Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up HTC Marketing ablilty and opinion from CNET

Information taken from: HTC One looks great. But will anyone care? | Mobile - CNET News

From CNET the author ask a serious question as to see if HTC can make this device relevant. I thought it was negative in tone at first (which is a good thing and offers a different perspective), but it seems he feels that now is the time for HTC to provide the marketing push needed. I will offer some quoted segments from the article (full credit given to the writer Roger Cheng):

HTC executives also conceded that they had relied too much on the carriers in the past, and vowed to take more of a direct role in the purchasing experiencing. McGee said a lot of the advertising would focus on generating awareness and demand before the consumer went into the store, so there would be less reliance on a carrier salesperson.
    ...."This is by far our best device, and it's our job to make sure people know about it," she said, noting that the campaign would be much more focused than before.
    HTC plans to get some support from Best Buy, which it mentioned as being another distribution outlet beyond AT&T, Sprint Nextel, and T-Mobile USA.
    Best Buy plans to jointly run some national commercials featuring the HTC One, according to Alistair Jones, head of marketing for the big-box retail chain's connectivity business group. He added this was the most resources that Best Buy has put behind HTC in at least 18 months.
    Likewise, the HTC One will be featured prominently in Best Buy's stores, occupying one of the coveted "end caps" of the mobile area, where the latest and greatest are displayed.
    If this turns out to be true, then it is a step in the right direction. I will also have to eat crow and admit I was wrong when I made sarcastic remarks stating (in a nutshell) that HTC wouldn't be able to secure prime kiosk for advertisement. Even if the time is short-lived, it's better than nothing. Truthfully, I think the sales in the eastern market will eclipse U.S. sales. Time will tell.
    Once again full credit to Roger Cheng from CNET for writing this article.

Default Re: HTC Marketing ablilty and opinion from CNET

My local At&t store has this podium set aside for the HTC One X. There are four phones, with all thte accessories strewn around them, and it is literally right in front of you when you walk through the door. It's the first thing anyone ever sees, guaranteed. And it was there for half a year. Even the Lumia 920 got ignored and sent to the back wall. It's probably not store presence that is handicapping HTC. I've seen customers go straight for the Galaxy S3 in the back. They know it by name. Ditzy girls and old people. It's the million and one commercials, especially those comparing it against the iPhone, that really made the difference. That's what HTC needs to focus on.