Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night

I went to a concert last night. It was my first test of the HTC ONE for concert photography. In most of the pictures I took, the singer appeared too hot/white. I tried to play with some of the settings, but in the midst of a concert, I wasn't too successful. I did notice a lot of people with GS3's and Iphone taking pictures near me and the singer was clear in the pictures. Could the concert lighting be too much for the Megapixels of the HTC ONE?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-27-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Default Re: Concerns with Concert Photography last night

Quote Originally Posted by roneill View Post
    I went to a concert last night. It was my first test of the HTC ONE for concert photography. In most of the pictures I took, the singer appeared too hot/white. I tried to play with some of the settings, but in the midst of a concert, I wasn't too successful. I did notice a lot of people with GS3's and Iphone taking pictures near me and the singer was clear in the pictures. Could the concert lighting be too much for the Megapixels of the HTC ONE?
    Post some pics?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

https://share.htc.com/afdcpYKR3 Most of the pictures, the singer was washed out like this. Other people would get clear pics.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

https://share.htc.com/afdcpYKR3 Most of the pictures, the singer was washed out like this. Other people would get clear pics.
    That's photo is terrible. So much for the ultrapixel gimmick.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I don't have the One, but is there any way to set exposure by tapping on the screen or something? The phone seems to be setting the exposure based on the wrong points. Have you tried focusing on the singer before clicking the photo?
    ksavaiano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    That's photo is terrible. So much for the ultrapixel gimmick.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Looks like the shooter maybe zoomed in?

And as said below, did the shooter tap to focus on the singer first?
    T-Mobile: HTC One | Nexus 4 | Former iPhone user

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

Also, what mode were you using? Normal or night mode? Flash or no flash, etc.? There are just too many variables at play to just "blame it on the phone".

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

I recently took this phone to a concert too. Here are my results.

Also, did you go with friends? Can you get the pics from their phones too to compare?

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night-uploadfromtaptalk1366827382827.jpg   HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night-uploadfromtaptalk1366827410714.jpg   HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night-uploadfromtaptalk1366827425991.jpg   HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night-uploadfromtaptalk1366827442653.jpg  
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I tapped on the singer multiple times to focus on her.. I switched from normal to night time a few times. The rest of the pictures would be ok except when the spot light was on the singer which was most of the show.

My point is that everyone sitting around me had good pictures of her and not so bright like the majority of my pics.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

The lighting at your concert was nowhere near the one that I went to. You can tell in yours when the singer was under the light, he was completely white also.

Well, it appears that the One is metering the whole scene, which results in the singer being overexposed, while the rest of the photo is not. 2 solutions - use HDR or manually change the exposure, looks like at least 1 to 2 stops. After a few pictures you have to be able to evaluate what you have and adjust to get the most out of any camera. My guess is the S3s did not register any of the scene other than the singer as the S3 processor would ignore the dark areas.

This could be something they could work on to enhance the software, but in any case, if you want the photos to turn out you will need to learn to adjust the settings whn neccessary.
    Thanked by 2:

I tapped on the singer multiple times to focus on her.. I switched from normal to night time a few times. The rest of the pictures would be ok except when the spot light was on the singer which was most of the show.

My point is that everyone sitting around me had good pictures of her and not so bright like the majority of my pics.
    Did you use the digital zoom in any or all of these pics?
    T-Mobile: HTC One | Nexus 4 | Former iPhone user
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by mo-bile#AC View Post
    Did you use the digital zoom in any or all of these pics?
    The first pic I posted of her hovering was without a zoom. The others had some zoom. Zooming did affect the singer and how white she was but not much.

The first pic I posted of her hovering was without a zoom. The others had some zoom. Zooming did affect the singer and how white she was but not much.
    HDR mode would definitely solve that problem. I took a GREAT HDR shot a day or so ago from outside on my patio. I had the patio lights on but couldnt really see in to the grass and the phone captured way more detail then i could even see with my eyes
    Sent from Jupiter... Yes Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by ksavaiano View Post
    HDR mode would definitely solve that problem. I took a GREAT HDR shot a day or so ago from outside on my patio. I had the patio lights on but couldnt really see in to the grass and the phone captured way more detail then i could even see with my eyes
    How does the HDR photo work? Does it work even in Night mode? I'm curious, because I know that in Night Mode, the camera typically does longer exposures, so taking two/three 'longer' exposure shots for HDR would create a lot of ghosting wouldn't it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EverNap View Post
    How does the HDR photo work? Does it work even in Night mode? I'm curious, because I know that in Night Mode, the camera typically does longer exposures, so taking two/three 'longer' exposure shots for HDR would create a lot of ghosting wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Well there was a small amount of ghosting on my dog as he was jumping but i will post the picture here in a few minutes. You cant set it to "HDR-night" mode there is just night OR HDR. In my experience when i took the night shot it definitely captured the area near me very well, but the HDR shot captured the background perfectly

Unfortunately i didnt keep the night mode shot for comparison
    Thanked by:

As you can see, there is some ghosting, but considering i couldnt see the back wall at ALL with my eyes i am quite impressed. Definitely not the best picture as i was just messing with the camera

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTC One: Concerns with Concert Photography last night-uploadfromtaptalk1366831759120.jpg  
    EverNap likes this.

As you can see, there is some ghosting, but considering i couldnt see the back wall at ALL with my eyes i am quite impressed. Definitely not the best picture as i was just messing with the camera
    Nice! I'm sure the pic would've been much better if it had only inanimate/slow-moving objects.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    Has NOTHING to do with "ultrapixel gimmick", as you say (why would you even say such pointless thing?) - just a software issue (probably the way light metering algorithm works right now), which can be improved with future patches...
    He obviously said it because he's bored and hoping for a fight... but the new update rolling out to the European models seems to improve the camera performance quite a bit.

Thanks
    It's just a series of photos taken at different exposures, in series with each other and then combined in one image. It's really made for taking pictures when there is a large range in the brightness of the frame. But you are correct in that motion will cause a blurry image, but only because one or more of the individual shots will show it and then use it in the final image. It's like motion when the shutter is open for a long time but not for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
    He obviously said it because he's bored and hoping for a fight... but the new update rolling out to the European models seems to improve the camera performance quite a bit.

It's just a series of photos taken at different exposures, in series with each other and then combined in one image. It's really made for taking pictures when there is a large range in the brightness of the frame. But you are correct in that motion will cause a blurry image, but only because one or more of the individual shots will show it and then use it in the final image. It's like motion when the shutter is open for a long time but not for the same reasons.
    Ah.. thanks. I knew what HDR does, but didn't know how HDR would've helped in the OP's situation where the singer is moving.

Btw, any blogs or posts where there's confirmation of the update improving camera performance? And will the update be pushed to unlocked/Dev devices in the US too, or is it regional?

Thanks

Well there was a small amount of ghosting on my dog as he was jumping but i will post the picture here in a few minutes. You cant set it to "HDR-night" mode there is just night OR HDR. In my experience when i took the night shot it definitely captured the area near me very well, but the HDR shot captured the background perfectly

Unfortunately i didnt keep the night mode shot for comparison
    Before I got the phone, I read a comment that you could trick the phone into Night/HDR mode by going into one then the other or some such. I haven't tried it yet, but likely will now that I have it.

ROM
    Stock

Ah.. thanks. I knew what HDR does, but didn't know how HDR would've helped in the OP's situation where the singer is moving.

Btw, any blogs or posts where there's confirmation of the update improving camera performance? And will the update be pushed to unlocked/Dev devices in the US too, or is it regional?

Thanks
    No reason it wouldn't make it to all of the devices out there. And I'm just going off of what I have seen people say in comment sections of various sites that have reported the update rolling out, including on the front page here. I was kinda' hoping some of our UK buddies here had gotten it and would let us know, but so far nothing in the forums.
    Thanked by:

Your light meter in the phone is setup for wide exposures. To get the singer perfect, you would need a spot meter. Or you could knock down the exposure a lot to get the proper reading on the singer as being your main point of interest.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast