Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By davekr
  • 3 Post By Highrisedrifter
  • 1 Post By Highrisedrifter
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Default Group Messaging (Use MMS when sending to multiple recipients)?

Does anyone know if the One supports the Group Messaging option that is available on stock Android 4.2? I currently have a Nexus 4, which supports this in the stock Messaging app. I love the hardware on the One so I have been thinking about getting it when it comes out, but I have a lot of friends with iPhones that send group messages so I don't want to lose the ability to participate in group messages like I can with my Nexus. This is one of the little things that would make me want the One even more if it was supported.

Thanks!
    Thanked by:
    Chalvy likes this.

Default Re: Group Messaging (Use MMS when sending to multiple recipients)?

Quote Originally Posted by davekr View Post
    Does anyone know if the One supports the Group Messaging option that is available on stock Android 4.2? I currently have a Nexus 4, which supports this in the stock Messaging app. I love the hardware on the One so I have been thinking about getting it when it comes out, but I have a lot of friends with iPhones that send group messages so I don't want to lose the ability to participate in group messages like I can with my Nexus. This is one of the little things that would make me want the One even more if it was supported.

Thanks!
    Yes group MMS is available in stock app, fluid and fast too!

Group Messaging (Use MMS when sending to multiple recipients)?-uploadfromtaptalk1364297352064.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Does it work with iphone users too? When you receive a group message from an iphone user, are you part of the thread are do you get a separate message?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

To be clear, the option that I'm asking about is not sending an MMS to multiple people. Rather, it is the same option that the iPhone and stock Android 4.2 has, where sending an SMS to multiple people can be converted to an MMS, which allows for replies from everyone to be kept in one thread. In previous versions of Android, sending an SMS to multiple people would simply result in the phone sending out individual SMS to each user listed so if one person replied, it wouldn't go to the whole group. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply!

To be clear, the option that I'm asking about is not sending an MMS to multiple people. Rather, it is the same option that the iPhone and stock Android 4.2 has, where sending an SMS to multiple people can be converted to an MMS, which allows for replies from everyone to be kept in one thread. In previous versions of Android, sending an SMS to multiple people would simply result in the phone sending out individual SMS to each user listed so if one person replied, it wouldn't go to the whole group. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the reply!
    Yes. See below

Thanked by 2:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the info. How do you like the phone?

Awesome. Thanks for the info. How do you like the phone?
    No worries. if you have any other questions, just fire them over. The phone is absolutely amazing. Such an improvement over my S2 and I use the One more than I use my iPhone 5 now too. I'm very pleased with battery life as I can easily get two days out of the phone with my low/moderate use. To be honest, it's one of the best looking, robust and easiest to use phones I have ever had.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Glad to hear that you like it! How is the camera for you? I've got a Nexus 4 right now and its camera is nothing to brag about. I'm assuming the One would be a decent improvement there. Also, do you happen to know if it supports Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 or higher? Stock Android only supports AVRCP 1.0 so I don't get any artist or track info when I play music through my car stereo.

Glad to hear that you like it! How is the camera for you? I've got a Nexus 4 right now and its camera is nothing to brag about. I'm assuming the One would be a decent improvement there. Also, do you happen to know if it supports Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 or higher? Stock Android only supports AVRCP 1.0 so I don't get any artist or track info when I play music through my car stereo.
    I rate the camera an 8 out of 10. It's certainly good and it picks up massive amounts of light in a low-light situation. It's not the best out there but for what i need it for, it is easily more than adequate. Here's a shot I took on Sunday.

I confess I don't know about the AVRCP support yet as I haven't tried it in my car.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I'm mainly looking for a camera that can focus quickly and get clear shots of my two boys, who are always running around. The Nexus doesn't do the best job with this, so I'm hoping the One will be an improvement there. I never print out pics that I take with my phone, so the low megapixel count doesn't bother me too much if it gets clear pics.

It seemed to be pretty quick to focus when I was playing around with it yesterday. I'll do some more tests once the screen/rear protectors have dried in place.
    Thanked by 2:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Pics are more than good enough for phone screen and social networking, it's the quickest I've used, from home screen to opening camera app to taking the photo.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I have done some more tests today and it seems to take around a second from hitting the app homescreen icon to the camera focusing on what I want to photograph. Obviously that isn't scientific, just my perception. But it IS fast though.
    Russ Smith likes this.

I'm mainly looking for a camera that can focus quickly and get clear shots of my two boys, who are always running around. The Nexus doesn't do the best job with this, so I'm hoping the One will be an improvement there. I never print out pics that I take with my phone, so the low megapixel count doesn't bother me too much if it gets clear pics.
    HTC camera software will also be excellent for catching children running around. Check out this video for just one idea of how this innovation is going to change the way we capture memories!

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

Although the thread has digressed, thank you OP for a great question. I have been using GO SMS Pro for so long that I didn't even think when installing it on mine! Awesome find.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Being that you use this now, can you just clarify if this works as well as it does on the iPhone? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jw nyc View Post
    Being that you use this now, can you just clarify if this works as well as it does on the iPhone? Thanks.
    As both an iPhone and an HTC One owner, there are some differences but that's mainly down to looks. It seems to function in a similar way to the iphone.

i live chatted on the HTC one website, this is the response:

"Unfortunately, I do not have access to this information however I would have to say if the stock Android Bluetooth stacks only support 1.0, the likelihood is that our device will be the same."

Hi, i am able to Send group messages but only receive them as individual messages rather than the messages being a part of group thread When people respond what am i doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by VJKotts View Post
    Does it work with iphone users too? When you receive a group message from an iphone user, are you part of the thread are do you get a separate message?
    Not really. If you receive a group message form iMessage users they come as separate messages and you can not easily reply to everyone.

Get them to use GroupMe it's awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
    i live chatted on the HTC one website, this is the response:

"Unfortunately, I do not have access to this information however I would have to say if the stock Android Bluetooth stacks only support 1.0, the likelihood is that our device will be the same."
    I'm not sure about whether it actually supports 1.3 or higher, but I do know that when I connect via Bluetooth and play music through my car stereo, I get artist/track/album information displayed on my stereo.