Power Button Placement-Thoughts?

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
From those who have received theirs, how annoying is the placement of the power button? On a device this size, I just cant understand HTC's thought process. I have played with one in the store, and I could barely reach the power button one handed. Turning it on must be a chore one handed as well, right? All the way to the upper left, all the way back down for the swipe up.

What do those of you using the device think?

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I have relatively big hands. It's only very slightly annoying, but I'm coming from only ever having Samsung phones that have the power button on the side. It's a learning curve just like the capacitive buttons.

08BlackWRX

May 21, 2011
Visit site
i actually dont mind where the power button is... but would have liked the volume rocker to be on the left side of the phone and not the right. Just personal preference.. not a deal breaker tho

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hate it. my only gripe with the phone. I almost always bold with my left hand. top right is a hassle...top left is horrible. I'd love swipe up from bottom to unlock but I like right side power button as well.

Sprintguy1376

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
From those who have received theirs, how annoying is the placement of the power button? On a device this size, I just cant understand HTC's thought process. I have played with one in the store, and I could barely reach the power button one handed. Turning it on must be a chore one handed as well, right? All the way to the upper left, all the way back down for the swipe up.

What do those of you using the device think?

I got used to it pretty quick. Kind of have to shimmy the phone in your hand to reach it sometimes, but within a day it was natural. My issue is more with how flush the button is.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I got used to it pretty quick. Kind of have to shimmy the phone in your hand to reach it sometimes, but within a day it was natural. My issue is more with how flush the button is.

Yeah, I have been using HTC phones for a while so the top power button is not a big deal. I actually like it better than the HTC LTE's power button.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
2nd worst part of the entire phone. I hate it. I am all for side power buttons. Especially on bigger phones. I think the Lumia 900 had just about the best button layout of any phone I have ever used.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Even tho I'm still waiting on my device, I prefer the top power button. Whenever I'd use my hubbys s3, I'd always turn it off on the side. Once he got a case wasn't so bad.

Htcs reasoning behind it was using the phone as a remote. Makes sense to me.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand that the power button needs to be at the top for the IR blaster, but why does it have to be the top left? Why can't it be the top right just like every other phone with a top power button? If it was top right, the IR blaster would still be facing forward to work, right?

Hush Martin

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's honestly does not even bother me. I never noticed that there was anything that anyone could dislike about it. However...I would KILL for a silent button/switch like my iPhone had...

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand that the power button needs to be at the top for the IR blaster, but why does it have to be the top left? Why can't it be the top right just like every other phone with a top power button? If it was top right, the IR blaster would still be facing forward to work, right?

Because if you are right handed then your index finger reaches it easier than if it was on the left side. I like it but its just on personal preference.

Sprintguy1376

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
It's honestly does not even bother me. I never noticed that there was anything that anyone could dislike about it. However...I would KILL for a silent button/switch like my iPhone had...

Heck yes. The sound profile widget SLIGHTLY makes up for it.. but it's not the same. I also don't like that when the phone is silent, games and music still plays through the speakers. Makes playing games a work a bit more difficult with how load this sucker is.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Heck yes. The sound profile widget SLIGHTLY makes up for it.. but it's not the same. I also don't like that when the phone is silent, games and music still plays through the speakers. Makes playing games a work a bit more difficult with how load this sucker is.
This is the first I've heard of these issues and they're not insignificant. Not having a physical silence switch is a huge bummer, I hadn't even thought of that.

skizzoid

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm okay with the power button on the top, though my fingers keep defaulting to the sides after using a Nexus. The thing that concerns me is that the power buttons feels slightly flimsy, as if repeated pushes might cause it to stop functioning (as a button). So I'd love to map the volume button to turn on the phone (like on on my Nexus) if HTC decides to provide the option; otherwise, when I (inevitably) load up a custom ROM, I'll have that feature again.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

I actually like it better on the left unlike my EVO LTE, easier for one hand use. I can easily reach it with my index finger while holding the phone in my right hand

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hate it. my only gripe with the phone. I almost always bold with my left hand. top right is a hassle...top left is horrible. I'd love swipe up from bottom to unlock but I like right side power button as well.

There is an app that was reviewed be Joe Levi pocket now that does just that, and seems to work great without affecting the battey life

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Now it didn't. The GS4 and Optimus G Pro both have IR blasters and side power buttons. They could have done both, they just couldn't have put the IR blaster IN the power button, which while neat, isn't required.