Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By karmamule
  • 1 Post By mrbootcrm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Created a folder on the launcher bar now cant get rid of icons in it.

I got my HTC One today which I am really chuffed with now I have Swiftkey installed onto it. I was playing around trying to replace the standard browser in the launch bar with chrome but it created a foilder instead. I now can't remove either of them from the folder. Anyone know how to go about this ?

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Default Re: Created a folder on the launcher bar now cant get rid of icons in it.

I think you have to go to the app menu to be able to remove stuff from your launcher bar.

I think I saw a YouTube clip on this issue.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums
    You can always achieve your goal by lowering your expectations.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Default Re: Created a folder on the launcher bar now cant get rid of icons in it.

This might help:

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums
    You can always achieve your goal by lowering your expectations.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks, it was answered in that video. In case someone does the same and doesn't want to watch the video then to sort it you need to open the app drawer and then drag one of the icons into there rather than dragging it to a home screen since that will just create a duplicate icon.
    Thanked by:

Thank you both!! I'm not as impressed with the phone as I'd like to be. Really love HTC for their original EVO, but not sure if this phone is worth the extra $150 bucks over the Galaxy S3.

I don't like how thin the phone is, I don't like that it's skinny, and the metal simply makes the phone more slippery. The screen also isn't as responsive when scrolling as the Galaxy S3. See, I got my wife the Galazxy S III today when I got my phone and we have been learning together... her's feels so much smoother, despite the stupid reviewers who for some reason think it feels cheap - I thought it felt MUCH better. I'll give it a few more days before making any decisions - but I was surprised at how much I had to learn - wasn't as intuitive as I expected. (I don't like that you have to drag apps to the shortcut menu before you can add them to the home screen (unless of course you know which app you are searching for - then you can click the screen first.)

The other thing that bothers me is that the phone is made for people who use their phone with their right hand. My right hand is always writing, typing, driving, or picking food up... it's impossible to operate this phone with one hand if you primarily use your left hand. The power button is on the wrong side of the top for left handed phone users. Also the button is very hard to distiniguish from the phone and is not easy to press - I always push more than once because it feels unresponsive - the same is definitely true of the volume keys. Lots of important details I'm not a fan of.

Also have an issue trying to link contacts together. It walks you through the steps... and then simply doesn't do it. Pisses me off...

UPDATE: Most of these problems ALSO exist on GS4 as well as iPhone (worst phone ever). This is not an anti-HTC post, on the contrary - it's a "great" phone by today's standards... unfortunately, today's standards should simply be higher.
    We live in a society that carelessly spends hoards of money on crap like Cable/Satellite TV, fast food, alcohol, cigarettes, and other wreckless non-sensical purchases. We're so impulsive all it takes is a semi-strong marketing campaign to make the flood gates open and you buy. Why do I exclude myself? Because I waited until a year after my upgrade so that phones were actually better in all aspects, and instead of buying my daughter a tablet, she can now use my old phone to access the same apps. = hundreds of dollars in savings that I can now put towards humanitarian efforts.
    Last edited by LDS_Calame; 05-10-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LDS_Calame View Post
    Thank you both!! I'm not as impressed with the phone as I'd like to be. Really love HTC for their original EVO, but not sure if this phone is worth the extra $150 bucks over the Galaxy S3.

I don't like how thin the phone is, I don't like that it's skinny, and the metal simply makes the phone more slippery. The screen also isn't as responsive when scrolling as the Galaxy S3. See, I got my wife the Galazxy S III today when I got my phone and we have been learning together... her's feels so much smoother, despite the stupid reviewers who for some reason think it feels cheap - I thought it felt MUCH better. I'll give it a few more days before making any decisions - but I was surprised at how much I had to learn - wasn't as intuitive as I expected. (I don't like that you have to drag apps to the shortcut menu before you can add them to the home screen (unless of course you know which app you are searching for - then you can click the screen first.)

The other thing that bothers me is that the phone is made for people who use their phone with their right hand. My right hand is always writing, typing, driving, or picking food up... it's impossible to operate this phone with one hand if you primarily use your left hand. The power button is on the wrong side of the top for left handed phone users. Also the button is very hard to distiniguish from the phone and is not easy to press - I always push more than once because it feels unresponsive - the same is definitely true of the volume keys. Lots of important details I'm not a fan of.

Also have an issue trying to link contacts together. It walks you through the steps... and then simply doesn't do it. Pisses me off...
    Wow. I guess if you don't like the dimension or texture of the phone, you could always put a case on it. And the HTC One is the smoothest Android phone I've ever laid my hands on, so don't know why you are experiencing a lack of responsiveness with the screen. That sounds abnormal. As for adding and moving apps, yeah it is different, but I like it that way. Makes moving apps around by accident less likely. Something that has happened to me before with other phones. Agree with most of your comments on buttons and button placement. Although I don't think the back button works very good for a right handed person. It's one of the things that bothers me the most on this phone. That being said, the perfect phone has yet to be invented. They all have drawbacks of some sort.

1) Android does have a learning curve, but it is worth it
    2) Now way an SIII is smoother than a properly functioning HTC One. The one is definitely worth $150 more and not just because of smoothness.
    3) I agree that the sense 5 launcher is a pain. You may try a different launcher, apex/adw/nova, etc. They tend to be better and you can set things like you want.
    4) Regarding size and feel - if after a few day you haven't adapted to it, then the phone is not for you. Some people like different shapes/sizes/materials. That is nice about android, you can choose from several different good options. If you think the SIII feels better in the hand, go for it.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

The other thing that bothers me is that the phone is made for people who use their phone with their right hand. My right hand is always writing, typing, driving, or picking food up... it's impossible to operate this phone with one hand if you primarily use your left hand...
    You're b****ing about the phone because it's difficult to use while you're driving? Talk about first-world problems.
    tim

I use gmote on my phone in my left hand to control my bedroom TV and eat, type, whatever with my right no problem. I'm right handed and have no issues operating the One with my left hand. I also have pretty small hands so the issues people are having with the top button are confusing me. I mean if you honestly have a problem fair enough, but it sounds more like biased complaining to me, especially when you state the s3 has a more responsive screen. Either your phone is defective and you should take it back, or you downloaded some bad app that is wrecking cpu and ram usage, or you just aren't telling the truth. Either way I feel it's dishonest to claim the phone is unresponsive.

Edit: with linking contacts make sure you hit the save button. I've never had trouble linking contacts in any Android phone so it sounds like user error.

Well LDS, it just goes to show how subjective phone impressions are. The power button location isn't a problem for me, I can easily operate it one-handed in my left-hand, when using my Lumia 920 I always appreciate the slimness when back on my One, etc. etc. I had a bit of a learning curve on how Sense 5 likes to do things, but after a couple days of use it's already second nature so doesn't bother me at all.

My one question is why your unit has poor performance....mine scrolls up and down flawlessly in Sense. Internally some *apps* may be a bit slower, but the OS has been nothing but silky smooth for me, so I wonder if there's something running amok in the background on your phone to cause that?

However, it sounds like you're not "clicking" with the phone, so whether or not it's worth tracking down the cause of the performance issue is up to you, you might just want to go for the S4, especially if you like the S3 lots! And, btw, why didn't you get your wife the S*4*?!? Some nice advantages over the S3 like screen brightness and a better camera. I'm sure she'd prefer it!
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
    LDS_Calame likes this.

The S4 is more expensive so there is that. This was a key feature when deciding between it and the One for me. I couldn't justify fifty bucks for the like one or two features I felt the S4 had over the One. That and the notion I'd have to spend even more money to get the storage the same size (though not as useful) as HTC's phone were some of the biggest deciding factors for me.
    LDS_Calame likes this.

Touche.
    Silicon case will relieve the issues of gripping the phone. As for smoothness - by no means is the HTC One choppy - in fact, today it's been much better than last night... last night I couldn't swipe from the edge of the screen... if I started near the edge, it would nudge the page, but it wouldn't switch.

Never struggled with moving apps on accident on my Evo - but I do understand why the shortcut button is necessary with the ability to organize your apps screen as desired (makes perfect sense now that phones can hold many more apps).

Worst part I think is a JB issue - not HTC One... When connected to Google Now, the Google Search widget absolutely will not work, unless using speech. Text search completely disabled... took me a few hours to figure out what was causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl View Post
    1) Android does have a learning curve, but it is worth it
    2) Now way an SIII is smoother than a properly functioning HTC One. The one is definitely worth $150 more and not just because of smoothness.
    3) I agree that the sense 5 launcher is a pain. You may try a different launcher, apex/adw/nova, etc. They tend to be better and you can set things like you want.
    4) Regarding size and feel - if after a few day you haven't adapted to it, then the phone is not for you. Some people like different shapes/sizes/materials. That is nice about android, you can choose from several different good options. If you think the SIII feels better in the hand, go for it.
    1) Iphone requires a bigger learning curve and $ curve than Android, any day. If someone says it doesn't require a learning curve, it just means they aren't using anything on it.
    2) HTC One performed much better today with swiping... will keep an eye on this... is flawless now.
    3) Great point. I think I just need a grippy case. I'm just annoyed that most reviewers say phones are "bulky... too thick... or too big... or too heavy..." I really liked the weight of the Evo - it felt sturdy.. if you are in to the lightest, skinniest phone - this is definitely the one.

Really? Did you only read that one word, because I'm pretty sure that made up less than 1% of my post. And it's not complaining - it's informing people who have yet to make a purchase so they can make an educated decision. I love HTC - and I'm doing ok with this phone - but let me be more fair - I'm not impressed with the GSIV, GSIII, or the CRYPhone either.

It'e been 3 years since the Evo came out and the best they can do is a little better battery, a slightly better camera, a little more space and a user interface that is only arguably better? It's consumers like yourself that hurt the market. You're too scared to open your mouth while industries sit back and play golf while you keep your mouth shut and accept what you're given because "everyone else is upgrading".

Welcome to a first-world forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbootcrm View Post
    I use gmote on my phone in my left hand to control my bedroom TV and eat, type, whatever with my right no problem. I'm right handed and have no issues operating the One with my left hand. I also have pretty small hands so the issues people are having with the top button are confusing me. I mean if you honestly have a problem fair enough, but it sounds more like biased complaining to me, especially when you state the s3 has a more responsive screen. Either your phone is defective and you should take it back, or you downloaded some bad app that is wrecking cpu and ram usage, or you just aren't telling the truth. Either way I feel it's dishonest to claim the phone is unresponsive.

Edit: with linking contacts make sure you hit the save button. I've never had trouble linking contacts in any Android phone so it sounds like user error.
    Alright... I'm 6'2"... holding the phone with just your left hand... how in the world do you reach the power button AND slide to unlock at the same time without dropping it? Do you have a case - because my pointer finger hardly reaches that far, and I always end up punching the volume keys at the same time. I know this is dumb... I'm just amazed...

Quote Originally Posted by karmamule View Post
    Well LDS, it just goes to show how subjective phone impressions are. The power button location isn't a problem for me, I can easily operate it one-handed in my left-hand, when using my Lumia 920 I always appreciate the slimness when back on my One, etc. etc. I had a bit of a learning curve on how Sense 5 likes to do things, but after a couple days of use it's already second nature so doesn't bother me at all.

My one question is why your unit has poor performance....mine scrolls up and down flawlessly in Sense. Internally some *apps* may be a bit slower, but the OS has been nothing but silky smooth for me, so I wonder if there's something running amok in the background on your phone to cause that?

However, it sounds like you're not "clicking" with the phone, so whether or not it's worth tracking down the cause of the performance issue is up to you, you might just want to go for the S4, especially if you like the S3 lots! And, btw, why didn't you get your wife the S*4*?!? Some nice advantages over the S3 like screen brightness and a better camera. I'm sure she'd prefer it!
    Unfortunately no phone will be a better alternative - I'm just frustrated at these companies for putting so little direction into their R&D when phones could be way better than they are.

As for my wife - I'm a lucky man and married well. She'd rather spend money more wisely rather than care about a few pixels. The quality of the SIII is practically perfect. I just wanted to support HTC for how well they did with the EVO I've been so happy with, otherwise I'd have gone with SIII - just trying to work out a few kinks. Like the fact that Google Now makes my Google Search completely crash.

Alright... I'm 6'2"... holding the phone with just your left hand... how in the world do you reach the power button AND slide to unlock at the same time without dropping it? Do you have a case - because my pointer finger hardly reaches that far, and I always end up punching the volume keys at the same time. I know this is dumb... I'm just amazed...
    You don't have to do both at the same time. I pick up the phone with my finger on the power button, press the button, then tilt a little forward so phone slides in my hand. I then use my thumb to unlock. You have several seconds after pressing power to unlock the screen. Also, no case. I find it just natural now the pressing then sliding. I prefer the power button up top so I don't hit it when holding the phone to operate one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Leventon View Post
    I got my HTC One today which I am really chuffed with now I have Swiftkey installed onto it. I was playing around trying to replace the standard browser in the launch bar with chrome but it created a foilder instead. I now can't remove either of them from the folder. Anyone know how to go about this ?