Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anandtech gives HTC One an Editors Choice Gold Award

First one ever given to a smartphone. For those of you who want an in-depth camera review, check out this one. It is loooong, though.

AnandTech | The HTC One Review
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Anandtech gives HTC One an Editors Choice Gold Award

I love AnandTech reviews. The are incredibly detailed. Most comprehensive on the internet.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Great review!!!

Wow

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

Just a fabulous, in-depth review. Best I've ever seen. If anyone is on the fence for this phone, that review summed it up : Get this phone.
    heyyu and LegendaryDrumr like this.

I've never seen a deeper review done for anything in my life... this thing is epic.
    LegendaryDrumr likes this.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Anandtech is a fabulous site. Extremely thorough reviews and incredibly educational. Sort of like the APK teardowns that another Android site does. We're lucky to have such good information in a day and age when headlines and talking points are regurgitated without regard to their accuracy and opinions are all too often passed off as news.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I was really impressed with what he went over in the review and it just made me want the one even more! Lol

Started reading this 4 hours ago at work.. My god was that long but i have never read a more comprehensive review!
    Sent from Jupiter... Yes Jupiter

After reading his review I couldn't resist any longer, and just preordered a Sprint model. That $100 port-in discount was too good to pass up. THE phone of the year, with a base storage of 32GB, for only $99. Oh yeah.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Wow just spent 2.5 hours reading the whole thing. Best thorough review I have seen to date on a phone.

2 Thumbs up

To think I already wanted this phone before I read this review. I've never checked out AnandTech until now, but they have been bookmarked in Chrome Beta. I was only ever on the fence about sense 5, but for a week now, it's been butter smooth on my EVOLTE and I can't see myself running another sense 4+ Rom. That review was freaking epic. I cannot wait for this phone.

Sent from my EVOLTE using Android Central Forums

Anandtech gives in-depth reviews like this on every single phone they review. And after reading it, I feel like there was some room to be a little bit less transparent and little bit more unbiased. but it's obvious to anyone that this is a good phone. But to say you're taking it over unreleased contenders regardless, without taking in every nuance just as you did for this phone sort of dampers it all and feels like he may have let his inner fanboy come loose, if not for just that one line. I'll wait for more reviews on the One and other unreleased phones and make a decision, but I am liking this phone.

Feeling a little relieved after seeing the camera comparison. Night mode looks awesome. Great review.

That isn't a review, it's a dissertation. That could be used to get a Ph.D. Amazing. Major props to his hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by outlawz89 View Post
    Wow just spent 2.5 hours reading the whole thing. Best thorough review I have seen to date on a phone.

2 Thumbs up
    2 hours?? OK, where is this 2 hour read/video???

NEVERMIND.... reading on a tablet isn't always easy....
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Xsie View Post
    2 hours?? OK, where is this 2 hour read/video???
    Xsie,
    Either you are a speed reader or you missed the drop down menu under the first page of the review. There are 17 pages altogether. edit: Okay, now I see you are on a tablet--sometimes they are formatted differently. I miss a lot on mine too.

Great review . Good to see the speakers, screen, build, and camera discussed throughly. Those are the features I want it for, but, a little more waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    Anandtech gives in-depth reviews like this on every single phone they review. And after reading it, I feel like there was some room to be a little bit less transparent and little bit more unbiased. but it's obvious to anyone that this is a good phone. But to say you're taking it over unreleased contenders regardless, without taking in every nuance just as you did for this phone sort of dampers it all and feels like he may have let his inner fanboy come loose, if not for just that one line. I'll wait for more reviews on the One and other unreleased phones and make a decision, but I am liking this phone.
    Read the sections about build quality and cameras. That should answer your question why the S4 won't be in his pocket anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Read the sections about build quality and cameras. That should answer your question why the S4 won't be in his pocket anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    In case I wasn't clear before, I've already read it. I waited to post my thoughts on it upon reading it. You might be okay with it because it justifies your purchase, but that statement completely challenges the validity of a review or follow up comparison of a phone that this reviewer manages to do in the future, which is what I care more about instead of some pissing contest between brands. I typically like to read reviews from reviewers who do just enough yet avoid letting their preferences take over the review, then draw my conclusions from theirs. At certain points this was too much, almost as if he achieved elysium itself. I know Anandtech has a very skilled way of writing and I know this phone is phenomenal and probably matches up with some of his assertion just from reading hands-on testimonials and things of the such from people who already have it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Brian Klug could've done without some of the hyperbole that is present in this body of work. I understand when writing out 17 pages on a single device that there's more than enough times for a slight bias to rear its head here and there, but when it shows it shows in this, seemingly a lot more than in other reviews. Maybe the phone is that great and he's never gushed over a product like it, I wouldn't know as I haven't held one. But there doesn't appear to be any attempt in neutrality from Mr. Klug in the near future. And from reading the reaction around other Android forums, a few have come across with the same feelings as I did, so I'm not the only one.

Also, the Galaxy S4 isn't the only device that's being released from "contenders" this year. Look at the position that blanket statements can put you in.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by antw081 View Post
    Yes, I agree that reviewers should seek to be as objective as possible.

But it would be extremely hard to write a review on a product without offering your personal opinion. A review like that would be so dry as to read like an academic research paper.

Simply making a statement such as: "I like the screen on the HTC One" would be offering a personal subjective opinion and hence break neutrality. To stay neutral, you can only state provable facts and nothing else.

Also, you don't have to buy into the 'hyperbole' statements. Almost every section of that review has real world data / benchmark comparisons where you can judge for yourself. I've yet to see another review that has offer so much data for the reader to make an objective decision. If you can find one, you are welcome to post it in the forum for the benefit of everyone here.
    I know, I've already stated that it would be pretty difficult to do. It just doesn't look like the attempt was made all too well. And I'm on my phone right now but you can google search *insert phone here* anandtech review and get reviews just like it. Anandtech goes into deep detail in just about every phone they review. For example, I just checked their iPhone 5 review and it has 22 pages.

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

If you've never been to Anandtech you are doing yourself a disservice. They do deep indepth writing on everything they look at and write about. Indispensable.
    Thanked by:
    Xsie, mistyisland, Etios and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    In case I wasn't clear before, I've already read it. I waited to post my thoughts on it upon reading it. You might be okay with it because it justifies your purchase, but that statement completely challenges the validity of a review or follow up comparison of a phone that this reviewer manages to do in the future, which is what I care more about instead of some pissing contest between brands. I typically like to read reviews from reviewers who do just enough yet avoid letting their preferences take over the review, then draw my conclusions from theirs. At certain points this was too much, almost as if he achieved elysium itself. I know Anandtech has a very skilled way of writing and I know this phone is phenomenal and probably matches up with some of his assertion just from reading hands-on testimonials and things of the such from people who already have it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Brian Klug could've done without some of the hyperbole that is present in this body of work. I understand when writing out 17 pages on a single device that there's more than enough times for a slight bias to rear its head here and there, but when it shows it shows in this, seemingly a lot more than in other reviews. Maybe the phone is that great and he's never gushed over a product like it, I wouldn't know as I haven't held one. But there doesn't appear to be any attempt in neutrality from Mr. Klug in the near future. And from reading the reaction around other Android forums, a few have come across with the same feelings as I did, so I'm not the only one.
    LOL what in the world are you talking about? If he loves a device so much, you don't expect him to express that in HIS review!? He stated all the facts and then explained WHY this device was superior/inferior to other devices on the market. When discussing this device against unreleased devices like the S4, it's not like he didn't have the opportunity to use them (even if it was just a short period). This review is completely based on the facts on hand and those same facts are used to formulate his opinion. No reviewer should ever just state facts...that's not how you review devices. It's the readers responsibility to look at the facts and the opinion of the writer and take from it what you will. I, for one, WANTED to hear Brian's personal opinion on the device b/c I respect him as a writer/reviewer and therefore wanted to know his personal thoughts. That's part of what differentiates one reviewer from another...how they relate to their audience and the detail and legitimacy in which they express their opinions/thoughts.
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by trivor View Post
    If you've never been to Anandtech you are doing yourself a disservice. They do deep indepth writing on everything they look at and write about. Indispensable.
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by jw nyc View Post
    LOL what in the world are you talking about? If he loves a device so much, you don't expect him to express that in HIS review!? He stated all the facts and then explained WHY this device was superior/inferior to other devices on the market. When discussing this device against unreleased devices like the S4, it's not like he didn't have the opportunity to use them (even if it was just a short period). This review is completely based on the facts on hand and those same facts are used to formulate his opinion. No reviewer should ever just state facts...that's not how you review devices. It's the readers responsibility to look at the facts and the opinion of the writer and take from it what you will. I, for one, WANTED to hear Brian's personal opinion on the device b/c I respect him as a writer/reviewer and therefore wanted to know his personal thoughts. That's part of what differentiates one reviewer from another...how they relate to their audience and the detail and legitimacy in which they express their opinions/thoughts.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisland View Post
    Xsie,
    Either you are a speed reader or you missed the drop down menu under the first page of the review. There are 17 pages altogether. edit: Okay, now I see you are on a tablet--sometimes they are formatted differently. I miss a lot on mine too.
    You missed my UPDATE that I made only moments after my original post.....

I just went back n reread your post. Think it's time for me to start using the laptop in here.

And yes, an excellent review. Glad I was able to read entire review. Can not wait for my phone!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast