HTC One USB Storage: Not possible?

musicgold

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This is how I got my HTC One's USB storage (internal storage) to work.

1. I was able to see the phone's internal storage on my Windows 8 laptop without any problem.
2. It was my Windows XP laptop that was not able to see the internal storage. So first I had to download the HTC Sync Manager. The sync manager requires you to download Windows Media Player 11 (which requires Windows Genuine Advantage verification).
Once I downloaded the sync manager and all the required drivers, my XP machine automatically showed the phone's internal storage. That is I don't need to have the sync manager open to see the internal storage. Every time I connect the phone to my xp laptop, the sync manager starts automatically but I close it and I can still use the phone's internal storage.

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I had an EVO 3D (GREAT Phone!) then went to HTC One a few days ago. I have been mounting phone USB drive to my XP machine in the past and directly editing files. I do this for portability. The HTC ONE however made me install HTC driver software on my work PC and won't let me directly edit the files with Microsoft office. When I open my files on the phone, it starts working from temporary space on the PC and won't save or update back to HTC. Then I have residual files on the PC and must drag and drop back to the phone and delete temp files. I just want to mount it a standard USB drive with a drive letter and be able to edit files directly to that path. Any help?

The phone itself is not the problem. Android 4 and above remove the ability to mount the phone as a USB drive. The reason this was done was so that they could have one file system on the entire phone, not separate file systems for "apps" and "user files". Android 4.x only allows the phone to be mounted as an "MTP" (Media Transfer Protocol) device. The computer sees it essentially as an MP3 player, not as a USB drive. Again, this was done so that the Android device didn't have to maintain two file systems.

dr.who

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I've found a way to map my HTC One to a drive letter on my WinXP laptop and Win 7 netbook but it's done over WiFi, not via USB cable. If any one is interested I can detail how I did it.

RebeccaCool

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I've found a way to map my HTC One to a drive letter on my WinXP laptop and Win 7 netbook but it's done over WiFi, not via USB cable. If any one is interested I can detail how I did it.

Do tell....

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

dr.who

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This is how I mapped my HTC One to a drive letter. It takes a little bit of work to set it up at first but then it's easy.

1. You need to set up your One to be an FTP server. There are numerous free apps but I use the one built in to Solid explorer.
See screenshot

Screenshot_HTC_FTP.jpg
2. Download FTPUse from here Map FTP drive as local disk drive - FTPUSE and install
3. Based on the information in the screenshot, I created a batch file with the following parameters
cd\Program Files\FERRO Software\FtpUse
ftpuse p: 192.168.1.83 mypassword /USER:admin /PORT:9999

(where 'p:' is the letter I chose to map my phone to and 'mypassword' is whatever you enter in the FTP server configuration)
I have another batch file to sever the connection with the following parameters
ftpuse p /delete
For those who don't know, a batch file is simply a text file which you can create in Notepad or similar with .bat as the extension
My two files are called ftpstart.bat and ftpend.bat

Hope this makes sense and works for whoever tries it :)

Morgoroth

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured out a fix for this? My problem is not moving files around with a computer. I can do that all day.
What I can't do, is hook my phone up to a scanner or ps3 and use it like a flash drive.
Is there an app or anything that will let me do that?
It seems silly to carry around a separate flash drive when I have a phone that used to do it.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
What I can't do, is hook my phone up to a scanner or ps3 and use it like a flash drive.
Is there an app or anything that will let me do that?
It seems silly to carry around a separate flash drive when I have a phone that used to do it.
It just isn't possible unless the device can read the file system on the One. I read in another thread that this is being pushed by Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech