Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default htc one

Have my HTC a few days now.. amazing phone.. bye bye iPhone B-)
    Russ Smith likes this.

Default Re: htc one

It's awesome isn't it (my experience is being slightly tarnished as I'm waiting for my 3rd handset 1st had camera problems 2nd has screen bleed issue)

Apart from that it's awesome and nothing like it in the world

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mancuk29 View Post
    It's awesome isn't it (my experience is being slightly tarnished as I'm waiting for my 3rd handset 1st had camera problems 2nd has screen bleed issue)

Apart from that it's awesome and nothing like it in the world

Hopefully that's not the trend. Htc can't afford it and it would be a real shame to see a phone as nice as this be plagued by quality issues. I went through about a half dozen evos before I gave up

Sent from my Note 2

How are the included headphones? I am assuming that they are crap but since my last HTC phone didn't come with any and the ones I have been using are from my Pre, I am just wondering what those who have the phone feel about the headphones

Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    Hopefully that's not the trend. Htc can't afford it and it would be a real shame to see a phone as nice as this be plagued by quality issues. I went through about a half dozen evos before I gave up

Sent from my Note 2
    I've had a similar issue my my DNA (my first HTC phone), but it may be due to the refurbishment company and not actually HTC. I hope for HTC's sake that beyond having good sales, it can keep its quality standards at a reasonable level for this device in particular.

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

I'm still reading evaluations and I'm on reading lots of threads here from owners of the one before I pull the trigger because I also want to make sure I get a good, reliable unit and with good build quality that will last me at least 18 months.

This phone is so beautiful and full of features (IR remote being the feature that has me ticking), and the special developer edition of a whopping 64GB via HTC for $649 is a steal but I still have to make sure it is merited paying for this toy.
    my Nexus 5 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I'm still reading evaluations and I'm on reading lots of threads here from owners of the one before I pull the trigger because I also want to make sure I get a good, reliable unit and with good build quality that will last me at least 18 months.

This phone is so beautiful and full of features (IR remote being the feature that has me ticking), and the special developer edition of a whopping 64GB via HTC for $649 is a steal but I still have to make sure it is merited paying for this toy.
    A steal to pay $649 to get 64gb of memory? I guess we define steal a little differently

Sent from my Note 2
    kevin5377 and chubb like this.

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Well I meant to say that it comes factory unlocked and that bootloader stuff come S-off too out of the box (like we jailbreak out iPhones) and on top of that, it has all these features (including the IR remote blaster, not that many people are paying attention to this feature). Compare that price to a current 64GB iPhone 5.
    my Nexus 5 32GB

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A steal to pay $649 to get 64gb of memory? I guess we define steal a little differently

Sent from my Note 2
    How much is a contract free GN2, unlocked, unbranded, bloat free with a class 10 64gb card?

I have a GN2 by the way...not trying to knock it as it's a great device...just curious to the reasoning behind people thinking the Dev edition of the One is a bad deal.

Sent from my Note 2
    An iPhone 64gb is $800. So relatively speaking, this is a steal. I'm pretty sure the galaxy s4 off contract will be at least $600 for 16gb. Just like last year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Gathomblipoob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Well I meant to say that it comes factory unlocked and that bootloader stuff come S-off too out of the box (like we jailbreak out iPhones) and on top of that, it has all these features (including the IR remote blaster, not that many people are paying attention to this feature). Compare that price to a current 64GB iPhone 5.
    Not trying to start an argument here about manufacturers but my mind went to Samsung and in your case the S4. You can easily get 64gb plus with an sd card, it has an ir blaster (I like this feature as well), and with the popularity of the phone you should never have an issue rooting.

But if you are happy with the one then I hope you enjoy it and it's money well spent. The phone definitely shows a lot of promise and is a big step forward for htc.

Sent from my Note 2

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

That's what I'm saying, it is not a bad deal at all.
    my Nexus 5 32GB

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterG View Post
    How much is a contract free GN2, unlocked, unbranded, bloat free with a class 10 64gb card?

I have a GN2 by the way...not trying to knock it as it's a great device...just curious to the reasoning behind people thinking the Dev edition of the One is a bad deal.
    The cheapest on Amazon is $565, brand new. Throw in a 64GB SD and you're looking at a total of 80GB for $620.

But I think the Dev edition is a good deal as well, but only because it'll be cheaper unlocked than other phones with the same amount of memory. If someone like me were looking at buying it though it'd be a waste of money. Only because I don't need 64GB and I could unlock the bootloader myself if I wanted to. That, and because I want the damn black version

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    An iPhone 64gb is $800. So relatively speaking, this is a steal. I'm pretty sure the galaxy s4 off contract will be at least $600 for 16gb. Just like last year.

Comparing Apple prices is ridiculous. They overcharge for everything. Compare similar PC's, Laptops, and Tablets, you usually can get a better spec'd device for cheaper than what Apple charges. Charging $100 for every bump in memory for the iphone is ridiculous itself. Basically you are paying for design, but for me, I prefer function over form.

Anyway here I think the price for the dev One is not overpriced, on Sprints site they have the 32GB for $549 off contract, so $649 for a completely unlocked one is not terrible. But it is priced at the high end. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a phone no matter how good they say it is. But a steal, in my opinion no. The pricing of the Nexus 4 is a steal, but that is Google eating the difference. Kinda like the old razor scheme. Give them the razor, then we will make a killing selling the blades. In that case the Nexus 4 is the razor, and the search, and location data are the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Comparing Apple prices is ridiculous. They overcharge for everything. Compare similar PC's, Laptops, and Tablets, you usually can get a better spec'd device for cheaper than what Apple charges. Charging $100 for every bump in memory for the iphone is ridiculous itself. Basically you are paying for design, but for me, I prefer function over form.
    This concept is so untrue. If apple was overcharging then they wouldn't be selling any products, it's simple supply and demand. And apple sells a crap ton of products.

With apple gear you're paying for better hardware design, better integration of hardware and software and, most importantly, the ability to run operating systems from Apple. If those things aren't valuable to you, then don't buy Apple products, but don't claim they're overpriced because that's simply inaccurate.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    This concept is so untrue. If apple was overcharging then they wouldn't be selling any products, it's simple supply and demand. And apple sells a crap ton of products.

With apple gear you're paying for better hardware design, better integration of hardware and software and, most importantly, the ability to run operating systems from Apple. If those things aren't valuable to you, then don't buy Apple products, but don't claim they're overpriced because that's simply inaccurate.
    You also get really good service and retail stores that can help and exchange products for you on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon PhoneApart View Post
    You also get really good service and retail stores that can help and exchange products for you on the spot.
    I'll give Apple that much, their customer support is outstanding. That's all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    I'll give Apple that much, their customer support is outstanding. That's all though.
    For a lot of people, that counts for a lot. Just saying...

It's a shame that Apple and Android folks are so polarized.
    scorpiodsu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon PhoneApart View Post
    For a lot of people, that counts for a lot. Just saying...

It's a shame that Apple and Android folks are so polarized.
    Doesn't really have anything to do with Apple/Android people, I've owned both platforms at one point in time. I'm in the camp that finds some of Apple's hardware overpriced, simply because when looking at the competition you're more than likely to find a product that bests it without the same premium price tag. Apple's price point is only justifiable if you take aesthetics into equal consideration with function, all you're mostly paying for is the look of the product. But for the steep price point you get excellent care. That's all.

Amazing all the people that knock apple saying things like this. So the only thing that's good about apple is their customer support! LOL

I've just moved from an iphone 4s (last week) to what has been touted by alot of reviewers as the best Android phone to date, a htc one. Now the phone is fantastic (apart from a possible battery issue) but I'm not won over with Android as yet. First problem I come across which is never mentioned anywhere is video sharing. File mb limits using WhatsApp, email, etc has made this near impossible to share an 11 second video recorded on the htc one. It can't be shared easy without uploading it somewhere and then sharing a link which is such a round the houses way of doing things. Compressing video on the fly ain't supported by Android. The path app (which I use alot) for Android disappointingly don't even have an option to choose video to share when it does on iPhone.

Battery drain.... You have to close/shutdown apps all the time to save battery drain. Turn off gps, turn off syncing etc to get a full day of your battery. I never had to do any of this on my iPhone.

Apps.... Every app I've compared on both devices runs smoother has more features and looks better optimised on iOS.
    Notifications and ecosystem way better on ios

I've got nfc on this phone and I can't use it for anything useful in the UK! Another disappointment.

So I can't understand the slating on the apple front! They control the software and the hardware to ultimately give the user a better experience and that's part of the package.

Don't get me wrong before everyone starts shooting me down, there is alot I like about Android ie sharing options, customisation, widgets, live wallpapers, to choose quality of youtube videos over 3g etc etc. But there seems to be a trade off and it's normally battery or performance related.

After a week of having the HTC one I should be thinking yea I made the right move, obviously a better phone with an awesome screen. But functionality on a day to day I'm still unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyspeed View Post
    Amazing all the people that knock apple saying things like this. So the only thing that's good about apple is their customer support! LOL
    Pretty much. Don't really see what's so hard or funny to see about people not valuing things the same as you. Like I said before I've owned Apple products, I think I'm qualified to give my opinion on them if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyspeed View Post
    I've just moved from an iphone 4s (last week) to what has been touted by alot of reviewers as the best Android phone to date, a htc one. Now the phone is fantastic (apart from a possible battery issue) but I'm not won over with Android as yet. First problem I come across which is never mentioned anywhere is video sharing. File mb limits using WhatsApp, email, etc has made this near impossible to share an 11 second video recorded on the htc one. It can't be shared easy without uploading it somewhere and then sharing a link which is such a round the houses way of doing things. Compressing video on the fly ain't supported by Android. The path app (which I use alot) for Android disappointingly don't even have an option to choose video to share when it does on iPhone.

Battery drain.... You have to close/shutdown apps all the time to save battery drain. Turn off gps, turn off syncing etc to get a full day of your battery. I never had to do any of this on my iPhone.

Apps.... Every app I've compared on both devices runs smoother has more features and looks better optimised on iOS.
    Notifications and ecosystem way better on ios

I've got nfc on this phone and I can't use it for anything useful in the UK! Another disappointment.

So I can't understand the slating on the apple front! They control the software and the hardware to ultimately give the user a better experience and that's part of the package.

Don't get me wrong before everyone starts shooting me down, there is alot I like about Android ie sharing options, customisation, widgets, live wallpapers, to choose quality of youtube videos over 3g etc etc. But there seems to be a trade off and it's normally battery or performance related.

After a week of having the HTC one I should be thinking yea I made the right move, obviously a better phone with an awesome screen. But functionality on a day to day I'm still unsure.

So you're an Apple fan. There's nothing wrong it, just like I'm not loling at you for not liking Android. What doesn't work well for you doesn't mean it won't work well for others. Just like what doesn't work well for me doesn't mean it won't for you. Me, I could never pay the price for a Mac when other companies offer the same at a much smaller price tag, or a lot more at or around the same price. I'll take function over talking points such as premium materials and aesthetics, I don't need them to go hand to hand. I don't buy products because of how they look, I buy them because of how well they'll enhance my life. iOS is stagnant, dull, and uninspired. It hasn't changed since it's inception and I'm willing to bet the trend continues and put a deposit on iOS 7 being the same exact way with a few extra whistles that are already on Android. So yes, the only thing Apple offers me that the others don't is convenient customer care. But then again, this is all my opinion.

I don't know about the One because I don't have one, but HTC phones typically do not have great battery lives when compared to other devices, at least with my limited experience with them. I was hoping the One would be different, but apparently according to you it isn't. Can't really say too much about the stability of iOS, it runs smoother than Android because it's a closed source, there's less tinkering that has to be involved. But let's not act like the differences are night and day. They aren't.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

I was a self proclaimed apple fanboy. iOS does many things well. Great hardware, timely updates, and no fragmentation of the eco system. I am currently using the Nexus 4. Android has came into it's own finally. The 4.0+ OS is finally on par with the smoothness of iOS. My main quarrel with iOS is it's lack of innovation. The company founded on thinking differently, doesn't anymore. The Nexus 4 finally won me over to android after many attempts. I have had nearly every "great" android handset since the HTC Hero and none have been able to hold my attention longer than iOS until the Nexus 4. My iPhone 5 has been sold and I now look forward to the HTC One. There are Pros and Cons to both OS's, but I truly believe the future of Android is now brighter than iOS. iOS 7 will have to be really great for me to think differently.
    BassRumors - bass fishing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post

Anyway here I think the price for the dev One is not overpriced, on Sprints site they have the 32GB for $549 off contract, so $649 for a completely unlocked one is not terrible. But it is priced at the high end. Personally I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a phone no matter how good they say it is. But a steal, in my opinion no. The pricing of the Nexus 4 is a steal, but that is Google eating the difference. Kinda like the old razor scheme. Give them the razor, then we will make a killing selling the blades. In that case the Nexus 4 is the razor, and the search, and location data are the blades.
    No its perfectly fine because iphones are priced comparable to all other highend phones. They are only adding 100 for each storage upgrade. 649 is a good deal for any high end phone with 64gb. Last year the galaxy s3 on Verizon was 649 for 32gb off contract. Look at the off contract price for any new high end device with at least 32gb and the price is at least 650 and that's the only point I'm making.

So I'm pretty comfortable with what I said.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Pretty much. Don't really see what's so hard or funny to see about people not valuing things the same as you. Like I said before I've owned Apple products, I think I'm qualified to give my opinion on them if I want.

All I'm saying is after owning these Apple products is the only good thing they offer is good customer support... My opinion is that nothing more than hating Apple for some reason and if I had to guess it's mostly because of price.

So you're an Apple fan. There's nothing wrong it, just like I'm not loling at you for not liking Android.

What doesn't work well for you doesn't mean it won't work well for others. Just like what doesn't work well for me doesn't mean it won't for you. Me, I could never pay the price for a Mac when other companies offer the same at a much smaller price tag, or a lot more at or around the same price. I'll take function over talking points such as premium materials and aesthetics, I don't need them to go hand to hand. I don't buy products because of how they look, I buy them because of how well they'll enhance my life.

You've never owned a mac but your opinion is your paying a premium for something that ain't as good but looks nice. What about a better operating system, ease of use, not having to wait 5 minutes to boot up, not having spend time money on antivirus software every year and still end up getting viruses. Spending an age finding files hidden all over the place. I've had windows based pcs/laptops for 10 years until I changed and I won't be going back anytime soon. Yes you can get more for your money very true. They ain't enhancing your life trust me, but that's just my opinion.

iOS is stagnant, dull, and uninspired. It hasn't changed since it's inception and I'm willing to bet the trend continues and put a deposit on iOS 7 being the same exact way with a few extra whistles that are already on Android. So yes, the only thing Apple offers me that the others don't is convenient customer care. But then again, this is all my opinion.

I agree it's stagnant and ios needs a revamp that's why I changed. I aint hating Android I'm just saying there's pros with the cons same with ios.

I don't know about the One because I don't have one, but HTC phones typically do not have great battery lives when compared to other devices, at least with my limited experience with them. I was hoping the One would be different, but apparently according to you it isn't. Can't really say too much about the stability of iOS, it runs smoother than Android because it's a closed source, there's less tinkering that has to be involved. But let's not act like the differences are night and day. They aren't.

I think $649 for a 64gb unsubsidized phone is a bargain.

I test one Android phone a year (approximately) to see if I can get enticed away from iOS. I'm interested to see if the One can finally do this. I'd like a way to use an AirVideo-like app to stream video to my Apple TV. I've read that it can be done, so we'll see when I get the phone.

The One looks to be a beautiful phone. Now I need to get it into my hands for some real-world use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast