Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Headphone controls?

Hi all...I'm new to the Android scene after just getting an HTC One, and can't seem to figure out the settings for the earbud controls with music. One click is play/pause, but double clicking redials my last call and only after I hang up does it skip to the next track. I've combed all the settings and also tried a few plugins for added configuration but nothing seems to work. Any ideas? Is this an HTC One/Sense thing or Android in general? I could care less about controlling the phone, just the music.

I'm using Google Music rather than the standard music app, maybe that's the problem.

Thanks in advance!
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Headphone controls?

Interesting to know. Are they beats by the way? Any photos of them? How's their performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Fhenrus View Post
    Interesting to know. Are they beats by the way? Any photos of them? How's their performance?
    There is no branding on them, that I can see.
    I've never owned a pair of beats to compare to, but they sound good for free pair of buds.

From my newly opened HTC One
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headphone controls?-uploadfromtaptalk1366335171946.jpg  

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The beats headphones wont turn the volume up and down either. Come on HTC really. And they are urBeats. Not the off brand. Ugh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyRob View Post
    The beats headphones wont turn the volume up and down either. Come on HTC really. And they are urBeats. Not the off brand. Ugh.

Wait... So earphones or headphones don't work well with the phone? Or what's that supposed to mean?

No, he is whining that his beats earphones don't have a volume control! As if reaching for the volume rocker on the phone is too taxing for him!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's HTC with beats... Forgive me for wanting the BEATS headphones to work correctly with the phone with the BEATS logo all over it.

tlo07 and Jedichan007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyRob View Post
    It's HTC with beats... Forgive me for wanting the BEATS headphones to work correctly with the phone with the BEATS logo all over it.

I believe it's an issue with your headphones, not the phone itself. Having a phone that doesn't respond to volume control on an earphones or headphones is mostly an issue with the volume control device in your earphones/headphones themselves. Indeed it would be ironic if it wasn't. Test some earpods.

I believe it's an issue with your headphones, not the phone itself. Having a phone that doesn't respond to volume control on an earphones or headphones is mostly an issue with the volume control device in your earphones/headphones themselves. Indeed it would be ironic if it wasn't. Test some earpods.
    I think the point is that there's no volume control on the earbuds.

But seriously, who was expecting quality, FREE earbuds? Of course they're terrible, all of the free ones that ship with phones are terrible. Go spend a little money for a decent pair.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The headphones sound and feel decent, especially considering the usual POS quality you typically get from free headphones. BUT...the control may as well have been left out because it does not work nor offer any ability to edit what the button does. Phone and music are tied together, period. I've now tried 4 different apps to get them to work but no avail. Really a shame...this phone seems to be meant NOT to be used with headphones, only the speakers (which do sound incredible, but Im not that guy that walks down the street blaring his speakerphone for all humanity to hear)
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Sidenote: It is definitely a software issue that doesn't jive with the button, it also doesn't work with Beats Solo clicker nor Apple, nor Bose, nor JVC...we've been testing it with as many headphone clickers as can be found in the office.

Has anyone tried Headset Button Controller from the Play store?

There is a free trial to make sure it works. It's supposed to configure a one-button headset remote for nearly every possible function. I didn't expect HTC to bundle a decent app that could arrange the number of clicks to a certain response, but I'm curious if any app can overcome this.
    Thanked by 2:

Man if my Shures that I use with my iPhone 4s don't offer the same functionality on the One I'll be bummed. play/pause, volume control and next/last track functionality is something I use a lot while running.
    59er9er and Jedichan007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    Man if my Shures that I use with my iPhone 4s don't offer the same functionality on the One I'll be bummed. play/pause, volume control and next/last track functionality is something I use a lot while running.
    If they are made for iPhone, they likely won't. This is not Shure, HTC, or Google's fault, but Apple's fault. They use a non-standard layout for its headphone jack, meaning companies have to choose whether to make their headphones follow the industry standard and be compatible with Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones, or use Apple's non standard layout and be iPhone and iPod compatible.
    br3ndo702 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    If they are made for iPhone, they likely won't. This is not Shure, HTC, or Google's fault, but Apple's fault. They use a non-standard layout for its headphone jack, meaning companies have to choose whether to make their headphones follow the industry standard and be compatible with Android, Windows, and Blackberry phones, or use Apple's non standard layout and be iPhone and iPod compatible.
    Can the buttons be remapped to work as they should?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Venkman View Post
    Has anyone tried Headset Button Controller from the Play store?

There is a free trial to make sure it works. It's supposed to configure a one-button headset remote for nearly every possible function. I didn't expect HTC to bundle a decent app that could arrange the number of clicks to a certain response, but I'm curious if any app can overcome this.
    This is the first app that works!! Thanks for the heads up!

Nope. Each little section on the mini jack on the headphones is hard wired to a certain function. Its not a software thing, its a hardware thing. It is another way Apple tries to get people to stay in their ecosystem. If you have a $300 pair of iPhone compatible headphones, your more likely to stay with an iPhone for your next phone. They will still work to listen, but nothing else. No mic, no controls. If you look, most companies that make high end headphones will sell an iPhone version AND an "Android" version. One uses Apple's proprietary hardware setup one uses the industry standard.

Quote Originally Posted by sspringer11 View Post
    The headphones sound and feel decent, especially considering the usual POS quality you typically get from free headphones. BUT...the control may as well have been left out because it does not work nor offer any ability to edit what the button does. Phone and music are tied together, period. I've now tried 4 different apps to get them to work but no avail. Really a shame...this phone seems to be meant NOT to be used with headphones, only the speakers (which do sound incredible, but Im not that guy that walks down the street blaring his speakerphone for all humanity to hear)
    Woah, so... Any Bose earphones with mic and volume control won't work? I also got a wireless beats pair, I supposed as they were both beats they would both work

Woah, so... Any Bose earphones with mic and volume control won't work? I also got a wireless beats pair, I supposed as they were both beats they would both work
    Bose sells Android versions and iPhone versions. As do Beats, Shure, Skullkandy, and many many others. Wireless is different, because that is over bluetooth, they will be fine. It is only headphones you plug in, because the connectors in Apple's headphone jack do not follow the industry standard order.

It's going to be a big let down if the One has software problems to work with most headphones.

- - - Updated - - -

Bose sells Android versions and iPhone versions. Wireless is different, because that is over bluetooth, they will be fine. It is only headphones you plug in.
    And do you think this will get fixed?

Each little section on the mini jack on the headphones is hard wired to a certain function. Its not a software thing, its a hardware thing.
    That doesn't exactly make sense. The signal from the remote will trigger the signal to the specific section of the mini jack that it is wired for, but it's software on the other end that interprets that signal and tells the audio player / phone what to do. Seems odd to me that someone couldn't solve this issue with software.

Thankfully with Shure's new system I should be able to just swap out the cable with the remote on it for $50.

I think the point is that there's no volume control on the earbuds.

But seriously, who was expecting quality, FREE earbuds? Of course they're terrible, all of the free ones that ship with phones are terrible. Go spend a little money for a decent pair.
    From what had been said early on, I was expecting pretty good headphones with the One. I had read a preview stating the earbuds were almost on par with the urBeats earbuds, which also have been packed with certain HTC phones. So I would think HTC COULD, not will, but could, actually have included decent buds.

Quote Originally Posted by rydubois View Post
    From what had been said early on, I was expecting pretty good headphones with the One. I had read a preview stating the earbuds were almost on par with the urBeats earbuds, which also have been packed with certain HTC phones. So I would think HTC COULD, not will, but could, actually have included decent buds.
    All the reviews of Beats brand stuff has shown them to be, well, less than good. I can swap out the control cable on my Shure's for this one Amazon.com: Shure CBL-M-K Music Phone Adapter Cable Plus Mic: Musical Instruments but I only get a single button then. No ability to adjust volume like with the iPhone version. Too bad, that was a nice feature.

That doesn't exactly make sense. The signal from the remote will trigger the signal to the specific section of the mini jack that it is wired for, but it's software on the other end that interprets that signal and tells the audio player / phone what to do. Seems odd to me that someone couldn't solve this issue with software.

Thankfully with Shure's new system I should be able to just swap out the cable with the remote on it for $50.
    Especially on the One where there is an amp involved, I would think each section of the mini plug would be wired to go through the amp and send audio signals.

All the reviews of Beats brand stuff has shown them to be, well, less than good.
    Now that is entirely possible. I've not been able to actually find legit reviews on Beats headphones and only have the word of my buddy that has a pair to go off of. He has the urBeats and seems to love them. Says they give him good sound and solid bass. Now he's no audiophile, so I can't say for sure.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast