Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By KineticMD
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 2 Post By fernandez21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how can I switch the default android browser to Chrome

I have been an HTC fan (EVO4G, EVO4GLTE, now HTC One) but have never found other browsers to be that much more amazing than android. But with new HTC One, the task bar at the bottom is just annoying, and the mobile Chrome browser seems to treat tabs quick efficiently, so I want to make that my default. I love Google Now..so i don't want to break that in the process. Looked in apps, cleared defaults from the android browser - and Chrome didn't ask me to make it the default. Looked in Chrome's settings to change default and didn't find a box to check. Is it possible?

Default Re: how can I switch the default android browser to Chrome

Go into your Settings/Apps and find your stock browser and there should be an option for Clear Defaults.

Once you do that the next time you open Chrome it should give you a pop up asking if you want to make that your default browser.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes had seen an earlier post so gave that a try and had cleared cache and cleared defaults from both android and Chrome browsers. I open up Chrome, it didn't ask me anything, google now search still seems to default to android browser. tricky this one.....
    Would-be Doc

ROM
    Friggin' Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by otaru44a View Post
    Yes had seen an earlier post so gave that a try and had cleared cache and cleared defaults from both android and Chrome browsers. I open up Chrome, it didn't ask me anything, google now search still seems to default to android browser. tricky this one.....
    For that try going into the Google Search app (the blue one) in settings -> apps and clearing the defaults for it. If you really want to make sure you've cleared the stock browser as the default option, hit the menu button in settings -> and press "reset app preferences", which will reset the default "open app x" preference (i.e. press a link in Gmail -> link opens to stock browser) of every app you have.

After that any time an app needs to get to a browser, you'll get the popup asking which browser you want to use. Select "Always" and then select Chrome. Do this for every app that asks (you'll only have to do it once per app), and you'll jump to Chrome every time your phone needs to access the Internet.
    roflwaffleton likes this.

Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts

The one step you missed is after you click "clear defaults" you have to click on a URL. This will trigger the phone to ask you what program to use.
    Just email yourself google.com and click on that after you do "clear defaults".
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    The one step you missed is after you click "clear defaults" you have to click on a URL. This will trigger the phone to ask you what program to use.
    Just email yourself google.com and click on that after you do "clear defaults".
    Holding my head in shame.... I forgot that step...

Thanks for pointing it out.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    howie likes this.

You can also just disable the stock internet browser and everything will default to chrome.
    KineticMD and jdevenberg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    You can also just disable the stock internet browser and everything will default to chrome.
    This is by far the best way. Go to settings, apps, all, find the stock "Internet" app and click on it, click disable. As long as Chrome is installed, everything will default to Chrome and you want even have to click in any pop ups. Then you can go to your app drawer and hide the Internet icon and you will never see, here, or think about the stock internet app again.