Samsung fans, why are you buying the HTC One instead of the S4?

jp700p

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My reasons are:
- Hardware. The S3 hardware was cheap and also the easily pressed volume buttons made me nuts whenever I would accidently press them.
- LCD screen. S4 is still using the Pentile OLED type display as in the S3. The HTC One screen may not have the vibrant colors of the S4, but it will be sharper looking.

bosshaug12

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I was about to post a similar thread but not call out the samsung people haha
But..
I chose the one because of the stereo speakers, aluminium build, and LCD. The camera is usually an extremely important aspect for me but on this one I decided if the camera isnt up to par, Ill just go get an entry level SLR.

Blaalad12

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Well i already have the htc one, I had an s3 and more then likely would have got the s4 but i didnt feel the s4 was much of an upgrade, No doubt is gonna be a great phone but just think alot of the features are too gimmicky! I wanted something different, with good build quality etc So far iam happy with the htc one! Coming from the s3 isnt a huge leap to be honest as the s3 was a great phone also but the htc one beats it hands down in most aspects, I cant decide if i prefer the screen,i think both are great and its personal preference which you prefer and the camera on the s3 may be a little better but in saying that iam happy with the camera on the htc one although havent used it that much!!

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
my last two phones have been samsungs, the captivate and galaxy s2. the main reason why im getting the HTC one is because it comes out first and im impatient.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I got ya beat, my last three phones were Samsung... Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, and Note 2. While I do like a lot of the features that Samsung puts in their phones, I'm just really tired of plastic, and even more tired of AMOLED.

SJorge3442

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
coming from a Captivate, I've decided to go HTC for the main fact of it being built out of aluminum. My roommate has a S3 and it feels like a childs toy. The captivate had a metal back, which is a main reason why I have been using it for as long as I have. Plus, with it rooted, it runs just as well as most phones on the market currently. The HTC feels great in your hand (stopped by a boomsound lounge here in Philly) and is super responsive. I figure, I will get it at launch, if I dont like it, I will return it and get the S4, but I doubt thats going to happen.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I got ya beat, my last three phones were Samsung... Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, and Note 2. While I do like a lot of the features that Samsung puts in their phones, I'm just really tired of plastic, and even more tired of AMOLED.

Pfft. I've owned the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus (I know, not really a Samsung Galaxy phone like the others), Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2. I'm all Galaxy'd out.

I'd always flash AOSP/AOKP roms on them because I preferred it over Touchwiz. In the past Samsung used to have the best hardware with fast processors, sd slots and all that, but now I'm going to the One because the S4 doesn't look impressive to me at all. It's a spec bump (which is expected) and more software gimmicks. The One looks like it has a killer build/design, Sense looks more tame and less annoying than TW, and I still have the option to flash AOSP roms on it.

I think Samsung making all plastic phones with ugly aesthetics and charging full price for them is pretty lame. The S4 to me just looks like a gimmick 'phone store experience' phone. Where a customer goes to a phone store, looking for a new phone to buy, the assistant shows them the S4 and goes through a bunch of gimmicks like waving across the screen, looking away and all that nonsense and the customer is initially impressed and picks the phone up. It doesn't look like a phone with a focus or an idea on what it's trying to achieve for the user. It's like the devs at Samsung just scattershot a bunch of ideas on a whiteboard and tried to implement as many as they could before release.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Pfft. I've owned the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus (I know, not really a Samsung Galaxy phone like the others), Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2. I'm all Galaxy'd out.

I'd always flash AOSP/AOKP roms on them because I preferred it over Touchwiz. In the past Samsung used to have the best hardware with fast processors, sd slots and all that, but now I'm going to the One because the S4 doesn't look impressive to me at all. It's a spec bump (which is expected) and more software gimmicks. The One looks like it has a killer build/design, Sense looks more tame and less annoying than TW, and I still have the option to flash AOSP roms on it.

I think Samsung making all plastic phones with ugly aesthetics and charging full price for them is pretty lame. The S4 to me just looks like a gimmick 'phone store experience' phone. Where a customer goes to a phone store, looking for a new phone to buy, the assistant shows them the S4 and goes through a bunch of gimmicks like waving across the screen, looking away and all that nonsense and the customer is initially impressed and picks the phone up. It doesn't look like a phone with a focus or an idea on what it's trying to achieve for the user. It's like the devs at Samsung just scattershot a bunch of ideas on a whiteboard and tried to implement as many as they could before release.

Yeah, the fact the Samsung managed to fit a larger, brighter, higher resolution screen and a 13mp camera into a smaller, lighter package is a total scattershot gimmick. :confused:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

:confused:

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a note 2 and its my first Android phone. I know what you mean about the volume buttons. I always un mute my phone by accident. Its so annoying.

I had a play with the HTC one. I wasn't that impressed to be honest. It seems ok but still not got build quality of an iphone.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I like my samsung, but just wanted to try something different, the One got good reviews and I like what they are trying with the camera. And everyone that has used one say it is impressive in the hand.

If I get it and am not thrilled with it, I can always return and get the s4, Although I have never been real big on samsung software - be it phone, TV, blue ray palyer, etc., it just doesn't seem to be their strength. The new features are kind of neat but also the kind of thing that I am not likely to really use.

I also want to support other Android makers if they put out a good product. I don't want to see the world come down to Apple and Samsung only. If the HTC One is successful, maybe Samsung will adopt some of what makes it good - materials/camera approach. Competition is good. Change is good.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My reasons are:
- Hardware. The S3 hardware was cheap and also the easily pressed volume buttons made me nuts whenever I would accidently press them.
- LCD screen. S4 is still using the Pentile OLED type display as in the S3. The HTC One screen may not have the vibrant colors of the S4, but it will be sharper looking.

Have you actually read any of the comparisons of the two phones? First, at the resolution of these screens, you won't be able to tell the difference in sharpness unless you're using a magnifying glass. Probably not even then. Second, at least one site has said the S4 screen is superior in sunlight when compared to the One's screen. So much for your assumptions.

I agree the volume buttons are too easy to press on the S3, but a thin TPU case pretty much solves that problem.

Danny Yang

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I like Samsung! But the outside design quality has always been a HUGE factor for me, and I dont even really care about all the other specs.
The HTC One is the phone I've been waiting for :D

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My reasons are:

Do your homework, the s4 screen does not use the same penile matrix the s3 had. Let alone the difference the resolution change makes.

Because Samsung makes cheap plasticky phones and Touchwiz is out of control.

There's a good thread on the metal vs plastics argument in the s4 forum and I would suggest you have a read. There are plenty of reasons to get the one but this subjective argument has to be the worst. You can say you prefer the feel of an aluminum case over plastic and that's perfectly fine but just saying "cheap plasticky phones" lends you no credibility. As far as the touchwiz comment goes that's completely subjective as well, I'm not saying your wrong but I could say sense 4+ was pretty out of control as well.

I'm a recent htc to Samsung convert so I guess I qualify as a Samsung fan... What would draw me to the one is the screen quality and possibly the camera but I would have to try it myself. I just got a new phone though so I'm not in the market for anything

Sent from my Note 2

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you actually read any of the comparisons of the two phones? First, at the resolution of these screens, you won't be able to tell the difference in sharpness unless you're using a magnifying glass. Probably not even then. Second, at least one site has said the S4 screen is superior in sunlight when compared to the One's screen. So much for your assumptions.

I agree the volume buttons are too easy to press on the S3, but a thin TPU case pretty much solves that problem.

One site claiming better outdoor visibility means nothing. Supposedly the HTC shipped with a few different displays by different companies. That may be the reason for that claim.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the fact the Samsung managed to fit a larger, brighter, higher resolution screen and a 13mp camera into a smaller, lighter package is a total scattershot gimmick. :confused:

You clearly misread his post. Here, I'll highlight it:

It's a spec bump (which is expected) and more software gimmicks.
To me that reads as: Spec bump - Bigger screen, more MP in the camera, better processor. Gimmicks: OMG i can do stuff by simply gesturing wildly in front of the phone instead of simply swiping with my finger. OH! And watch this! When i look away this youtube video stops! Isn't that amazingly useful?! I am constantly in the situation where I need to look away from a supremely important youtube video and I wish my phone would pause it for me. Gawd knows how important youtube videos are and aint nobody got time to replay them if then need to look away for a sec.

But that's just my interpretation.

duopperi

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site

This is a completely serious question when I ask: why the hell are you on this board? I mean I'm all for everyone having their own opinions and all, but in every single one of your posts on this board (HTC One), you're either defending Samsung or being very critical of the One. So honestly, what are you even doing in this section of the forums? And if your response is that you're still considering getting this phone, you're only fooling yourself, because I have not seen you say one positive thing about this device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21