Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Vectraat's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default HTC One Software/UI

    I'm curious to know if anyone trustworthy has got enough hands-on time with the HTC One that can rate the software?

    E.G. Blinkfeed and any other HTC software.

    A friend of mine is telling me to avoid HTC because of poor UI/Software - which slows down the phones.

    I actually found the S3's software to be pretty ty/lagtastic. I sold it within a month.

    I'm now using a Sony Xperia Arco S (borrowed) and I have to say it seems faster than the S3. Real sad.

    So I'm looking for a replacement....

    Also how is the camera? Are there any comparisons out there?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    At this point, the phones are fast enough that the skins don't really reflect on performance. ANY skin, even a minor one, is going to be "slower" than stock Android.

    That said, there's been initial coverage of the phone already, and none of the reviews have said any problems with lag. And yes, many reviews have comparison photos. In general, the camera does much better than any other smartphone in low light (except the Nokia Pureview 808 which is less a smartphone and more a camera with a phone tacked on). However, you trade detail to gain that low light performance. As long as you don't intend to print out 8.5"x11" photos from your phone camera, this shouldn't matter. The images look fine at typical web sizes.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  3. #3  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    I want Blinkfeed on my nexus 4. does anyone know if there is an apk that I can get and side load it?

    anyone have extensive use of the new Blinkfeed and can shed some light on it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  4. #4  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by kevlarian View Post
    I want Blinkfeed on my nexus 4. does anyone know if there is an apk that I can get and side load it?

    anyone have extensive use of the new Blinkfeed and can shed some light on it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Blinkfeed is just Flipboard.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Blinkfeed is just Flipboard.
    not exactly


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Vectraat's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Merkle View Post
    At this point, the phones are fast enough that the skins don't really reflect on performance. ANY skin, even a minor one, is going to be "slower" than stock Android.

    That said, there's been initial coverage of the phone already, and none of the reviews have said any problems with lag. And yes, many reviews have comparison photos. In general, the camera does much better than any other smartphone in low light (except the Nokia Pureview 808 which is less a smartphone and more a camera with a phone tacked on). However, you trade detail to gain that low light performance. As long as you don't intend to print out 8.5"x11" photos from your phone camera, this shouldn't matter. The images look fine at typical web sizes.
    Not sure I follow your first statement.
    You say that phones are fast enough that the skins don't really reflect on performance, then you go on to say any skin that isn't stock Android is going to be slower....

    I have to disagree with this assertion. My S3 lagged when opening MMS/Closing and Opening/Closing my contacts. It also lagged slightly when it came to others tasks. Not always, but some of the time. So the way I feel about Android is - you can throw the kitchen sink at it in terms of specs, but specs alone won't determine the overall performance. It comes down to the actual OS itself.

    I've yet to see any lag on WP8. So this is why I asked about HTC and Blinkfeed. Also, I find that reviewers don't generally cover the software aspects of the UI when it comes to Android.

    Would you be able to link HTC One comparison photos?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by Vectraat View Post
    Not sure I follow your first statement.
    You say that phones are fast enough that the skins don't really reflect on performance, then you go on to say any skin that isn't stock Android is going to be slower....

    I have to disagree with this assertion. My S3 lagged when opening MMS/Closing and Opening/Closing my contacts. It also lagged slightly when it came to others tasks. Not always, but some of the time. So the way I feel about Android is - you can throw the kitchen sink at it in terms of specs, but specs alone won't determine the overall performance. It comes down to the actual OS itself.

    I've yet to see any lag on WP8. So this is why I asked about HTC and Blinkfeed. Also, I find that reviewers don't generally cover the software aspects of the UI when it comes to Android.

    Would you be able to link HTC One comparison photos?
    A lot of the reviews out so far have said that HTC did a great job of optimizing sense with this latest version. While they said sense 4 was lighter weight, it appears that sense 5 actually delivers on that. Specifically, it was compared to the Optimus G pro, which has a similar chipset, and was found to be faster.

    Also, blinkfeed appears to have no ill effects on speed. The fact that you can set it to only auto refresh on wifi seems to help.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by kevlarian View Post
    not exactly


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Yeah, it is. More or less.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by Vectraat View Post
    Not sure I follow your first statement.
    You say that phones are fast enough that the skins don't really reflect on performance, then you go on to say any skin that isn't stock Android is going to be slower....
    It's a matter of perception versus benchmarks. They will not be perceptibly slower, but you can see it in a benchmark.

    I have to disagree with this assertion. My S3 lagged when opening MMS/Closing and Opening/Closing my contacts. It also lagged slightly when it came to others tasks. Not always, but some of the time. So the way I feel about Android is - you can throw the kitchen sink at it in terms of specs, but specs alone won't determine the overall performance. It comes down to the actual OS itself.
    I don't consider apps like that to be a skin really, although I can see why you would. That is simply poor programming (Samsung doesn't have the best software engineers, see also the several security debacles).

    I've yet to see any lag on WP8. So this is why I asked about HTC and Blinkfeed. Also, I find that reviewers don't generally cover the software aspects of the UI when it comes to Android.

    Would you be able to link HTC One comparison photos?
    I'd look them up, but I'd just be doing what you can (aka, look at other threads in this forum or google for reviews :P).
  10. #10  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    48 hours with my One and it is definitely quicker than my SG2 and more responsive than my son's SG3. Lags and stutters are really more down to what else you have got going on at the same time but I agree with the comment about how powerful these things have gotten now, a quad core cpu and 2gb of ram really wouldn't look out of place on a Windows 8 PC.

    To give you a more real world example, when I have been playing about with different apps and subsequently come to unistall them it always took my SG2 a few seconds to get to work, then a few more to do the job, again depending on what else it was doing at the time. On the One, by the time you confirm the uninstall and it flicks over to the progress screen, the job is done already and you are just left to hit OK.

    As for the UI, well, you either love it or hate it. I loved Sense on my Desire and then hated TouchWizz on the SG2. I can see the improvements in Sense 5.0 but it still has the annoying omission of any support whatsoever for any kind of landscape use. Once again it is subjective but I think that on a large screen smart phone, landscape should be an option. I am back to using Nova already, does what it should, relatively lightweight and plenty customisable.

    At first glance Blinkfeed is a nice idea,, and well executed, but very limited in the amount of feeds it can tap into. If you dig deeper into the catergories though, there is a lot more content to be had. Personally I prefer not to be presented with random info, just as when I look at my Twitter or Facebook feeds I want to see the whole picture rather than just highlights. HTC say the idea is to give you an overview in 30 seconds, but what actually happens is that you end up getting side tracked into feeds and stories that you wouldn't usually bother with.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by Vectraat View Post
    Not sure I follow your first statement.
    You say that phones are fast enough that the skins don't really reflect on performance, then you go on to say any skin that isn't stock Android is going to be slower....

    I have to disagree with this assertion. My S3 lagged when opening MMS/Closing and Opening/Closing my contacts. It also lagged slightly when it came to others tasks. Not always, but some of the time. So the way I feel about Android is - you can throw the kitchen sink at it in terms of specs, but specs alone won't determine the overall performance. It comes down to the actual OS itself.

    I've yet to see any lag on WP8. So this is why I asked about HTC and Blinkfeed. Also, I find that reviewers don't generally cover the software aspects of the UI when it comes to Android.

    Would you be able to link HTC One comparison photos?
    My S3 lagged horribly pretty much all the time too.

    Also, there are a number of thread on the first page of this very HTC One forum that are to do with the camera on the HTC, including one thread that compares the HTC with the S4.
  12. #12  
    bigrey81's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 and 4.2 stock

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Yeah, it is. More or less.
    if your saying more or less then not exactly is correct....wow
  13. #13  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrey81 View Post
    if your saying more or less then not exactly is correct....wow
    You're right in the sense the it is not literally, isomorphically the same thing. But functionally and aesthetically, it is more or less identical. Derp.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: HTC One Software/UI

    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    You're right in the sense the it is not literally, isomorphically the same thing. But functionally and aesthetically, it is more or less identical. Derp.
    No, It isn't. You apparently haven't used flipboard, because it functions absolutely nothing like blink feed. Not even remotely similar.

Similar Threads

  1. HTC ONE Software Updates
    By andrew53517 in forum HTC One
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
  2. HTC One S Hardware or Software Issue?
    By Deaconclgi in forum HTC One S
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
  3. HTC One S (T-Mobile) Software Update
    By venious in forum HTC One S
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
  4. HTC One X software update on O2
    By m13kyf in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 12:09 PM
  5. HTC One S Software Getting A 60MB Update
    By ingram1225 in forum HTC One S
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Posting Permissions

B