Not interested

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
This post deserves an award.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thank you, thank you... I would take a job @ AC for starters. Phil is always going to nice places. Everyone is actually. Except Jerry....... he never goes anywhere.

And I dig the screen name. I usually go with KingBeevr as an off-shoot of Eaton Beaver (which is French, by the way, so say it with the accent and it sounds better) but I don't think I can change it without creating a new profile here. But if we are not rocking similar euphemisms then please disregard that last line.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, thank you... I would take a job @ AC for starters. Phil is always going to nice places. Everyone is actually. Except Jerry....... he never goes anywhere.

And I dig the screen name. I usually go with KingBeevr as an off-shoot of Eaton Beaver (which is French, by the way, so say it with the accent and it sounds better) but I don't think I can change it without creating a new profile here. But if we are not rocking similar euphemisms then please disregard that last line.

Jerry is still a cool, down to earth guy though, and I enjoy his reviews. Maybe if we beg enough we can get you that job.

Thank you for the compliment, and for the (ever so brief) French lesson. Spanish is my preferred "foreign" language, but I'm suddenly very motivated to learn another.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To be fair these devices aren't released in a vacuum. They WILL be compared to one another.

To be fair, compare it to the S4 when it's announced. Obviously a brand new HTC phone will beat a year old Samsung. At least I'd hope. Vacuum or blender makes no difference. It's sad watching HTC fans so infatuated with Samsung devices.

Chris Bell3

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I like it when people who think of themselves as at the top of innovation suddenly become luddites when it comes to the cloud. You don't have to store every thing on your phone anymore.

Anyway, I really wish it had wireless charging but I guess that's not so easy with an aluminum phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I like it when people who think of themselves as at the top of innovation suddenly become luddites when it comes to the cloud. You don't have to store every thing on your phone anymore.

Anyway, I really wish it had wireless charging but I guess that's not so easy with an aluminum phone.

You do if you have limited data. I got the DNA, which has a relatively meager amount of memory. I listen to a ton of music. End result? I went from using 2-3 gigs a month to using 8 the month I got the DNA. Someone on a limited plan doesn't have that luxury.

Chris Bell3

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Create playlists and download when you are on Wifi. I'm on a limited plan too. I have about 100GB of music. I do just fine with 32GB on my phone. I used to obsess about having an iPod that could fit my entire collection. Now, as long as my whole collection is reachable from the cloud, I'm happy. Most of what I want to listen to is on my phone. If I'm in the mood for something older, I'll go ahead and stream it.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree, im dropping At&t for sprint (i Had sprint and dropped them for at&t but said id go back once they had lte in my area, and that they do!) So unlimited data with ~64Gb of Storage (Not fully of course), Seems like a no brainer. Sprint or T-Mobile lol. But i like Sprint cause they have more coverage in my area then T-Mobile. :thumbup::D

Sent From my Bigger than my Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7 :D

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It's much simpler than that even. A lot of people in populated areas seem to forget about the rest of the country and world. I live in the mountains and don't have strong service much of my day. I need storage. I could care less if it's an SD or on board.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, compare it to the S4 when it's announced. Obviously a brand new HTC phone will beat a year old Samsung. At least I'd hope. Vacuum or blender makes no difference. It's sad watching HTC fans so infatuated with Samsung devices.

Which is why I'm comparing mostly to the DNA. You could also use the Xperia Z. Or Optimus G Pro.

I would still pick the One.

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

What's the point? Samsung already lost the hardware battle. We all know they are using plastic - cheap plastic at that. Not only that but the teaser looks like they kept the same design. It looks old and outdated for sure.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What's the point? Samsung already lost the hardware battle. We all know they are using plastic - cheap plastic at that. Not only that but the teaser looks like they kept the same design. It looks old and outdated for sure.

