Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bonedatt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Can't get Wifi Tethering to work ?

Recently I've been trying to use the native wifi tethering app to ther my 3g to my laptop. However, when i was trying to connect to the hotspot on my laptop, it said "Unidentified network" with no internet connect. I know that it's not the problem with my carrier cuz I used USB tethering mode and it works fine. Has anyone encountered this problem ? Any solutions ?

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Default Re: Can't get Wifi Tethering to work ?

Mobile Network Sharing > Portable Wifi Hotspot works great for me.

Does it see the One at all did you give it a name or did you use the default name?? Your laptop should see it like any other router unless you choose to hide the router then you must manually add it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Does it see the One at all did you give it a name or did you use the default name?? Your laptop should see it like any other router unless you choose to hide the router then you must manually add it.
    Well it does, that why I said I can connect to it. Certainly it's not the problem with my laptop because I try connecting using my iPad and still doesn't work. It keeps on connecting forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakiro201 View Post
    Well it does, that why I said I can connect to it. Certainly it's not the problem with my laptop because I try connecting using my iPad and still doesn't work. It keeps on connecting forever.
    Ok what OS is your laptop running?

You might and check and see if you have a service running called Bonjour DNS Responder Service if so stop it and disable it. Then disable/enable your NIC on your Laptop and see if you can get on-line then. I read where that service can cause you to get a Unidentified Network.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well I just found out that my data plan doesn't allow tethering using SIM card So that's why it doesn't work. Is there any way to bypass this restriction?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

You will need to Unlock your bootloader from Welcome to HTCdev, root your device and install a wifi tether app from the play store for you to bypass the restriction. The other option will be to pay your carrier for the tethering service.
    Thanked by:
    hodan 
    hodan likes this.

I frequently get the same problem, with both usb and wifi tethering. It seems to happen more the older my phone gets. i've tried a few things, reset NICs, change network config. My best solution so far is to power off the phone, then power it on. It seems to work for me. Does anyone have any other solutions?

Sony Xperia Tipo Dual

I can't get my HTC One to tether. I've searched and tried over and over...keep getting a message to try again after turning off Hotspot, but my Wi-Fi hotspot is off (in fact Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot won't turn on).

Some say downloaded apps are needed, but most of what I read simply says to turn on tethering. A little help? What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

First check if your plan allows it. If it doesn't you will need to do some work.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by prissysox View Post
    First check if your plan allows it. If it doesn't you will need to do some work.

I was wondering about this too. I do not have a tethering plan, but on my DE I can activate this. Is AT&T gonna slap me around if I use it?

So there is no way to get a tethering app on AT&T without rooting it?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    I was wondering about this too. I do not have a tethering plan, but on my DE I can activate this. Is AT&T gonna slap me around if I use it?
    Idts unless your usage is out of hand

Quote Originally Posted by ncbuckeye View Post
    So there is no way to get a tethering app on AT&T without rooting it?

Posted via Android Central App
    No sir. Your plan had to allow it or you have to root.

Yeah, Same as me. I using xperia minipro using cyanogen mod 7.2 MIUI, my problem is Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot won't turn on. I don't know why, also I download some of APKs from market and try it, but still wont work. USB tether, Wifi tether, also BT tether all won't work, so frustrating. Anyone can help me?

Hey..I just got my wireless up and running on my HTC one. [I]m actually using it now... i am rooted but i had a hard time finding the tethering app that actually worked. Go here for the app im using --> Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting. In setting change the device profile to -->Generic ICS/JB (Wlan0) the go down and check wifi driver reload. Hope this helps..work like a charm for me.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I've solved the problem using this app :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tetherunlocker

You need root permissions.
    Thanked by 2: