Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery life while navigating

The only serious issue I'm seeing with this device is that the battery drains while charging plugged into my car head unit, while running google maps as my turn by turn. I'm about to go on my first real road trip with this device tomorrow and I'm pretty sure it will be dead a few hours into the drive simply by acting as my GPS and music streamer. Is this to be expected? Coming from an iPhone 4s where I could use TomTom or Google Nav and stream music while charging and barely touch the battery this is a bummer.

Any advice?

Default Re: Battery life while navigating

fast charge is disabled so itll drain faster than it can charge if youre doing anything battery intensive like using gps navigation and streaming music
    Thanked by:
    JasonF 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKaMan View Post
    fast charge is disabled so itll drain faster than it can charge if youre doing anything battery intensive like using gps navigation and streaming music
    Yeah, that's my experience and my issue. If this device can't charge fast enough to outpace the drain while driving that's a big issue for me. Anyone have any solutions?

Wow, I use my phone as both my music source and directions all the time, so this very well may be the deal breaker for me. Disappointing to say the least. Guess I will wait for either a response from HTC on this issue or see if any updates address it.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Yeah, not quite sure why quick charge cannot be enabled up to a certain point. Would be nice to be able to use the phone for navigation and have a full charge at the end of the trip.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

you must have unlimited data still
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by antw081 View Post
    What sort of car charger unit do you have? What is the rated output? [/B].
    Yeah I'm hoping this is the issue. I'm using a usb connection directly from my aftermarket head unit that is designed for an iPhone. I have a dedicated usb charger that I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    Use standalone navigation device from Garmin.
    This isn't an option. I've been using my phone for navigation since my Treo 650. There's no reason a modern phone shouldn't be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by nrquig View Post
    Yup.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

this is very odd. my HTC Rezound actually charges up to 100% while I'm using GPS, plugged into the car charger, of course. I hope you get that figured out, it would really be a bummer if you can't use your shiny new toy for your navigations purposes.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yeah quick charging is not enabled on this device.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Let us know how the 12V charger works.. I am curious about this as well.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

The slow charging on this phone is killing me. It might be a dealbreaker for me.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

This may be a deal breaker for me also. I had a Galaxy S3 that had the same issue, I tried the 1 amp 5v charger, and it only helped a little, but I would still end up with a battery that had a smaller charge than what I would start out with.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I'll try a 2 amp charger, but if this phone is limiting the charging rate it may not make any difference.

Looks to be heavily dependent on the adapter you're using. This would be a big deal for me as well since I have a 1hr commute (each way) to work. I'm almost always using Waze (full screen brightness) and streaming internet audio. I saw this thread and it had me worried, so I did a test (I've had the One for a week now). I left work with a 100% charge, ran Waze and streamed music the entire time. When I got home I was at 99%. The loss of 1% was probably me using the phone while walking from the office building to the car.

I have this adapter which has always worked well for me: Amazon.com: Satechi CA-2421STB Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4S & 5, Samsung Galaxy S II & S III, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer, Android Phones (2.1 AMP): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Thanked by:

I bought the official HTC One Car Kit D160 with my One and the phone charges just fine while I'm navigating and streaming music via bluetooth to the car stereo simultaneously. I believe it's a 5v charger, and it seems to work beautifully. It looks really nice too, and the One slides comfortably and securely in place.
    Thanked by 2:
    Rndomuser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gathomblipoob View Post
    The slow charging on this phone is killing me. It might be a dealbreaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xmnj View Post
    This may be a deal breaker for me also. I had a Galaxy S3 that had the same issue, I tried the 1 amp 5v charger, and it only helped a little, but I would still end up with a battery that had a smaller charge than what I would start out with.
    If you are willing to/already have root we will probably see a kernel that enables this before too long.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

The HTC ONE is rated to 1A @ 5V input.

2A charger only has the potential to supply more power, but the HTC will only draw 1A max (which is a lot!).
    You can always achieve your goal by lowering your expectations.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

The HTC ONE is rated to 1A @ 5V input.

2A charger only has the potential to supply more power, but the HTC will only draw 1A max (which is a lot!).
    Well that's interesting. 1A isn't really that much compared to what Apple devices want for optimal charging.

Here's my experience on the recent road trip. I was using this device for navigation only as we took my Wife's car and she had her iPhone paired for audio streaming. It's was plugged into the car power outlet with a 12v 2.1A charger. Without adjusting any settings on my One I was burning about 15%-20% of battery per hour just navigating, email and cal sync in the background, etc. This concerned me as I could do all of this on my iPhone, with a less powerful charger and actually charge the iPhone instead of draining it.

After making some adjustments (lower screen brightness, turn off bluetooth, turn on power saving mode, turn off WiFi, turn off LTE) it was much better, but still drained the battery as I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    Well that's interesting. 1A isn't really that much compared to what Apple devices want for optimal charging.

Here's my experience on the recent road trip. I was using this device for navigation only as we took my Wife's car and she had her iPhone paired for audio streaming. It's was plugged into the car power outlet with a 12v 2.1A charger. Without adjusting any settings on my One I was burning about 15%-20% of battery per hour just navigating, email and cal sync in the background, etc. This concerned me as I could do all of this on my iPhone, with a less powerful charger and actually charge the iPhone instead of draining it.

After making some adjustments (lower screen brightness, turn off bluetooth, turn on power saving mode, turn off WiFi, turn off LTE) it was much better, but still drained the battery as I used it.
    That's strange. Other people are reporting their phone just charges while navigating and using bluetooth. Maybe it's your charger... despite claiming 2A, it might be a cheap one.

Also the cable is important. The more thick the cable, better.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Yeah the car outlet is 12V AC. But the charger has to covert that into 5V DC for your phone.

Cheap chargers are inefficient at converting AC to DC. You have to look at what the output spec of your charger is - that is what is important.
    Nah, this is a brand new, quality charger from a reputable brand. The phone must be burning the power faster than it is being supplied.

I'll try with a different cable. I'm currently using a 3ft cable from monoprice.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One Stock All the Way

If you do some Googling, you'll see that Apple USB chargers work differently than standard USB chargers. In fact, a 2A output Apple USB charger may only put out 0.5A for an Android device.

Quote Originally Posted by nrquig View Post
    Why is this a concern? I DO NOT have unlimited data anymore and use my phone for navigation all the time. This weekend I used it for navigation for about 14 hours and that only used 24 mb of data, which is no issue at all. Considering how much data everything else uses, that 24 mb will not hinder me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    That thing looks pretty cool... Except it's not available here in US yet and I believe AT&T disabled the HTC's CAR app
    You can access the car app if you use a launcher, either a full laucher such as Nova/Apex/ADW or even just an app launcher, like cirlce launcher etc.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    If you do some Googling, you'll see that Apple USB chargers work differently than standard USB chargers. In fact, a 2A output Apple USB charger may only put out 0.5A for an Android device.
    I'll take a look, I haven't experienced any issue with iOS charges in my home. The car charger I got wasn't device specific. Also, for some reason my battery usage seems to be getting better. I'm almost half way through the day and have a pretty full battery.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast