how can I switch the default android browser to Chrome

otaru44a

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been an HTC fan (EVO4G, EVO4GLTE, now HTC One) but have never found other browsers to be that much more amazing than android. But with new HTC One, the task bar at the bottom is just annoying, and the mobile Chrome browser seems to treat tabs quick efficiently, so I want to make that my default. I love Google Now..so i don't want to break that in the process. Looked in apps, cleared defaults from the android browser - and Chrome didn't ask me to make it the default. Looked in Chrome's settings to change default and didn't find a box to check. Is it possible?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Go into your Settings/Apps and find your stock browser and there should be an option for Clear Defaults.

Once you do that the next time you open Chrome it should give you a pop up asking if you want to make that your default browser.

otaru44a

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes had seen an earlier post so gave that a try and had cleared cache and cleared defaults from both android and Chrome browsers. I open up Chrome, it didn't ask me anything, google now search still seems to default to android browser. tricky this one.....

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes had seen an earlier post so gave that a try and had cleared cache and cleared defaults from both android and Chrome browsers. I open up Chrome, it didn't ask me anything, google now search still seems to default to android browser. tricky this one.....

For that try going into the Google Search app (the blue one) in settings -> apps and clearing the defaults for it. If you really want to make sure you've cleared the stock browser as the default option, hit the menu button in settings -> and press "reset app preferences", which will reset the default "open app x" preference (i.e. press a link in Gmail -> link opens to stock browser) of every app you have.

After that any time an app needs to get to a browser, you'll get the popup asking which browser you want to use. Select "Always" and then select Chrome. Do this for every app that asks (you'll only have to do it once per app), and you'll jump to Chrome every time your phone needs to access the Internet.

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The one step you missed is after you click "clear defaults" you have to click on a URL. This will trigger the phone to ask you what program to use.
Just email yourself google.com and click on that after you do "clear defaults".

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The one step you missed is after you click "clear defaults" you have to click on a URL. This will trigger the phone to ask you what program to use.
Just email yourself google.com and click on that after you do "clear defaults".

Holding my head in shame.... I forgot that step... :)

Thanks for pointing it out.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can also just disable the stock internet browser and everything will default to chrome.

This is by far the best way. Go to settings, apps, all, find the stock "Internet" app and click on it, click disable. As long as Chrome is installed, everything will default to Chrome and you want even have to click in any pop ups. Then you can go to your app drawer and hide the Internet icon and you will never see, here, or think about the stock internet app again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois