Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you really need a case for the HTC ONE? Anyone with hands-on let us know.

The phone's so hot, it would be a shame to get a case and cover it. Does anyone have experience with the actual unit and if so, tell us how it deals with scratches/scuffs? Do you think it will withstand daily (normal) wear and tear without a case?

Default Re: Do you really need a case for the HTC ONE? Anyone with hands-on let us know.

I do not own the phone personally, but I thought this drop test video was interesting.

They had to do a lot to break the screen, but the surrounding pieces seem a little fragile

Default Re: Do you really need a case for the HTC ONE? Anyone with hands-on let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by danielkogan View Post
    The phone's so hot, it would be a shame to get a case and cover it. Does anyone have experience with the actual unit and if so, tell us how it deals with scratches/scuffs? Do you think it will withstand daily (normal) wear and tear without a case?
    I run mine without a case but I have got a screen protector on front and back though. I do have a case for it but after trying it I realised that it is a shame to cover such a beautiful phone, so I removed it.

I had the phone for three days before the protectors arrived and it still didn't have a scratch on it at all when I came to fit the protectors. I have the silver one rather than black and I am quite happy that it is scratch resistant (maybe not scratch proof, we'll see).
    Thanked by:
    go3go 

Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    I run mine without a case but I have got a screen protector on front and back though. I do have a case for it but after trying it I realised that it is a shame to cover such a beautiful phone, so I removed it.

I had the phone for three days before the protectors arrived and it still didn't have a scratch on it at all when I came to fit the protectors. I have the silver one rather than black and I am quite happy that it is scratch resistant (maybe not scratch proof, we'll see).
    Yea same, the case is bulky and hides the beautiful phone. i'm waiting for gadgetsheildz to release a wet application protector set (they've been awesome on my previous phones, and deliver to uk), that will stop the minor scuffs, if i drop it and completly £$@% it up then insurance comes in!

HTC One official 'double dip' hard shell case review | Android Central Your Official Case!!
    Id be officially torn between the HTC and GS4 if verizon was gonna carry both phones. This case is awesome!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Way to bulky. Defeats the purpose of a thin phone.

Global Posts
    275 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mindyroth View Post
    I do not own the phone personally, but I thought this drop test video was interesting.

They had to do a lot to break the screen, but the surrounding pieces seem a little fragile
    HTC know about the glue problem and are rectifying it.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

I don't know why more people don't do what I do lol:

Don't put a case on it. Instead, cover it with a full body invisibleshield protector for protecting against scratches and scuffs, and just make sure you get insurance.

I'm definitely planning on not running a case (If they ever release the darn thing ). I've been fine case less for over 2 years with my iphone 4, so I figure I should be alright. I hate covering up a good looking device with a case, ruins the feel too.
    Xepoj87 likes this.

I've got the official HTC foldy type and tbh, it's pretty crappy, great design idea but without a closure on the front piece it just flaps around so protection is questionable. I usually use a pull tab slip case on my phone's, protection in the pocket and leaves the phone as nature intended when in use.

Just ordered an official HTC black leather version from amazon UK for a fiver, doubt it's designed specifically for the one, maybe one x, but should do the job.

In lew of there being no element case, I am purchasing my first phone case that I believe might really compliment the phone...

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

I've been using mine for about 2 weeks now with nothing on it. There are no scratches or scuffs anywhere on the device.
    Also, I'm not lining my pockets with sandpaper and playing frisbee with it on the beach

I just got my one few days ago and today I ordered a flip case which pretty sleek. Will upload a pic once I get it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

If you plan to carry it in your pocket then I definitely recommend a case. I've already got a couple scuffs on the edge and a small scratch on the lower back and I'm someone who is always careful with my devices.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

I have the black HTC One, and I would never consider covering it with a case. It's such a beautiful piece of hardware, why would you want to cover it with a hideously ugly case? If you don't care about aesthetics, you could buy a cheaper/uglier phone.

I have never understood the concept of using cases with phones, what's the purpose, to keep it scuff free & scratch free until when? 2 years down the track it will have ZERO resale value anyway. So that means for 2-3 years you have an ugly looking bulky phone, only to end up with a scratch free, phone, that just happens to be 100% useless at the end of it (outdated, outspecced, and worth nothing). It's like covering furniture with plastic - what's the point?

I just picked up a Sena leather sleeve to protect my black HTC One when caseless
    Topgonzo likes this.

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

I love mine so much that I did the unthinkable. Got an otterbox for it... I hate covering up my phones, but I rather play it safe with this unrepairable beast.

Posted via Android Central App
    digitallove likes this.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by EoN604 View Post
    I have the black HTC One, and I would never consider covering it with a case. It's such a beautiful piece of hardware, why would you want to cover it with a hideously ugly case? If you don't care about aesthetics, you could buy a cheaper/uglier phone.

I have never understood the concept of using cases with phones, what's the purpose, to keep it scuff free & scratch free until when? 2 years down the track it will have ZERO resale value anyway. So that means for 2-3 years you have an ugly looking bulky phone, only to end up with a scratch free, phone, that just happens to be 100% useless at the end of it (outdated, outspecced, and worth nothing). It's like covering furniture with plastic - what's the point?
    I generally agree and almost never use cases but this is really easy to scratch

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

The only reason I would add a case occasionally is to prevent slipping off my hand... the back of the body is slippery sometimes it could just fall off my hand...

Great case, but it appears to cost $50- whoa. My preference is to run it naked, covered under an insurance plan with a $50 deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzyclonecattleman View Post
    In lew of there being no element case, I am purchasing my first phone case that I believe might really compliment the phone...

Naked!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    mrbootcrm likes this.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I have a white speck case with a black lines on the back....love it!!! I was never a case/speck fan, but people still always ask about the phone and also I have gotten many compliments on the case!! Easy to put on and take off and provides great grip in slacks/khakis, or laying it face up on a table!! Plus I took my screen protector, I clean the screen once a day, but its great!!!! I am never going back to a screen protector!!!!

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

I don't know if these exist, but I assume they do .... I think the HTC One is way too slick to have a case on it all of the time. I want a case that is kind of like a "sleeve" or a little pouch or something for my purse. I think my iPhone bumper makes it look cheap. The One cases I've seen floating around just all look terrible on it for some reason. Totally going to try to go nude with some sort of case that doesn't snap or go ON the phone.
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4
    mrbootcrm and suzank like this.

Went with no case for 2 weeks, but then decided to put a minimal case on it. The Poetic Atmosphere is form fitting, nice protection and decent price. Thats what I use. While I do agree the naked One is sweet, the fear of scratch is too high. I also went with a Spigen glas.t slim and its as "smooth" as naked screen.
    Tubes make music sound they way it should, everything else is just nice sounding noise...

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

i would love to go naked but i work occasionally outdoors and sometimes 30-feet off the ground so i need protection. i got the otterbox commuter. it's not as fat as the defender case and it's easy to take off when i'm indoors. plus i have pulled out the guts of my electronic door card for my work locations and stuck it between the rubber and plastic of the otterbox case so i never need to carry a door card - i just flash my phone to get entry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast