Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 756
Like Tree406Likes
  1. #201  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    While I won't be getting the HTC One (I'm personally waiting to see what Moto's X phone brings to the table), I personally think it's HTC's best phone yet. I love the build quality, expect superb sound and optic quality based on experiences from past HTC phones, and am OK with the Sense 5 skin. BlinkFeed is fine, but it bugs me that they force you to make it your main homescreen. I hope (and realistically think) that this phone at least keeps HTC going to finally get themselves up from their slump, and at best can become another big player in the Android game by being a big hit.

    I wasn't going to make any comment on the S3, but since the One is constantly getting compared to it and it's successor the S IV, I'll state my opinion them: I agree that compared to HTC and in many cases, Motorola (I can't argue too much on LG) Samsung's build quality (ie materials used to make the phone, how long those materials last compared to the duration of a contract) is inferior. That doesn't mean that it's the worst overall phone. The S3 (if you look back on when it came out) didn't come with a TON of exclusive features. TouchWiz has always looked the same, the build quality has always been similar (how different is the SII to the S3? Not very), etc etc. But what made the S3 such a huge hit was 2 things: Marketing, and Samsung SMARTLY produced a phone that offered a collection of (few) new features that made it an optimum choice for the general public. I'll elaborate on this further if asked to, but for the sake of conciseness, I'll leave it at that.

    The S IV will probably carry on what worked for Sammy in the S3. Yes, that means Touchwiz will likely look the same, and they will likely use the same materials as before. But it will likely be a hit because it now has a name as well known as the iPhone. They will maintain that momentum by choosing a collection of new features that are also very applicable to the general consumer, such as this Wallet service they are working on. My only gripe is that they are using their good standing to make Samsung-Specific features similar to Google services that they have been struggling to push foe months (ie Google Wallet). Imagine if the S IV had Google Wallet instead of their own... all of the partnership troubles Google's been having would be solved just because everyone will want the S IV with that "cool feature."

    To sum it up, HTC has a great opportunity to get some momentum back with the HTC One because it is an amazing phone. I believe that the One is a good enough phone to successfully compete with the giant that is Samsung. However, to do that they now need to push their features via the best marketing push they can muster, and do well with reviewers. And next year, they need to respond to the needs and reaction of the market (ie, "The people wanted more storage," or "Blinkfeed wasn't a great hit," etc). Again, I do believe that the HTC One is one of the best Android has to offer, and I hope that the mass market recognizes that and give it a chance as much as it did for the S3.
    go3go likes this.
  2. #202  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    I'd like to know also I already got an email from HTC saying I have to buy my phone by 3/22 if I want to take advantage of there 100 dollar deal for trade in but I'm hoping to sell my phone and accessories on Craigs List. But I read March 22 somewhere online too. But it said AT&T and T Mobile didn't mention Sprint.
  3. #203  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    I feel Samsung is getting apple syndrome and is going to lose innovation and be too greedy in making all of Google's features "there own original ideas" anyone agree?

    Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #204  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Everywhere I've seen says you have to buy the phone by 3/31 not 3/22.
  5. #205  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by atrix2noob View Post
    I feel Samsung is getting apple syndrome and is going to lose innovation and be too greedy in making all of Google's features "there own original ideas" anyone agree?

    Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    I feel HTC is getting BlackBerry syndrome: they think they can compete with Samsung, when in actuality, the game is over and HTC has already lost, they just don't know it yet(or want to know).

    I'm a former HTC fanboy who finally walked away, tired of chasing good battery life. Lack of innovation didn't help either. Nexus One, HTC ThunderBolt, HTC DNA....done.

    My prediction? The HTC One will affect the S4 sales....Not.One.Bit.
    "Greetings, people. Greetings. Greetings and salutations. What a beautiful day for a ball game. Let's play two!"
    Thanked by:
    SamsungGalaxySII likes this.
  6. #206  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    HTC already said they weren't trying to compete directly with anyone, they weren't trying to be number 1. They said something to the effect of.... Reaching your target audience and selling and making a profit is how they were defining success. Sounded to me like they are doing anything but going directly after Samsung .

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.
  7. #207  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Agreed very much so, but does Motorola/Google have a chance of affecting s4 sales with the upcoming x phone? Since it's suppose to be out of this world good according to all the rumors

    Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #208  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by atrix2noob View Post
    Agreed very much so, but does Motorola/Google have a chance of affecting s4 sales with the upcoming x phone? Since it's suppose to be out of this world good according to all the rumors

    Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Out of Samsung, HTC, and Motorola - Motorola is doing the worst (the ones actually losing money).

    Motorola will need to do the same things that HTC needs to do with the One.

    1. Make a great phone. This is the easy part. You have to really try hard to make a phone that doesn't suck.

    2. Make the "same" great phone available on all carriers. Grow a pair and take a stand with the carriers. Of course, there will be carrier variants just because of the different networks. But follow the Galaxy S3 model.

    3. Market your great phone like crazy. Motorola is part of Google. Google has a wide reach. Take advantage.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    atrix2noob likes this.
  9. #209  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Out of Samsung, HTC, and Motorola - Motorola is doing the worst (the ones actually losing money).

    Motorola will need to do the same things that HTC needs to do with the One.

    1. Make a great phone. This is the easy part. You have to really try hard to make a phone that doesn't suck.

    2. Make the "same" great phone available on all carriers. Grow a pair and take a stand with the carriers. Of course, there will be carrier variants just because of the different networks. But follow the Galaxy S3 model.

    3. Market your great phone like crazy. Motorola is part of Google. Google has a wide reach. Take advantage.
    As far as how Moto can come back, I agree with you. #2 is paramount if they are going to get the market reach that they need. They are never going to make a name for themselves being exclusively partnered with VZW.

    They only thing I really can't agree on is that Moto is doing worse than HTC. It's kind of hard to tell since Google is not Moto's parent company. Q4 2012 was a loss for both, maybe I haven't really been paying as close attention to who is losing more.
    Motorola Moto X on Verizon
    -Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid 4 (Ret)
    -HTC Droid Incredible 2 (Ret)
    -Motorola Droid (Ret)
  10. #210  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by AMTrombley0924 View Post
    As far as how Moto can come back, I agree with you. #2 is paramount if they are going to get the market reach that they need. They are never going to make a name for themselves being exclusively partnered with VZW.

    They only thing I really can't agree on is that Moto is doing worse than HTC. It's kind of hard to tell since Google is not Moto's parent company. Q4 2012 was a loss for both, maybe I haven't really been paying as close attention to who is losing more.
    Google's Q4 2012: Revenue at $14.42 billion, not counting Motorola | Android Central

    Motorola, which Google continues to operate as a separate company, saw revenue of $1.51 billion, but an operating loss of $353 million.
    HTC posts ugly Q4 2012 profits of just $35 million | Android Central

    but last year HTC only was able to pull in just NT$1 billion ( about $34.5 million)
    So in Q4 2012, Motorola operated at a $353 million loss. In the same quarter, HTC pulled in $34.5 million in profit.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  11. #211  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    I just hope HTC doesn't go under if this phones sales doesn't do well. Why do they have to beat Samsung? They can have a healthy competition against each other and give the customers more options. Its nice that they are now making non plastic phones which will be an improvement over Samsung if they keep making plastic phones. Both phones are good, pointless arguments.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  12. #212  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    HTC? Psh. Samsung's gonna beat HTC this year anyways.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    satannik likes this.
  13. #213  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Samsung succeeded for more reasons than this. But my feeling is the HTC One will do quite well as people don't like cheap plasticky feeling devices which is all Samsung makes. One flaw in your argument is that Verizon has still not said if they will sell the one yet. Don't know what they are thinking because the DNA is not the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    And that reason is this: HTC FINALLY made ONE phone with ONE name for MULTIPLE carriers. I can't tell you how incredibly annoying it is to follow HTC phones because theres so many variants for so many carriers and no two are alike so one carrier may get a worse phone (One S) despite a superior phone for another carrier launching alongside it (One X). Last year alone we had One S, One X, One X+, One V, One XV, etc etc etc. Who the hell can figure out which is the better phone based on this? More importantly, how do you market this? You're also giving certain carriers better phones than other carries and isolating them.

    Thats why Samsung succeed with the Galaxy S3. One S3, one name, ALL CARRIERS. Marketing becomes FAR easier when its just one product you can focus your attention on. HTC could never do this, but now it can. iPhone is popular why? THERE'S ONE iPhone! Theres no iPhone 5X, or iPhone 5SSJ3Goku. One phone, multiple carriers. In my opinion, HTC wins in the design department by far when compared to Samsung phones. Samsung has the features though. But Blinkfeed looks interesting and the camera looks great so as long as HTC pours some marketing dollars into showing how these things can impact our everyday lives, it'll win. Nothing sucks more then HTC advertising a phone, then you go to your carrier to see if they have it and finding out its only on Sprint, or ATT. I made that mistake convincing my brother to get a One S thinking it should be the same as the One X just a different carrier, then realizing the screen is worse, no NFC, camera is about the same but everything else was not as good.

    People will see a phone thats just as sexy as the iPhone, with a great camera, and a good enough supporting cast of features. I think HTC has a winner on their hands with this one and will give Samsung a run for their money.
    - - - Updated - - -

    You have to try hard to make a phone that doesn't suck? really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Out of Samsung, HTC, and Motorola - Motorola is doing the worst (the ones actually losing money).

    Motorola will need to do the same things that HTC needs to do with the One.

    1. Make a great phone. This is the easy part. You have to really try hard to make a phone that doesn't suck.

    2. Make the "same" great phone available on all carriers. Grow a pair and take a stand with the carriers. Of course, there will be carrier variants just because of the different networks. But follow the Galaxy S3 model.

    3. Market your great phone like crazy. Motorola is part of Google. Google has a wide reach. Take advantage.
  14. #214  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    You have to try hard to make a phone that doesn't suck? really?
    Yes. Really.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  15. #215  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    +1, but to make the best that's tough, a good one not that hard honestly

    Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #216  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    This phone is going to fail for two simple reasons that HTC is to stupid to realize ..

    - Marketing should have already begun.
    - The phone should have been released already.

    Let me explain. No one km knows this phone exist. In a few days, everyone is going to know the S4 exist.... By HTC not marketing this phone from the announcement, they just killed themselves.

    The phone should have been announced, commercials should have been rowing right after, and last, the phone needed to be out BEFORE Samsung's announcement of the S4.
    United States Air Force
  17. #217  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    I hate to say it but I couldn't agree more. Aside from all of us how is anyone supposed to know it exists.. It would have been so easy to make a few commercials of someone playing with their kid or dropping their kid off for the first day of school and another of some twenty somethings all partying taking pictures and then shown what Zoe can do... Focus on that alone, can't be hard.. They would have sold this phone but I agree that it's too late... It's all just so crazy to me

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #218  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by turb0wned View Post
    This phone is going to fail for two simple reasons that HTC is to stupid to realize ..

    - Marketing should have already begun.
    - The phone should have been released already.

    Let me explain. No one km knows this phone exist. In a few days, everyone is going to know the S4 exist.... By HTC not marketing this phone from the announcement, they just killed themselves.

    The phone should have been announced, commercials should have been rowing right after, and last, the phone needed to be out BEFORE Samsung's announcement of the S4.
    Agreed. Should be up for pre sale at least while the hype is still there from the release. There at least should be some ads running by now since they don't have as much in the way of competition right now...
  19. #219  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    This is what Apple gets right.

    Pre-order (or announcement of pre-order) right after the product reveal/announcement with availability one to two weeks after. None of this one and half months to two months of BS.

    Samsung's really trying to be hard be Apple. Next step for them is to copy that reveal/release window. Every OEM needs to copy that.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  20. #220  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    This is what Apple gets right.

    Pre-order (or announcement of pre-order) right after the product reveal/announcement with availability one to two weeks after. None of this one and half months to two months of BS.

    Samsung's really trying to be hard be Apple. Next step for them is to copy that reveal/release window. Every OEM needs to copy that.
    Which is why keeping it secret for as long as possible is important as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    msndrstood likes this.
  21. #221  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by jiggyb21 View Post
    Which is why keeping it secret for as long as possible is important as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    These days nothing seems to remain a secret. There seem to be leaks for every new product (some of them definitely seem intentional too.)
  22. #222  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    This is what Apple gets right.

    Pre-order (or announcement of pre-order) right after the product reveal/announcement with availability one to two weeks after. None of this one and half months to two months of BS.

    Samsung's really trying to be hard be Apple. Next step for them is to copy that reveal/release window. Every OEM needs to copy that.
    Yep, my gf pre ordered her iphone 5 like 17 hours after the release. There have been plenty of phones I eventually passed up, but would have bought had they employed the same instant availability as apple. No point in making a big deal of a release if you give people 2 months to forget about the product. Tech moves way too fast and there's always something bigger and better to distract people.
  23. #223  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    It's funny.... Rumor now has it that the Xperia ZL will be released very soon. That was the one I wanted before the HTC One but that was hyped even earlier....

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  24. #224  

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    ^I really liked the way the zl looked too. I've basically been sitting around the last 2 months with my contract up waiting for phones to finally get released. Honestly, I probably would have bought the zl had it come out near to when it was announced at ces.
  25. #225  
    BigDinCA's Avatar

    Posts
    882 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: The HTC One will be a hit, pass Galaxy S4 for ONE reason..

    Quote Originally Posted by turb0wned View Post
    This phone is going to fail for two simple reasons that HTC is to stupid to realize ..

    - Marketing should have already begun.
    - The phone should have been released already.

    Let me explain. No one km knows this phone exist. In a few days, everyone is going to know the S4 exist.... By HTC not marketing this phone from the announcement, they just killed themselves.

    The phone should have been announced, commercials should have been rowing right after, and last, the phone needed to be out BEFORE Samsung's announcement of the S4.
    I would love to agree with some of your points, but dissing a company that pulled in a $35 million profit last quarter, while using that atrocious spelling and grammar, is making it difficult. I do agree that the marketing push should be going on right now. As for releasing it, with the exception of the iPhone a couple weeks after announcing and low-end phones releasing without much announcement at all, nobody announces and releases that quick. I'm not saying I agree with the practice, but if following that schedule is a nail in the coffin then Samsung would be screwed with their devices as well. The GS3 was announced in the beginning of May last year, but didn't show up here until mid-June. It's more about the marketing than anything, although I think HTC will do just fine this year with the One. Will they beat Sammy? Probably not, but they will survive and probably grow substantially. While we here in the Nerd Herd are looking at everything, the average consumer will see the screen, the front-facing speakers and the aluminum body and be hooked.
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will The HTC Evo Shift Be Getting JoyOS?
    By megaghostgamer in forum HTC EVO Shift 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 05:19 PM
  2. Will the HTC Sensation 4G be rooted/jail broken anytime soon?
    By SirMario in forum T-Mobile HTC Sensation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 05:44 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 05:35 PM
  4. Coming from the INC this will be a welcomed asset
    By MotoDroidx17 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM
  5. Anyone know when the charging dock will be available?
    By Theodore55 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions