Home & Back buttons

dazjb

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Are the home and back buttons supposed to be lit constantly when your using the phone? Mine only seem to light up occasionally :confused:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Are the home and back buttons supposed to be lit constantly when your using the phone? Mine only seem to light up occasionally :confused:

No, only when dark(ish), works with the light sensor as auto brightness does.

Sent from my HTC One

dazjb

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Ah that makes sense, thanks for the info .. moved from an S3 so I'm still learning ;)

Cheers

egent

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Those two buttons turn themselves off when the HTC One thinks there is enough light to see. The sensor is in the upper left hand corner of the face, above the screen--there are two little black dots 1/16" in diameter: the left one is the sensor. Auto brightness does not have anything to do with this; it is a different system. I emailed HTC about this--in my opinion, it is a bug--and HTC said it was to conserve energy. Turn off two tiny little lights to save energy, while this big screen burns brightly? Absurd. Trouble is, the sensor gets easily tricked into thinking it is bright enough that you "should" be able to see the buttons, when in reality the room is too dark. Very frustrating. I am waiting for a reply from HTC to see when a firmware fix is coming for this bug (or stupid feature). If they don't fix it, I may paint over the sensor so the lights stay on.

However, in the meantime, I just now cut a tiny circle from a sticker and stuck it on top of the sensor--success! Now, it's a pretty crappy state of affairs when you have to stick bits of tape on your brand new expensive flagship device . . . like having to jury-rig your brand new Mercedes with duck tape . . . but in the meantime, at least I can see the damn lights. We'll see if HTC owns up to this one and fixes it for real.

Last edited: