either the S4 or the next iPhone. However it has the potential to outsell phones like the Xperia Z, Galaxy Note 2/3, and depending on carrier availability and marketing effort on Motorola's part, the X-Phone. I could see the One being a solid 3rd or 4th most sold phone of 2013.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
The only time you really need a sd card is if you have less than 16gb phones, but since this phone has minimum 32gb there is no need for one really.

My little bit of thought is HTC are releasing the phone to early, most releases come mayish, so people's contracts will be expiring around this time, so by the time contacts are ending the whole push HTC has created is disappearing and Samsung has started there marketing machine, so anyone's contracts ending will auto look to these phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This depends 85% on how good the S4 and X-Phone actually are. If the One is leaps and bounds ahead of them in several key areas, it will remain relavent. If it is only slightly better and/or has a poor marketing push, it will be relegated to obscurity, like the One X before it. However, the fact that it is launching on many carriers under one unified brand name and image, I think, shows that HTC is serious about this phone and is going to make a big push for it. Will it be the best selling phone of 2013? Unlikely, that will be either the S4 or the next iPhone. However it has the potential to outsell phones like the Xperia Z, Galaxy Note 2/3, and depending on carrier availability and marketing effort on Motorola's part, the X-Phone. I could see the One being a solid 3rd or 4th most sold phone of 2013.

IMO, it depends 100% on how well HTC markets the One.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10