Plastic is cheep, no doubt. Much stronger than aluminum, doesn't conduct heat like aluminum either. I think aluminum phones are like tin cans and it is awful material for durability. Sure, it is shiny though. Samsungs black and red ink compared to all others proves they are doing something right. A guy I work with is a pilot and loves his aluminum iPhone. I am all for aluminum phones, and frankly, done right, they can have some durability (nothing like polycarbonate though.) It is baffling, we bicker about materials, and take sides on molecular composition. For what? Is not it great we have choices? Does it matter who thinks what is best? Of course it matters not. It is about getting what works for yourself. Personally, I think HTC is about as crap as you can get for cheep. But I am not right.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Plastic is cheep, no doubt. Much stronger than aluminum, doesn't conduct heat like aluminum either. I think aluminum phones are like tin cans and it is awful material for durability. Sure, it is shiny though. Samsungs black and red ink compared to all others proves they are doing something right. A guy I work with is a pilot and loves his aluminum iPhone. I am all for aluminum phones, and frankly, done right, they can have some durability (nothing like polycarbonate though.) It is baffling, we bicker about materials, and take sides on molecular composition. For what? Is not it great we have choices? Does it matter who thinks what is best? Of course it matters not. It is about getting what works for yourself. Personally, I think HTC is about as crap as you can get for cheep. But I am not right.

I LOVE the polycarbonate in that HTC used for the One X. But not the polycarbonate Samsung used in the S3. USE of the material is what matters, not the material itself (for the most part anyway).

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE the polycarbonate in that HTC used for the One X. But not the polycarbonate Samsung used in the S3. USE of the material is what matters, not the material itself (for the most part anyway).

I agree. My s3 does have a plastic creaky feel. Not the greatest, but the way samsung tightened up on the note 2 is great. It is like racing, the aluminum parts look best, but that is where it ends. I like the flexibility of plastic for durability, paradoxically, feeling plastic in a phone give does not feel great. I give HTC a hard time because of my experience with them. I can't speak of the quality of the new devices, and the one looks like a phone that could sway my upgrade currently due. Need to wait on the s4 and note 3 and X. To many dang good options out there, and that is aokay with me. Back in the day it was a droid and a iphone. My how things have advanced:)

Remember when it was slider vs touchscreen keyboards? LOL!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Create playlists and download when you are on Wifi. I'm on a limited plan too. I have about 100GB of music. I do just fine with 32GB on my phone. I used to obsess about having an iPod that could fit my entire collection. Now, as long as my whole collection is reachable from the cloud, I'm happy. Most of what I want to listen to is on my phone. If I'm in the mood for something older, I'll go ahead and stream it.

32 GB is one thing. 16 is another.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 didn't fix the cheapness of Samsung. It creaks too and the silver painted trim scratches and dents way too easily just as the s3 did.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The Note 2 didn't fix the cheapness of Samsung. It creaks too and the silver painted trim scratches and dents way too easily just as the s3 did.
There is a scratch proof phone? Really? Wow, where did you discover that and how much?

My iphone ss trim scratched in a case. Just looked for scratches on my note 2, and it is an a qmadix case. No scratches. Doesn't even creak. I am speaking from owner experience. The note 2 is a beast, and anyone who actually owens one knows that lol.

I have always thought features are what make a device. If you take care of your phone, the material shouldn't matter much. Unless it begins to peal after a month lol.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There is a scratch proof phone? Really? Wow, where did you discover that and how much?

My iphone ss trim scratched in a case. Just looked for scratches on my note 2, and it is an a qmadix case. No scratches. Doesn't even creak. I am speaking from owner experience. The note 2 is a beast, and anyone who actually owens one knows that lol.

I have always thought features are what make a device. If you take care of your phone, the material shouldn't matter much. Unless it begins to peal after a month lol.

The not so subtle dig at the Thunderbolt. Lol

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Most phone companies use plastic. So does Glock, Springfield, Ruger, and many other gun manufacturers. I figure if a GUN is okay to be made out of plastic, so is a phone. Sure, it's fun to be able to tell your friends you have an aluminum phone and feel like the king of the world. But I am perfectly okay with durable, light plastic that doesn't get dinged up or warped easily. I'm not saying anything negative about the One. It looks awesome and I think it will be a huge success for HTC (for once). But I just say we should wait and compare it to the S4. That will be the true test. Any top end phone released right now SHOULD be better than the S3. That's not the benchmark here. Like Kevin said, the DNA or Nexus 4 or other newer devices should be the standard. If it makes you feel better to compare it to a year old phone so that it looks better, that's your choice. But in order to be the best you have to beat the best. We'll find out thursday if the One is the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon