HTC One = Total Fail?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What use is a phone face up unless your head is right over the screen? Most people put the screen at an angle, which makes what you're talking about completely useless.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Well, often I'm with my mates I'll set a song for poker night or a forest adventure or whatnot. I don't hold the phone the whole damn time, I set it down and kind of like to be able to peek at the screen now and then to see what's playing or skip a song.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
What use is a phone face up unless your head is right over the screen? Most people put the screen at an angle, which makes what you're talking about completely useless.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

The phone is useless with the screen facing up? Really? Is it more useful facing down?

And the whole point of that comment was my phone has rear speakers that are useful with the screen facing up or down

Sent from my Note 2

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
HTC should have done with the speakers what Pantech did last year with the speakers on their Discover model. Larger and side mounted. It wouldn't take away from screen space and it gives better stereo separation
How are speakers that are closer together going to provide better separation? If I'm watching a video, sans headphones, the speakers you show will be firing up and down so any stereo effect is misplaced and the audio isn't directed at the user.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with the speakers? They sound fraking awesome.

I didn't say there was anything wrong. I think this would have been better. Anything can be improved, right?

- - - Updated - - -

How are speakers that are closer together going to provide better separation? If I'm watching a video, sans headphones, the speakers you show will be firing up and down so any stereo effect is misplaced and the audio isn't directed at the user.

They're not closer, they are further apart, and they fire to the sides.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
They're not closer, they are further apart, and they fire to the sides.
I must be confused. In the picture you posted those speakers are on either side of the device and maybe a couple inches apart firing left and right. If you then turn the phone 90 degrees to watch a video they'll be firing up and down. Because they're on either side of the device they'll be closer together than the speakers on the HTC One which are at either end of the long axis of the screen.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Which means when in portrait the R-L stereo becomes Up-Down.
Let's face it, no placement is perfect.

Speakers on all 4 sides of the phone using the gyroscope/accelerometer for left and right designation.... Could be cool, just a thought

Sent from my Note 2

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Most of your comments about things you have never seen for yourself and a lot of assumptions.

I really wanted to like this phone but having a hard time not viewing it as a total fail. My S3 is the best phone I've ever had but I'm only loyal until something newer and shinier comes out and would've gladly jumped back to HTC if the One didn't fail in so many areas.

1. If HTC was going to chintz on the megapixels and take a HUGE marketing risk, they should've made sure the camera was the best available or at least as good as it's main rivals. From all the reviews I've read, the camera is decent but clearly not on par with the best. Good in low light but that's about it?

2. Running older version of Jelly Bean? Really? has HTC fallen so far that it couldn't get 4.2.2 like the S4 and can anyone honestly say it will get Key Lime Pie in a timely fashion? Anyone want to bet whether the S4 gets it first?

3. Blinkfeed, if I wanted Flipboard, I would download Flipboard not have it front and center.

4. Battery life. Most reviews are on the HSPA+ version, not the US LTE Version so reviews are practically worthless and even then battery life has been reported as OK, nothing stellar.

5. Screen, again a chance for HTC to distinguish itself but it went smallish and while it's exemplary, the S4 is bigger, lighter and at least as good from the reviews so far.

6. Lack of features. Sure many of the S4 features are gimmicky and may not be used after the 1st week but some are likely going to be keepers and imitated by other makers.

7. Availability. Late April in the US? T-Mobile just announced the S4 for May 1 and I'd imagine the other carriers will be within days. Whomever at HTC was responsible for the One launch may single handedly bring HTC down. The launch could literally buried by the expected S4 blitz in the US, there is no Verizon version and I'm willing to be ATT will have the S4 front and center in its stores.

I'm sure I'll get flamed and accused of trolling but whatever :) Have at it.

sraina

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Good points Phil. Thanks for the detailed views.
I got the phone day before yesterday. I am not a very loyal to any one particular OS but like Android and Windows Phone 8 better than iOS. I have a Lumia 920 which I have been using since November last year. If I may provide a comparison in line with the points made above:

1. Camera - HTC has made a bold move but I would rate the camera almost at par with the Lumia 920 which I feel has a really good camera.
2. Blinkfeed - is actually very cool and functional - particularly since I have been used to the people hub (and social plug-ins) on the Lumia. Blinkfeed is very useful and negates the need to get into native apps (facebook, twitter, news etc.)
3. Battery life - It is just fine. I am a heavy user and it lasts me the whole day
4. Screen is beautiful - resolution is awesome, pictures are crisp and video is crystal clear
5. Features - Blinkfeed is not at all gimmicky - if you start using it properly it is extremely functional - completely agree with your views
6. Availability - it sucks! I have ordered an unlocked version and have been receiving order status updates that basically move the ship date by one day every day - bad customer expectation management by HTC
7. One big let down was the stock email app by HTC - does not allow for server search for MSN or Google email. I dont like the gmail client because it does not allow users to send attachments other than pictures and videos.

The build quality and the feel - the most premium that I have ever seen on a smartphone.

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
While inside Gmail no it only allows you to send pictures but if you use a file explorer you can send documents pictures etc through Gmail which is good but would have been better if Google just built it into Gmail

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
While inside Gmail no it only allows you to send pictures but if you use a file explorer you can send documents pictures etc through Gmail which is good but would have been better if Google just built it into Gmail

Actually, if you choose send picture up pops a selection box and you can choose your file explorer instead of gallery and attach whatever file you want. At least with esFile explorer.

sraina

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes thanks for the tip - aware of that with File Explorer but as you said would have been better built in. Server search is still a problem. Stock android like Nexus 4 does not have that issue. So HTC should fix that.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes thanks for the tip - aware of that with File Explorer but as you said would have been better built in. Server search is still a problem. Stock android like Nexus 4 does not have that issue. So HTC should fix that.

Well I can't see using the HO mail app anyway. Your complaint was gmail app couldn't attach files and the HO didn't do server search, which I haven't tested because I breifly tried it and could tell it was not up to par with gmail ap.

I am just pointing out that gmail does both of the things you were trying to do.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Please don't comment about a subject you have no apparent knowledge about. Ask any camera expert and they'll say that the number of megapixels on a camera has little effect on the picture quality. That's like saying the octo-core Exynos 5 Octa is more powerful than the quad-core Core i7. I hate to say it, but Samsung fanboys are starting to act like Apple fanboys.

Particularly on this site.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc