Will HTC One Developer Edition Get OTA Updates?

just.garet

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If I buy the 64 GB developer edition and don't flash any ROMs, will I receive the normal OTA updates on time?

OTA updates would come directly from HTC, right? I wouldn't have to be concerned with AT&T or Sprint delaying it, correct?

Right now I live in Asia and only the 32 Gb One will be released in this country, and it will be more expensive then the 64 GB Developer version bought in the US anyway.

Last question; living in Asia shouldn't effect my ability to receive OTA updates even though I purchased the phone in the US, right?

Thanks

Acelx

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If I'm correct the developer edition is HTC_001 which is the unbranded international version , but will have US LTE bands.

Therefore you should get updates same time the international version does.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It'll receive updates directly from HTC, no carrier delays. The only problem you may have is I'm not sure how well a US phone will work in Asia, not all GSM frequencies are the same. Maybe someone who knows region support well could shed some light on it, but other than that you're good.

just.garet

May 1, 2012
Visit site
It'll receive updates directly from HTC, no carrier delays. The only problem you may have is I'm not sure how well a US phone will work in Asia, not all GSM frequencies are the same. Maybe someone who knows region support well could shed some light on it, but other than that you're good.

Thanks, that's good news as I'll be covered here as my carrier uses the 850 Mhz band

There is no LTE where I am anyway. The carriers are GSM and most of the 3G is on the 850mHZ band, though some carriers use the 900mHZ band. I don't know why HTC left 900 MHz band off the developer's edition because it's fairly common worldwide..

jagp3

May 3, 2013
Visit site

Are you sure about that? I've been trying to get an accurate answer about the OTA updates. in some sites it says that as long as the developer edition have unlocked bootloader the signatures for OTA updates can not be checked and then the OTA updates wont be possible. Now I read your post and get the concern back because I want this phone, but just for 64 GB of storage, I don't have in mind rooting or other stuff but I keep away from ordering because I'm not sure if the phone will receive the OTA updates. It will receive those?

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about that? I've been trying to get an accurate answer about the OTA updates. in some sites it says that as long as the developer edition have unlocked bootloader the signatures for OTA updates can not be checked and then the OTA updates wont be possible. Now I read your post and get the concern back because I want this phone, but just for 64 GB of storage, I don't have in mind rooting or other stuff but I keep away from ordering because I'm not sure if the phone will receive the OTA updates. It will receive those?

The developer edition comes with an unlocked bootloader. HTC wouldn't sell a device they knowingly couldn't update.

I think you're confusing an unlocked bootloader with changing the phone's ROM. Unlocking the bootloader does nothing on its own. When you root the device AND change the ROM it shipped with, only then do you lose the signature for OTA updates.

2006GTO

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the Developer Edition and a N4/7/10 and my two probs are the Mic Icon is missing for voice to text and the voice does not work on Google Now. This is a faster phone than my N4 but the JB is buggy...Any ideas on the icon and the lack of voice response on Google Now?

Thanks!

Greg

jagp3

May 3, 2013
Visit site
The developer edition comes with an unlocked bootloader. HTC wouldn't sell a device they knowingly couldn't update.

I think you're confusing an unlocked bootloader with changing the phone's ROM. Unlocking the bootloader does nothing on its own. When you root the device AND change the ROM it shipped with, only then do you lose the signature for OTA updates.

Thank you so much guys... Now I will go get it.

Thanks

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the 32gb unlocked version will receive updates ota at the same time as the developer or international model? I want to make sure I purchased the one that will be supported and updated fastest. Thanks!

2006GTO

May 4, 2013
Visit site
If you do not need LTE...Get the Nexus 4. Snapdragon 4...solid build and 200 less than the 32GB unlock for the 16GB...Plus it's a Pentaband .

The transition to "Key Lime Pie" will happen day one on a Nexus 4...God knows when on the HTC one.

There are merits to both phones...But the Nexus 4 is all about up to date OTA software upgrades.

JMHO...

Greg
HTC One..Developer
Nexus 4
Nexus 7 3G
Nexus 10

2006GTO

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that's good news as I'll be covered here as my carrier uses the 850 Mhz band

There is no LTE where I am anyway. The carriers are GSM and most of the 3G is on the 850mHZ band, though some carriers use the 900mHZ band. I don't know why HTC left 900 MHz band off the developer's edition because it's fairly common worldwide..

Get the Nexus 4....No LTE and Pentaband and 200 cheaper. And you'll get your "Key Lime Pie" stat when it rolls out.