Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Charles Lambton
  • 2 Post By Charles Lambton
  • 3 Post By BigDinCA
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WOOHOO Thank you HTC!

HTC delivers source code for the One and Droid DNA

And people were worried about software....
    Thanked by 2:
    jrb363 likes this.

Default Re: WOOHOO Thank you HTC!

Havent read the article, but in a nutshell.... what does this mean?
    Thanked by:
    Xsie 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It means that they just made it a hell of a lot easier for people to make custom roms and remove/add whatever they like. So the community will be able to take this great piece of hardware and do some fantastic software updates and changes to suit whatever your needs are.
    jrb363 and Blaalad12 like this.

It means that devs can now start cooking Jelly Bean ROMs, including CM 10 builds.

It means XDA devs now has all the info they need to make changes to the software, roms, etc.

Awesome

Doesn't matter for the ATT customers with a locked bootloader, though, right? I'm not huge into the dev community, but I would like to get there. I've been spending a little more time on XDA absorbing knowledge and information.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieMSU View Post
    Doesn't matter for the ATT customers with a locked bootloader, though, right? I'm not huge into the dev community, but I would like to get there. I've been spending a little more time on XDA absorbing knowledge and information.
    I thought there was a boot loader unlocker already out there from HTC?

That's correct, bootloaders have to be unlocked first. Apparently the word on the AT&T version is that it isn't unlockable. I find that hard to believe and maybe someone more advanced than that person could unlock it, either way it looks like AT&T customers will be waiting the longest. T-Mobile's version is said to have a very unlockable bootloader by the same person who tried to unlock AT&T's, no word on Sprint yet. The Dev editions will able to use the codes right out of the box since they come with an unlocked bootloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lambton View Post
    I thought there was a boot loader unlocker already out there from HTC?
    Is there? I was browsing XDA a lot this morning, and didn't see a thread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    That's correct, bootloaders have to be unlocked first. Apparently the word on the AT&T version is that it isn't unlockable. I find that hard to believe and maybe someone more advanced than that person could unlock it, either way it looks like AT&T customers will be waiting the longest. T-Mobile's version is said to have a very unlockable bootloader by the same person who tried to unlock AT&T's, no word on Sprint yet. The Dev editions will able to use the codes right out of the box since they come with an unlocked bootloader.
    I wish I had had the funds to dump on a dev version. Ah well, no worries. Just ready for my phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Is there? I was browsing XDA a lot this morning, and didn't see a thread on it.

I wish I had had the funds to dump on a dev version. Ah well, no worries. Just ready for my phone.

How to Unlock HTC One Bootloader
    Thanked by 3:

Interesting. Does this apply to all HTC Ones, regardless of carrier?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Interesting. Does this apply to all HTC Ones, regardless of carrier?
    I have absolutely no clue.

This is like jailbreaking right and voids warrenty?

Sent from my HTC One
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
    This is like jailbreaking right and voids warrenty?

Sent from my HTC One
    Yea, I'm going to wait until a bootloader unlock is released that doesn't permanently delete some of the stock apps and void your warranty. That, or I'll wait till the warranty is over.

I have absolutely no clue.
    Fair enough. Regardless, thanks for the link!

Yea, I'm going to wait until a bootloader unlock is released that doesn't permanently delete some of the stock apps and void your warranty. That, or I'll wait till the warranty is over.
    How does this apply to the unlocked DE? Will loading a custom ROM void the warranty? Isn't that expected behavior with a DE? Can I reload the factory ROM and erase all traces of a custom ROM if I do need warranty service?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    How does this apply to the unlocked DE? Will loading a custom ROM void the warranty? Isn't that expected behavior with a DE? Can I reload the factory ROM and erase all traces of a custom ROM if I do need warranty service?
    I'm pretty sure the warranty will not be void on the DE if you flash a custom rom, actually I think that's the whole point of it.

I've seen this before, I don't think it's legitimate. More than likely just fishing for clicks seeing as this was put up a month and three days ago, 9 days before the One was confirmed delayed. Over on the HTC Dev site you'll notice that they have unlocked bootloaders that require HBOOT for some phones of specific carriers, but none recent (One X, One S, Droid DNA, etc.). Also, the AT&T version was tried recently and confirmed yesterday to be "unlockable" by the person performing it. In other words, I wouldn't trust that link.

You're going to have to wait for someone over at XDA or a site like it to unlock it if you want to be assured it's going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    You don't have anything to worry about, yours is totally unlocked out of the box. It's only when you unlock the bootloader on your own you run the risk of voiding the warranty. But for those that want to unlock it and are worried about warranty, you can always re-lock a bootloader.
    Last edited by Suda; 04-10-2013 at 12:28 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    You're going to have to wait for someone over at XDA or a site like it to unlock it if you want to be assured it's going to work.
    There is no site like XDA. That place is a one-of-a-kind magical candyland.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    There is no site like XDA. That place is a one-of-a-kind magical candyland.
    You my friend took the, oddly specific, words right out of my mouth lol
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Read through the thread, I still wouldn't trust it. Files are missing/broken, other files are posted by other users to fix whatever's wrong with the OP instructions, and the success rate is low.

If you just to want to try one out though then I'd try this one over that:

[TOOL] HTC One (M7) All-In-One Toolkit V1.1 [4-5-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers

Here's one that was updated 5 days ago. I know he does good work and he's unlocked the One X, X+, Droid DNA, Vivid, and others. He doesn't know if it'll work for AT&T though. You brick it or get caught in a bootloop because you don't want to wait then that's on you.

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Every device can be unlocked... we just might not know how yet.
    Seggzy likes this.