Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Matthew Merkle
  • 1 Post By jeffreytz
  • 3 Post By Wullie32
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,042 Global Posts

Default Zoes and automatic uploads ...

So a heads up for folks (like me) who like to auto-upload images to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever ...

When you take a Zoe picture, you'll actually end up with 19 jpgs and one mp4. And those will all upload to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever. So basically my upload folders are a freakin' mess right now.

Zoes and automatic uploads ...-zoe-doropbox.jpeg

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Zoes and automatic uploads ...

That's just fantastic. You have fun with that. Meanwhile, the possible delay will give me time to get my upload settings figured out and folders prepared accordingly. I hope they keep Zoe going for the long-term. If they do then eventually they can correct for these kind of messes, maybe even work on the file format/file conversion.

On the one hand, that's annoying. On the other hand, I don't think I'd want it any other way. Using a proprietary format for Zoes would just mean another dead format. This way, you have everything they use to make a Zoe without having to use proprietary software to use it.

However, based on the naming system you show in that screenshot, it looks like Zoes are using the exact same system that previous HTC devices (like the One X) used for their burst fire mode. And the result is similar, 20 photos being uploaded to Dropbox before you have a chance to do anything about it. Again, annoying, but I can deal. Doesn't take that much effort to "select all, delete".
    patrixl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    So a heads up for folks (like me) who like to auto-upload images to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever ...

When you take a Zoe picture, you'll actually end up with 19 jpgs and one mp4. And those will all upload to Dropbox or Google+ or wherever. So basically my upload folders are a freakin' mess right now.
    Does it stick them in individual folders like the 100BURST mode on the One X, or throws them all in the directory quick and dirty?

Sent from my Nexus Potato 10 using internets.

Does it only upload them all to Dropbox whilst on wifi? If not, I can see it eating through data and most of us, bar a couple of carriers, here in the UK don't have unlimited data plans

Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    Does it only upload them all to Dropbox whilst on wifi? If not, I can see it eating through data and most of us, bar a couple of carriers, here in the UK don't have unlimited data plans
    That's up to Dropbox (currently has an option to enable or disable camera uploads over mobile data).

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Merkle View Post
    That's up to Dropbox (currently has an option to enable or disable camera uploads over mobile data).
    I better check the settings on my Dropbox account then. Currently neither of my phones do but I was wondering if it was a setting on the phone rather than on Dropbox. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    I better check the settings on my Dropbox account then. Currently neither of my phones do but I was wondering if it was a setting on the phone rather than on Dropbox. Thanks for clarifying.
    Specifically, in the Dropbox app on your phone, go to Settings, and it's in the Camera Upload section.
    Thanked by:
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Makes for a cool looking screenshot though
    JT
    Nexus 5, Nexus 7 LTE, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    garyft likes this.

This might be old news but it wasn't for me, found a pretty good solution for this on XDA after becoming annoyed again about not having auto-upload after showing my mam how to use it on her S2.

Download the free version of Dropsync from the Play Store
    This lets you choose one folder to be auto-synced to a folder on Dropbox, as usual - choose DCIM/100MEDIA which is the standard camera folder, and Upload only.
    Then in settings, choose "Exclude Name Patterns" and enter the following: **/DCIM/100MEDIA/IMAG*_ZOE???. jpg

It will then upload everything in your current 100MEDIA folder to Dropbox, as well as future stuff obviously, but because of what you've excluded, it will only upload the Zoe video file and one JPG - the one taken when you pressed the shutter button. Easy to set up and works great.

XDA thread is here: Zoe and Dropbox. - xda-developers

Hope this helps anyone who misses their auto-upload or puts up with a ludicrous amount of ZOE images in their Dropbox!

HUGE thanks. I'm setting this up tomorrow. You rock!
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Worked great! A fast and easy solution

I heard this is fixed in the 4.2.2 update?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    I heard this is fixed in the 4.2.2 update?

Fixed how?
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

The problem with the (free) version of dropsync is that it caps at 8MB file size, so while you don't get 100 million zoe shots, you also don't get your videos. Maybe that works for you (it doesn't for me). The paid version removes this restriction.

I switched to flicker, it only uploads the first zoe shot. However it doesn't do video, have it synching nightly to my home nas to backup the rest.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    Fixed how?
    not sure how, but I saw several links with folks running 4.2.2. that says it's fixed. I can't find the one i saw last night, but found this one:

HTC fixes Zoe for non HTC apps in 4.2.2 | Land of Droid: Android Apps Android Phones Android News Android

I didn't think this was a problem per se. Dropbox's app just automatically uploads everything if you have that function checked, meaning that all of the individual stills of a zoe are uploaded. This is my understanding, so I don't see how an upgrade to the operating system could change how dropbox manages its "auto upload" feature.

However, a change in the way that HTC's Sense 5 manages the way that zoes are stored on the device could prevent Dropbox's app from uploading every individual still shot that forms a zoe.

Hi Phil,

Do you have any idea to make this function appear again? Whenever i use auto upload in Dropbox it only saves the first Zoe picture, and the rest as a video. I do, however, want to have access to all the different jpgs from the Zoe (as you picture above).

Any idea how to accomplish this? i dont feel like going through all my zoes on my computer and separate/split each frame individually with an external application.

Cheers

Open the Zoe in Gallery. Let it play for a moment. When it is done playing, drag the timeline to a stillshot you want to keep, then press the 3 dot menu. Click Save Frame. It will appear next to the Zoe in Gallery