Has anyone tried to root the one yet

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering this is a powerful phone and with root could be even more powerful

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

I unlocked my bootloader through htcDev, installed TWRP, and then flashed ViperROM....so I now have root access.
I played with the phone for about 10 minutes when I got it, just to satisfy my initial excitement....then I began the process :)

chesalaam

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
just finished rooting mine...gonna stay on stock for a bit and wait for the roms to stable out even more...mainly wanted to freeze bloat and allow tethering at the moment

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Pretty easy. Follow the steps over at XDA. Unlock with HTC tool and install a custom bootloader. No need to flash a ROM.

Sent from my HTC One

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
No luck rooting at all. I'm using the All-In-One tool over at xda, but whenever I try to perform the Perm Root command, I get this in the command line window:

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "echo 'boot-rec
overy ' > /cache/recovery/command"
/system/bin/sh: can't create /cache/recovery/command: Permission denied

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "echo '--update
_package=SDCARD:SuperSU.zip' >> /cache/recovery/command"

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "reboot recover
y"
reboot: Operation not permitted

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Really frustrating.

poncewattle

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
No luck rooting at all. I'm using the All-In-One tool over at xda, but whenever I try to perform the Perm Root command, I get this in the command line window:

I see someone else over at XDA had same problem.

They said they got it working by...

" i manually did it via recovery and flash su.zip"

I still don't know what that means myself, being new to the Android world and still anxiously awaiting my One.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "echo 'boot-rec
overy ' > /cache/recovery/command"

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "echo '--update
_package=SDCARD:SuperSU.zip' >> /cache/recovery/command"

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "reboot recover
y"
reboot: Operation not permitted

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Really frustrating.

Do it manually. Use the toolkit to flash recovery if not done already. Once that's done download a superuser file and put it on your phone and flash it from recovery and you're done. I was having problems with rooting using the tool as well so I just flashed it the old fashioned way.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been rooted since I got my phone on Thursday. I flashed a couple roms but when back to stock. I'll wait until there's some more development.

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Do it manually. Use the toolkit to flash recovery if not done already. Once that's done download a superuser file and put it on your phone and flash it from recovery and you're done. I was having problems with rooting using the tool as well so I just flashed it the old fashioned way.

Thanks. I did the rest of the root manually and it worked like a charm!

melodic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
i'm curious, which roms did you flash? how come you decided to go back to stock? are the current roms a bit buggy? i'm coming from a HOX with AOSP and i am SO sick of things not working and randomly crashing. I thought that since the current One roms are all sense based they wouldn't have any bugs/glitches?

melodic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
my guess is they just wanted to get it unlocked and rooted, just incase if they want to install a ROM it'll be ready, quick and easy!

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
so what does unlocking the bootloader do if you keep everything stock?

Most importantly it allows you the option to install a custom rom later it AT&T does indeed "permanently" lock the bootloader(if they haven't already). My point is it future proofs it if you want to mess with it later. My girlfriend was a bit bewildered when I hadn't even played around for 2 minutes when I had the micro sd plugged in hacking away. She said show me all the cool stuff you've been talking about. I was so paranoid that AT&T was going to render the HTC Dev tool useless it was a race against time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: I say "hacking" like I'm actually doing it but it's all thanks to the developers that any of this is even possible. It's really amazing....

nrquig

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Most importantly it allows you the option to install a custom rom later it AT&T does indeed "permanently" lock the bootloader(if they haven't already). My point is it future proofs it if you want to mess with it later. My girlfriend was a bit bewildered when I hadn't even played around for 2 minutes when I had the micro sd plugged in hacking away. She said show me all the cool stuff you've been talking about. I was so paranoid that AT&T was going to render the HTC Dev tool useless it was a race against time.

EDIT: I say "hacking" like I'm actually doing it but it's all thanks to the developers that any of this is even possible. It's really amazing....
so all you do is unlock the phone, you dont gain any access to remove bloatware and stuff until you install custom ROMS?

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
so all you do is unlock the phone, you dont gain any access to remove bloatware and stuff until you install custom ROMS?

Unlocking the bootloader in and of itself does nothing you can see. It's bs it even exists in the first place. However it's the first step if you want to install custom kernels or roms. Some phones gain root while the bootloader remains locked. But the developers have to find an exploit to do so. What a lot of people do is install a rom that gives you root access. But on the AT&T HTC One you have to unlock the bootloader first.
Right now there are several roms that keep the phone completely stock Sense with a few tweaks such as an option to lower the level of auto brightness to save a little battery as well as removing bloatware.

nrquig

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Unlocking the bootloader in and of itself does nothing you can see. It's bs it even exists in the first place. However it's the first step if you want to install custom kernels or roms. Some phones gain root while the bootloader remains locked. But the developers have to find an exploit to do so. What a lot of people do is install a rom that gives you root access. But on the AT&T HTC One you have to unlock the bootloader first.
Right now there are several roms that keep the phone completely stock Sense with a few tweaks such as an option to lower the level of auto brightness to save a little battery as well as removing bloatware.

thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae