Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default ATT HTC One Data Usage

    My new HTC One has been sending data every time I turn it on. At least 5mb per day and at this rate it will use up my data allowance by itself without me even using it, i'm still on the 200mb plan. I noticed when i unlock it there is a satellite dish that comes on next to the 4glte logo for a few seconds. Keeping data off for now until i figure this out, any ideas?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I think that icon is the gps looking for a signal. You can turn off location services, just look for it on the settings menu. Also go to maps and look for the menu and turn off any location reporting there as well. See how many apps are syncing and how frequently. Facebook and Twitter sync a lot if you don't control them. Go to their respective menus and look for it. Try to sync the less you can.

    Sent from my HTCONE
    Topgonzo likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I've used about 900mb of wireless data since I got the phone 4 days ago
  4. #4  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    I've used about 900mb of wireless data since I got the phone 4 days ago
    Didn't you say in another post you stream music and use GPS guidance? The OP of this thread is saying it's doing it while idle.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Also turn off blinkfeed by removing any feed you have there or simply stop it from updating. Any app that auto-updates itself is going to use your precious data. Turn them off.

    Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums
    scorpiodsu likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    You are mostly likely seeing this because of apps, sync settings and location settings. Location services are always pinging to collect location data. The key there is to make sure that apps like facebook and maps are not reporting your location. You can manage this in the settings of the apps and turn off and location reporting. Turn GPS off as well if you aren't using it.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  7. #7  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Didn't you say in another post you stream music and use GPS guidance? The OP of this thread is saying it's doing it while idle.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Yeah but I also thought he said he has unlimited too. So that should be a smiley face LOL.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  8. #8  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    I've used about 900mb of wireless data since I got the phone 4 days ago
    I've used 5.19 mb. I know usage is very subjective, and I'm mostly on wifi, but that sound like a lot unless you never use wifi. (got mine on the 18th)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    It's sending data over the cell network, even when on wifi, every time I turn it on and before any apps are launched. Blinkfeed is off and so are my other apps. However, maps seems to be running on its own for some reason, even after I force stop it.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by mistyisland View Post
    I've used 5.19 mb. I know usage is very subjective, and I'm mostly on wifi, but that sound like a lot unless you never use wifi. (got mine on the 18th)
    He could not be near wifi and he also uses gps and streams music. I stream a lot of music at work and I used 4g to download some from Google music to my phone and I've racked up a good amount. I have 12 days left in my billing cycle but I've got around 2GB+ on 3g and like 4GB+ on 4g used. Just depends what you do with your phone .

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ATT HTC One Data Usage-uploadfromtaptalk1366990522558.jpg  
  11. #11  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    He could not be near wifi and he also uses gps and streams music. I stream a lot of music at work and I used 4g to download some from Google music to my phone and I've racked up a good amount. I have 12 days left in my billing cycle but I've got around 2GB+ on 3g and like 4GB+ on 4g used. Just depends what you do with your phone .

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Yes, I saw that he also went on a trip and was using the navigation. I've never done this, but doesn't that use up data?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by santhon2 View Post
    It's sending data over the cell network, even when on wifi, every time I turn it on and before any apps are launched. Blinkfeed is off and so are my other apps. However, maps seems to be running on its own for some reason, even after I force stop it.
    Go to the settings, ...More, Usage and scroll down. You can see what is using your data. You can also set a warning level and a shutoff level on this page, if you want.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I'll try and clarify this. When I'm home, connected to my wifi and unlock the phone it sends data over the cell network. Nothing received, only sent. I logged on to my att account and looked at data usage by day and time and it shows every time the phone is unlocked data is being sent in varying amounts. I turned data off last night and this morning ay account shows no data usage.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I have 18 days left and I have used 1.8gbs! I haven't once streamed music. I love my phone tons, but I have to say the battery and data usage issue is going to make me return my phone.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by livetoride4666 View Post
    I have 18 days left and I have used 1.8gbs! I haven't once streamed music. I love my phone tons, but I have to say the battery and data usage issue is going to make me return my phone.
    Maybe you're just using the phone and apps more because you love the phone too much, thus consuming more data? :P
  16. #16  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    im 115mb from April 19th.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I am using the phone more, because it's new and awesome. However, I am unable to use the phone at work so I leave it in my car and mainly use it home on wifi. While I am at work I put my phone on airplane mode. I just don't think I should be constantly turning off wifi and apps to make sure I don't gobble down data. My previous phones I would leave on every setting, stream music, use navigation and I not once got close to going over my usage. This has me concerned big time.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by livetoride4666 View Post
    I am using the phone more, because it's new and awesome. However, I am unable to use the phone at work so I leave it in my car and mainly use it home on wifi. While I am at work I put my phone on airplane mode. I just don't think I should be constantly turning off wifi and apps to make sure I don't gobble down data. My previous phones I would leave on every setting, stream music, use navigation and I not once got close to going over my usage. This has me concerned big time.
    I'm not aware of what phone you were using before, but the One probably streams 1080p videos, so you'll likely be consuming tons of data more than your previous phone (if it was anything less than 1080p).

    Does the One, or Android (Jellybean) in general, have a toggle to force apps to stream non-HD videos if on 3G/4G Data?
  19. #19  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I've use 83MG in 4 days. Plenty of browsing, 3 email accounts, Blinkfeed etc... I did turn off every gallery sync I could find. Not sure if those download, but I don't need pics I don't take on my phone. Turned off Location Services in Google as well yesterday.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by livetoride4666 View Post
    I am using the phone more, because it's new and awesome. However, I am unable to use the phone at work so I leave it in my car and mainly use it home on wifi. While I am at work I put my phone on airplane mode. I just don't think I should be constantly turning off wifi and apps to make sure I don't gobble down data. My previous phones I would leave on every setting, stream music, use navigation and I not once got close to going over my usage. This has me concerned big time.
    You probably shouldn't leave in the car if it gets hot. That is bad for the battery.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by mistyisland View Post
    Yes, I saw that he also went on a trip and was using the navigation. I've never done this, but doesn't that use up data?
    Yes. Navigation uses data for the maps.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
  22. #22  
    frellingfrakker's Avatar

    Posts
    206 Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    I'm almost up to 4GB of data used and I just got it a week ago. Lucky for me I've got unlimited data.
    adriandb likes this.
  23. #23  
    kygator13's Avatar

    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
    I've use 83MG in 4 days. Plenty of browsing, 3 email accounts, Blinkfeed etc... I did turn off every gallery sync I could find. Not sure if those download, but I don't need pics I don't take on my phone. Turned off Location Services in Google as well yesterday.
    How did you turn off the gallery sync's? I don't want those either.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Here is the reporting from att, most on wifi, some while driving.
    04/25 10:17 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 23 KB
    04/25 09:43 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 762 KB
    04/25 08:49 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 264 KB
    04/25 08:06 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 121 KB
    04/25 07:26 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 58 KB
    04/25 07:11 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 387 KB
    04/25 06:37 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 664 KB
    04/25 06:31 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 32 KB
    04/25 06:23 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 5 KB
  25. #25  

    Default Re: ATT HTC One Data Usage

    Have you looked on your phone to see what is sending the data?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ATT HTC One X 1.85 to 2.20 update - Lost Root
    By macstarvo in forum AT&T & Rogers One X Rooting, ROMs and Hacks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM
  2. att htc one x died
    By erwaso in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 02:30 PM
  3. WTS ATT HTC one X
    By HawaiianLaker in forum Sold / Archived Marketplace Threads
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
  4. ATT HTC One X Question...
    By cgardner in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
  5. ATT HTC One X or EVO 4G LTE???
    By Rafaelcab in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

B