Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By droidmyme
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    We have almost half a dozen HTC "One" devices already.

    Why in the world would they come out with a new product that has the same name preface, with no finishing designation? Am I the only one who's a little baffled at this devices official name...
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    We have almost half a dozen HTC "One" devices already.

    Why in the world would they come out with a new product that has the same name preface, with no finishing designation? Am I the only one who's a little baffled at this devices official name...
    HTC is only going to have one device bearing the One name from now on. So the "One" will be HTC's flagship phone, same on all carriers. The last generation of "One" phone's with the X, S, and V designations is going to be abandoned moving forward.

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    krisguy likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    No they will not be abandoned. They are still very much there. The same way the Galaxy S and S II are still there even though the S III has been out for a while. They will be lower priced and budget handsets.

    It's a very very stupid naming idea. The One X, One S, One V, etc. are part of the "HTC One" series. Guess whaht? That's also the name of this phone. I swear these Asian companies need to stop naming things on their own and actually consult a person who speaks English natively. The stupid as hell names are always on Asian products, because they have big egos and think they can speak and understand English since they were taught in school and can manage business relations, but in reality it is still a second language to them as foreign as any and they don't have any of the sensibilities. Nintendo Wii anyone? They have a whole army of white people doing PR and sales spread across their offices in western countries, yet they never bother to consult even one of them over it, and those white people are sure as hell not gonna speak up for fear of losing their job. They aren't very high up on the food chain of an Asian company. When Asian people name things with English words, or god forbid latin or some other western language, they do it based on how KEWL it sounds to their Asian ears, or try to convert some deep, singular Asian character into it's English equivalent. That's probably how HTC One got its name. Not only does the "ONE" not translate well to mean anything special in English, it just sounds stupidly simple, and completely impractical and confusing as far as searching for the damn thing on Google or NOT confusing it with their existing product line. Why they keep on making names that are hard to search online for or differentiate from other products, I have no idea what they are smoking. And you can't call me racist since I'm Asian.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    No they will not be abandoned. They are still very much there. The same way the Galaxy S and S II are still there even though the S III has been out for a while. They will be lower priced and budget handsets.

    It's a very very stupid naming idea. The One X, One S, One V, etc. are part of the "HTC One" series. Guess whaht? That's also the name of this phone. I swear these Asian companies need to stop naming things on their own and actually consult a person who speaks English natively. The stupid as hell names are always on Asian products, because they have big egos and think they can speak and understand English since they were taught in school and can manage business relations, but in reality it is still a second language to them as foreign as any and they don't have any of the sensibilities. Nintendo Wii anyone? They have a whole army of white people doing PR and sales spread across their offices in western countries, yet they never bother to consult even one of them over it, and those white people are sure as hell not gonna speak up for fear of losing their job. They aren't very high up on the food chain of an Asian company. When Asian people name things with English words, or god forbid latin or some other western language, they do it based on how KEWL it sounds to their Asian ears, or try to convert some deep, singular Asian character into it's English equivalent. That's probably how HTC One got its name. Not only does the "ONE" not translate well to mean anything special in English, it just sounds stupidly simple, and completely impractical and confusing as far as searching for the damn thing on Google or NOT confusing it with their existing product line. Why they keep on making names that are hard to search online for or differentiate from other products, I have no idea what they are smoking. And you can't call me racist since I'm Asian.
    Racist

    It is a bit stupid I think to keep to the one series, cause if anyone says what phones that you say the one they where like that came out last year?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    I totally agree that this is a bad idea for them. There are way to many HTC One's, makes it very difficult for consumers. Try searching HTC One in ebay it is a joke. The Samsung Galaxy convention works because they have version numbers Galaxy S 2, 3, 4. Instead HTC have HTC One, HTC One V, HTC One S, HTC One X+ how easy a task to put those in order of release date :P
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Searching on ebay is pretty simple, actually. Just search for HTC One M7.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garysayer76 View Post
    Searching on ebay is pretty simple, actually. Just search for HTC One M7.
    Yeah, searching for the M7 helped when looking for phone cases.

    Same issue when googling for solutions to some problems too. Most of the time, I can't get a relevant answer until I add something like "-x -s -v" at the end of my query. That's because not everyone refers to it as the M7 when they're replying to questions in threads.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    We have almost half a dozen HTC "One" devices already.

    Why in the world would they come out with a new product that has the same name preface, with no finishing designation? Am I the only one who's a little baffled at this devices official name...
    I think they are trying to revamp the one series. Instead of making another one with a letter after it (how stupid would that be? 40 "one"phones with some letter or number or variation of the two) they are trying to simplify the one series. I happen to like it, but then again this is my first HTC phone.

    I don't think anyone would confuse our new ones with last years model. If they do, just pull it out of your pocket and show them the beautiful build and awesome speakers.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I think they are trying to revamp the one series. Instead of making another one with a letter after it (how stupid would that be? 40 "one"phones with some letter or number or variation of the two) they are trying to simplify the one series. I happen to like it, but then again this is my first HTC phone.

    I don't think anyone would confuse our new ones with last years model. If they do, just pull it out of your pocket and show them the beautiful build and awesome speakers.
    This is definitely a good way to go, but it's just that because of how bad they messed up their naming last year, it's a little annoying for us who use this year's model.

    Also, yeah, nobody would confuse the new One with last year's models if they saw it, but a couple of people did ask me if it was last phone when I told them I bought the new One. Not a big deal though.
  10. #10  
    leez's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

    Default Re: Can someone explain the naming convention here?

    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    No they will not be abandoned. They are still very much there. The same way the Galaxy S and S II are still there even though the S III has been out for a while. They will be lower priced and budget handsets.

    It's a very very stupid naming idea. The One X, One S, One V, etc. are part of the "HTC One" series. Guess whaht? That's also the name of this phone. I swear these Asian companies need to stop naming things on their own and actually consult a person who speaks English natively. The stupid as hell names are always on Asian products, because they have big egos and think they can speak and understand English since they were taught in school and can manage business relations, but in reality it is still a second language to them as foreign as any and they don't have any of the sensibilities. Nintendo Wii anyone? They have a whole army of white people doing PR and sales spread across their offices in western countries, yet they never bother to consult even one of them over it, and those white people are sure as hell not gonna speak up for fear of losing their job. They aren't very high up on the food chain of an Asian company. When Asian people name things with English words, or god forbid latin or some other western language, they do it based on how KEWL it sounds to their Asian ears, or try to convert some deep, singular Asian character into it's English equivalent. That's probably how HTC One got its name. Not only does the "ONE" not translate well to mean anything special in English, it just sounds stupidly simple, and completely impractical and confusing as far as searching for the damn thing on Google or NOT confusing it with their existing product line. Why they keep on making names that are hard to search online for or differentiate from other products, I have no idea what they are smoking. And you can't call me racist since I'm Asian.
    "These Asian companies..."

    You mean how like Apple went iPad, iPad 2, "the new" iPad (it's not iPad 3, officially). Or the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, 4S, 5...where'd 2 go? I do agree that many of these companies are employing stupid and confusing naming schemes, but it's not just limited to the Asian companies.

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone explain the early upgrades?
    By bxojr in forum Verizon
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM
  2. Can someone explain the battery graph
    By williest311 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM
  3. Can someone explain the "lag" I see people talking about?
    By Rev2010 in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM
  4. Can someone explain the hidden links for the nexus s contest?
    By shaundizzle in forum Android 2.3 Gingerbread
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
  5. Can someone explain the hidden links for the nexus s contest?
    By shaundizzle in forum T-Mobile Nexus S
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions