Can someone explain the naming convention here?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
We have almost half a dozen HTC "One" devices already.

Why in the world would they come out with a new product that has the same name preface, with no finishing designation? Am I the only one who's a little baffled at this devices official name...

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

Why in the world would they come out with a new product that has the same name preface, with no finishing designation? Am I the only one who's a little baffled at this devices official name...

HTC is only going to have one device bearing the One name from now on. So the "One" will be HTC's flagship phone, same on all carriers. The last generation of "One" phone's with the X, S, and V designations is going to be abandoned moving forward.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

katamari201

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
No they will not be abandoned. They are still very much there. The same way the Galaxy S and S II are still there even though the S III has been out for a while. They will be lower priced and budget handsets.

It's a very very stupid naming idea. The One X, One S, One V, etc. are part of the "HTC One" series. Guess whaht? That's also the name of this phone. I swear these Asian companies need to stop naming things on their own and actually consult a person who speaks English natively. The stupid as hell names are always on Asian products, because they have big egos and think they can speak and understand English since they were taught in school and can manage business relations, but in reality it is still a second language to them as foreign as any and they don't have any of the sensibilities. Nintendo Wii anyone? They have a whole army of white people doing PR and sales spread across their offices in western countries, yet they never bother to consult even one of them over it, and those white people are sure as hell not gonna speak up for fear of losing their job. They aren't very high up on the food chain of an Asian company. When Asian people name things with English words, or god forbid latin or some other western language, they do it based on how KEWL it sounds to their Asian ears, or try to convert some deep, singular Asian character into it's English equivalent. That's probably how HTC One got its name. Not only does the "ONE" not translate well to mean anything special in English, it just sounds stupidly simple, and completely impractical and confusing as far as searching for the damn thing on Google or NOT confusing it with their existing product line. Why they keep on making names that are hard to search online for or differentiate from other products, I have no idea what they are smoking. And you can't call me racist since I'm Asian. :p

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
No they will not be abandoned. They are still very much there. The same way the Galaxy S and S II are still there even though the S III has been out for a while. They will be lower priced and budget handsets.

It's a very very stupid naming idea. The One X, One S, One V, etc. are part of the "HTC One" series. Guess whaht? That's also the name of this phone. I swear these Asian companies need to stop naming things on their own and actually consult a person who speaks English natively. The stupid as hell names are always on Asian products, because they have big egos and think they can speak and understand English since they were taught in school and can manage business relations, but in reality it is still a second language to them as foreign as any and they don't have any of the sensibilities. Nintendo Wii anyone? They have a whole army of white people doing PR and sales spread across their offices in western countries, yet they never bother to consult even one of them over it, and those white people are sure as hell not gonna speak up for fear of losing their job. They aren't very high up on the food chain of an Asian company. When Asian people name things with English words, or god forbid latin or some other western language, they do it based on how KEWL it sounds to their Asian ears, or try to convert some deep, singular Asian character into it's English equivalent. That's probably how HTC One got its name. Not only does the "ONE" not translate well to mean anything special in English, it just sounds stupidly simple, and completely impractical and confusing as far as searching for the damn thing on Google or NOT confusing it with their existing product line. Why they keep on making names that are hard to search online for or differentiate from other products, I have no idea what they are smoking. And you can't call me racist since I'm Asian. :p

Racist ;)

It is a bit stupid I think to keep to the one series, cause if anyone says what phones that you say the one they where like that came out last year?

scrapz_star

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree that this is a bad idea for them. There are way to many HTC One's, makes it very difficult for consumers. Try searching HTC One in ebay it is a joke. The Samsung Galaxy convention works because they have version numbers Galaxy S 2, 3, 4. Instead HTC have HTC One, HTC One V, HTC One S, HTC One X+ how easy a task to put those in order of release date :p

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Searching on ebay is pretty simple, actually. Just search for HTC One M7.
Yeah, searching for the M7 helped when looking for phone cases.

Same issue when googling for solutions to some problems too. Most of the time, I can't get a relevant answer until I add something like "-x -s -v" at the end of my query. That's because not everyone refers to it as the M7 when they're replying to questions in threads.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I think they are trying to revamp the one series. Instead of making another one with a letter after it (how stupid would that be? 40 "one"phones with some letter or number or variation of the two) they are trying to simplify the one series. I happen to like it, but then again this is my first HTC phone.

I don't think anyone would confuse our new ones with last years model. If they do, just pull it out of your pocket and show them the beautiful build and awesome speakers.

Posted via Android Central App

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I think they are trying to revamp the one series. Instead of making another one with a letter after it (how stupid would that be? 40 "one"phones with some letter or number or variation of the two) they are trying to simplify the one series. I happen to like it, but then again this is my first HTC phone.

I don't think anyone would confuse our new ones with last years model. If they do, just pull it out of your pocket and show them the beautiful build and awesome speakers.
This is definitely a good way to go, but it's just that because of how bad they messed up their naming last year, it's a little annoying for us who use this year's model.

Also, yeah, nobody would confuse the new One with last year's models if they saw it, but a couple of people did ask me if it was last phone when I told them I bought the new One. Not a big deal though.

leez

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

"These Asian companies..."

You mean how like Apple went iPad, iPad 2, "the new" iPad (it's not iPad 3, officially). Or the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, 4S, 5...where'd 2 go? I do agree that many of these companies are employing stupid and confusing naming schemes, but it's not just limited to the Asian companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC