Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    giper54's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts

    Default Where is the antennae

    Does anyone know where the antennae is last year's one seemed to have reception problems because it was on the back sole. Did HTC fix that and move the antennae to a different spot?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    We won't know for sure until someone cracks one open for us, but it is most likely one of the "plates" of aluminum on the back.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Well, since HTC said that the poly carbonate band around the edge was to insulate the antenna (I.e. avoid iPhone 4 like issues), OK going to make a wild guess and say around the edge of the phone, covered in polycarbonate.
    prissysox likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    giper54's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts

    Default Where is the antennae

    I notices the white edge around the sides. I hope you are correct
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    In one of the YouTube videos it mentions the antennas are integrated into back cover. See video below its at 50 sec.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Jaredshoes likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Main cell antenna is along the bottom chin. Second Rx diversity or MIMO is at the top left corner of the phone. Then Wifi and Blutooth is Top right edge.

    Hope this helps.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Actually, HTC made it clear the antennae are in the ring around the device. They are integrated into the unibody, and then that section of the unibody is covered with injection molded plastic to insulate it.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    HTC reps say it's proprietary and are unwilling to divulge any info. Possible guesses include the white lines on the back hding the antenna, the two back plates on top and bottom being large antennas themselves and alternating like how the iPhone does, or the white band around the phones sides hiding the antenna. Some sites have said the HTC reps pointed out the white band around the sides was not plastic but instead metal. That would invalidate the last theory if true. But I'm suprised how tight lip everything surrounding the HTC One has been. In fact, all devices being released this year. Not a peep about the Galaxy S IV. The Xperia Z we only knew there was a 1080p screen phone coming sometime. Back a couple years ago when a new phone was rumored, there would be a flood of videos and blurry pictures and dissections and all that. Nothing these days. Blame everyone trying to copy Steve Jobs.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    I'll just repeat myself if anyone didn't hear the answer:

    Main cell antenna is along the bottom chin. Second Rx diversity or MIMO is at the top left corner of the phone. Then Wifi and Blutooth is Top right edge.

    Check FCC filing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is the antennae-screen-shot-2013-02-28-1.32.53-am.png  
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
    Thanked by:
    MercuryStar likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    I'll just repeat myself if anyone didn't hear the answer:

    Main cell antenna is along the bottom chin. Second Rx diversity or MIMO is at the top left corner of the phone. Then Wifi and Blutooth is Top right edge.

    Check FCC filing.
    Yeah you still aren't right. The actual antennae are integrated into the band. The FCC document shows the general area where they reside. (An iPhone would show something similar, even though its antennae are integrated into its band as well) HTC made clear they were part of that band, and its common sense considering that radio signals struggle mightily trying to pass through a metal back.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    See the YouTube video posted..... At 50sec he starts going over the antenna.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    I'll just repeat myself if anyone didn't hear the answer:

    Main cell antenna is along the bottom chin. Second Rx diversity or MIMO is at the top left corner of the phone. Then Wifi and Blutooth is Top right edge.

    Check FCC filing.
    Funny how there are white polycarbonate bands running across the phone in those locations huh... Its almost as if, as I pointed out in the third post in this thread and HTC said during the announcement of the One, the polycarbonate bands insulate the anntennae

    Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    HTC reps say it's proprietary and are unwilling to divulge any info.... Some sites have said the HTC reps pointed out the white band around the sides was not plastic but instead metal.
    HTC said during the announcement that the polycarbonate bands where to insulated the anntenna. And as far as what "some sites have said HTC reps pointed out" HTC said during the announcement that the bands were polycarbonate (plastic) and went into great detail about the injection molding process they were using in order to achieve a seamless feel. It talks about it in this article. Go back and watch the announcement video if you don't believe me.
    HTC One hands-on: design and hardware
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    That's correct. The polycarbonate bands are not the antenna. The antenna is at the bottom chin as well as the top areas as I said. It's built within the unibody aluminum casing. Polycarbonate bands are essentially insulating the antenna area from the middle aluminum body of the phone.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    That's correct. The polycarbonate bands are not the antenna. The antenna is at the bottom chin as well as the top areas as I said. It's built within the unibody aluminum casing. Polycarbonate bands are essentially insulating the antenna area from the middle aluminum body of the phone.
    The polycarbonate bands are where the antennae are located. HTC has said so. They are not built into the back as you are trying to claim.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    The polycarbonate bands are where the antennae are located. HTC has said so. They are not built into the back as you are trying to claim.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Cool...

    10char
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by opteron7 View Post
    See the YouTube video posted..... At 50sec he starts going over the antenna.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Hmm... should I believe a tech blogger who is happy to have the phone, or FCC who actually has the official HTC phone requirements, and white paper submitted and had the phone opened up. Let's see...
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Hmm... should I believe a tech blogger who is happy to have the phone, or FCC who actually has the official HTC phone requirements, and white paper submitted and had the phone opened up. Let's see...
    You'll believe HTC, who has said that the antennae are part of the band. You can also drop your unearned smugness.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Hmm... should I believe a tech blogger who is happy to have the phone, or FCC who actually has the official HTC phone requirements, and white paper submitted and had the phone opened up. Let's see...
    The FCC doesn't highlight the exact path the antenna takes. They highlight the general area that the antenna is in. If the antenna was in the back as you are trying to claim, any time you grabbed the phone in a way that your hand bridged the gap between the bottom "chin" and the middle of the phone, you would signifigantly reduce your cell signal (i.e. the iPhone 4 "grip of death" issue). The polycarbonate bands are in a u-shaped channel carved into the aluminium, there is one solid piece of aluminum, not multiple pieces as you are suggesting. I suggest actually watching the HTC announcement where they go into all this in detail before making any more incorrect claims based on FCC drawings that are only meant to show general locations, not exact paths.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    You'll believe HTC, who has said that the antennae are part of the band. You can also drop your unearned smugness.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Let's see some links to back up your claim.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    The antenna is built into back door. I think its the grey strip going across back of phone

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    The FCC doesn't highlight the exact path the antenna takes. They highlight the general area that the antenna is in. If the antenna was in the back as you are trying to claim, any time you grabbed the phone in a way that your hand bridged the gap between the bottom "chin" and the middle of the phone, you would signifigantly reduce your cell signal (i.e. the iPhone 4 "grip of death" issue). The polycarbonate bands are in a u-shaped channel carved into the aluminium, there is one solid piece of aluminum, not multiple pieces as you are suggesting. I suggest actually watching the HTC announcement where they go into all this in detail before making any more incorrect claims based on FCC drawings that are only meant to show general locations, not exact paths.
    The problem with iPhone 4 was that it had a single cell antenna at the bottom of the device, with small bands around the frame separating the cell, from wifi, from bt antennas.
    HTC One has Antenna diversity, main antenna being at the bottom, secondary at the top left corner which is now a requirement for LTE MIMO, as well as CDMA/GSM operation. The antennas are actively tuned, and the plastic strips are insulating element between the antennas and the rest of aluminum unibody.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    The problem with iPhone 4 was that it had a single cell antenna at the bottom of the device, with small bands around the frame separating the cell, from wifi, from bt antennas.
    HTC One has Antenna diversity, main antenna being at the bottom, secondary at the top left corner which is now a requirement for LTE MIMO, as well as CDMA/GSM operation. The antennas are actively tuned, and the plastic strips are insulating element between the antennas and the rest of aluminum unibody.
    Except that the stirps don't entirely seperate the unibody. They are set in a channel in the unibody, which is still connected under the plastic strip. I posted a link to back up my claims. Go watch the section of the HTC announcement where they actually talk about this and go into fairly deep detail about the antenna and the polycarbonate. After that, then come back. Unless you don't want to do any research beyond looking at a picture from an FCC filing that you obviously don't understand.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Let's see some links to back up your claim.
    Go watch the video of the event. HTC made it absolutely unequivocally clear where the antennae are, and they're not in the back.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    The problem with iPhone 4 was that it had a single cell antenna at the bottom of the device, with small bands around the frame separating the cell, from wifi, from bt antennas.
    HTC One has Antenna diversity, main antenna being at the bottom, secondary at the top left corner which is now a requirement for LTE MIMO, as well as CDMA/GSM operation. The antennas are actively tuned, and the plastic strips are insulating element between the antennas and the rest of aluminum unibody.
    No. Just no.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Where is the antennae

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Go watch the video of the event. HTC made it absolutely unequivocally clear where the antennae are, and they're not in the back.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    OH I've seen it many times. Never did they claim that the antenna is the thin plastic band itself like you're trying to portray. So go watch it again.
    T-Mobile 4G LTE
    MercuryStar likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where is the Antenna on the Samsung Infuse Located?
    By sirdomino in forum AT&T Samsung Infuse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 03:41 PM
  2. Where is the Antenna located in the Motorola Droid?
    By ssanders2k7 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM
  4. where is the 'at' symbol ( @ ) on the qwerty keyboard?
    By gg2005c in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2009, 08:09 PM
  5. Where is the thread for the round robin contest?
    By pinguino1 in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions