Unlocked or developer edition? If I don't care about the additional 32GB?

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I think 32GB is enough for my use.. i only have a 16GB N4 now.. haha

but is there a compelling reason to buy the dev edition over the unlocked? I think the unlocked version is not s-off but I imagine it would be easy the unlock the bootloader later on, and i don't really plan to flash rom immediately anyways.. i am not a developer.. just like to flash roms usually.

would the dev edition get more speedy updates from htc directly? does it matter?

thanks

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think 32GB is enough for my use.. i only have a 16GB N4 now.. haha

but is there a compelling reason to buy the dev edition over the unlocked? I think the unlocked version is not s-off but I imagine it would be easy the unlock the bootloader later on, and i don't really plan to flash rom immediately anyways.. i am not a developer.. just like to flash roms usually.

would the dev edition get more speedy updates from htc directly? does it matter?

thanks

If you're worried about updates from HTC and not a crack flasher, I wouldn't go with the developer edition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AGReklaw

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I got a response directly from HTC support stating this:

"We certainly understand wanting to make sure you can keep your HTC One up to date despite the unlocked bootloader and can provide some information to help answer your questions.

Unlocking the bootloader on any HTC device actually prevents the phone from receiving official updates. This is because OTA updates are signed and phones with unlocked bootloaders will not be able to verify the signature."

I felt like I was being lied to in this response (They kept trying to push me to buy from AT&T before finally stating):

"In regards to your concern about the 64GB unlocked version, the bootloader cannot be reverted to a locked state; nonetheless, you should have no trouble whatsoever with DRM if you do not use the device for not legal purposes."

I cancelled my order after a two week wait.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci