Removable battery a complete non issue if your considering a S4 Vs. One

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have three batteries for my s3. I have changed the battery once in the six months I have had them. It is nice to know you have a way of charging the phone though, especially as the s3 battery is so dismal. But, you can get a mophie battery case for the HTC one, and a battery pack. If you think recharging using the pack is a pain then the mophie is ideal. I always charge at work and in my car anyway so its not a problem for me very often.

Still, some people may prefer replaceable batteries. Regarding battery life, I believe HTC did not activate fast charge on the battery to extend the life of the battery?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

For people having problems with the charge time, use the Blackberry playbook charger or HP TouchPad chargers, they output at twice the rate of the one HTC packs in.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
And that's exactly how the us version should have been, except the battery would have been removable

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
No thanks. It kinda ruins the design asthetic and now that device isn't a unibody. Plus, how many people actually need dual SIMs outside of China? It's a big deal there because multiple family members use the same phone, do any of you do that? As for an SD card, Google is telling handset makers to do away with them, the code to support them isn't in stock Android anymore. There's a 64gb option available if you need big storage.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
No thanks. It kinda ruins the design asthetic and now that device isn't a unibody. Plus, how many people actually need dual SIMs outside of China? It's a big deal there because multiple family members use the same phone, do any of you do that? As for an SD card, Google is telling handset makers to do away with them, the code to support them isn't in stock Android anymore. There's a 64gb option available if you need big storage.

You're one of those people that use a phone as a fashion accessory?

I swear Android fans are turning more and more like apple fans and you all don't even know it.....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eruditass

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The biggest issue for me is battery capacity over the years. I tend to use my phone for a long time, and am currently using a 3 year old phone quite happily. I'll be upgrading soon and removable or at least somewhat accessible battery (Nexus 4, Atrix HD, etc.) is a must.

Over just a year, battery capacity can drop noticeably. Over 3 years, definitely. My 3 year old phone would be junk if I didn't replace its battery.

lithium1.jpg

For people that replace their phone much more frequently, this may not matter. But for long term users and used phone buyers who care about battery life, it does, unless you want to carry around a portable charger all the time.

Regardless, I hope the One does well as I enjoy HTC's phones.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I swear Android fans are turning more and more like apple fans and you all don't even know it.....

That's incredibly naive to say. There's a reason there is more than one style of case for your phone. There's a reason why there is more than one color of paint for your truck. There's a reason car companies make different versions of a 2-door coupe or 4-door sedan. Different people have different tastes. I certainly ain't carrying around an ugly phone or driving an ugly car or wearing ugly shirts just because they're functional. There's no reason you have to pick form over function, or vice versa, when it's pretty easy to have both in this day and age.

Last edited:

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

It's one thing to carry a phone as a fashion accessory and another to want a phone to look the way it was intended to look, weigh what it was intended to weigh, and fit in the pocket the way it was intended to fit in the pocket.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
It's fine. My evo lte battery hasn't had any problems after an entire year

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
Anyone who knows anything about batteries will tell you that the more voltage you apply to charge a battery, the shorter its life span will be.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery degrades over time regardless of charger type. I used the oem charger on the original evo and it lost a noticeable amount within 6 months. I think battery tech today can handle a lot more usage than it did 3 years ago.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Fashion? No, but I appreciate good design and prefer products that marry good form with required functionality.

Design isn't just about how someone looks. How something feels is just as important if not more so.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Fashion? No, but I appreciate good design and prefer products that marry good form with required functionality.

Design isn't just about how someone looks. How something feels is just as important if not more so.

That's why this is all so subjective as "required functionality" is different for everyone (ex. some require a user-replaceable battery, some do not). Same thing with design, aesthetics, and form (ex. some like how the HTC One looks and feels, others do not). Each person values things differently; some will put aesthetics over functionality while others the opposite. In the end, each person has to make up their own mind based on what's important to them. No one is right or wrong, but at the same time it's healthy to acknowledge and debate the pros and cons of it all. :)

Popsicle Pete

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
But every time I've ever had an issue with a cell phone, it's almost always been the charge port.

An external battery is nice, but if you plan on carrying it around with you in your pocket or bad with the external battery plugged into your phone, in my opinion, you're just asking for trouble. I'd rather replace the plastic battery cover than be without my phone hoping someone will successfully pry open my phone and solder a new charge port onto the circuit board. More likely I'd just end up with a new phone and a new contract - meaning two more years of no rights, only obligations, and end up paying a whole lot more over the course of the year.

Give me a new battery and a new instant full charge. I'll risk my plastic battery cover. Let those other chumps risk their charge ports.

(Oh, and there's privacy concerns.. which is something no built in battery user can EVER avoid as long as they keep their cell phone in their possession.)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I seem to have a sign my life away to upgrade compulsion so I can't really argue that point. :-D

Can you explain that last part? I don't understand what the type of battery you have has to do with privacy. Are you talking about the inability to go "off the grid" by yanking the battery out?

czrman99

May 2, 2013
Visit site
To each his own..... I happen to be one of the lucky people who always has a charger available, car or wall. At work or home.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I tend to have charging available in my heavy use places (home/work/car), so usually don't find battery is an issue for me even though I stream lots of music and use my phone fairly regularly. If there were to come a time when I knew I'd be away from power for long enough for it to be an issue then a case/wbattery would work just fine and be just as, if not more, convenient than an actual battery swap, so removable batteries mean very little to me as a feature. I also tend to keep a phone for around 1 year before upgrading so battery degradation is also not too much of a concern for me.

Yes I'm one of those who generally hate using cases and love using my phone "naked", but I could certainly suck it up and use a case w/power on those occasions when it becomes important, and then go back to my naked, naked ways. :-D

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
But every time I've ever had an issue with a cell phone, it's almost always been the charge port.

An external battery is nice, but if you plan on carrying it around with you in your pocket or bad with the external battery plugged into your phone, in my opinion, you're just asking for trouble. I'd rather replace the plastic battery cover than be without my phone hoping someone will successfully pry open my phone and solder a new charge port onto the circuit board. More likely I'd just end up with a new phone and a new contract - meaning two more years of no rights, only obligations, and end up paying a whole lot more over the course of the year.

Give me a new battery and a new instant full charge. I'll risk my plastic battery cover. Let those other chumps risk their charge ports.

(Oh, and there's privacy concerns.. which is something no built in battery user can EVER avoid as long as they keep their cell phone in their possession.)

Excellent points on the charging port. Besides the sealed/embedded battery, it's another single point of failure. Whereas with a user replaceable battery, you have the option of not needing to use the charging port; instead use an external charger and just swap out batteries as needed. Worse case, you may need a new battery door if you're not careful and damage it. But that's easy to replace at minimal cost and easy to avoid in the first place by being careful when taking it off and on the phone. :)

I seem to have a sign my life away to upgrade compulsion so I can't really argue that point. :-D

Can you explain that last part? I don't understand what the type of battery you have has to do with privacy. Are you talking about the inability to go "off the grid" by yanking the battery out?

It must be in reference to the phone's microphone that can reportedly still be active and used to listen even if the phone is powered off. The only way to ensure it's not active would be to remove the power source, aka the battery.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I posted in another thread my thoughts about the S4 I played with yesterday, but I just wanted to add this; when the salesperson took off the back of the S4 to show me the battery, it seemed that when she pulled the back off and put it back on, the connecting pieces were starting to wear already and eventually will not hold the back on tight. Mind you it was a fairly new phone. Now I know its a demo.

Not only that, if I have a case on it I have to take the case off then pull the back off. In my infinite paranoia about keeping my phone pristine, I would always go for the external battery every time. My Anker Slim is almost as small as an extra battery and holds 2x's the charges. Bottom line, the "removable battery" argument against the One is a waste of thought, in my opinion of course.

If your considering both, you owe it to yourself to go and play with the S4, then decide. It was a great phone and if I didn't get the One, I would of certainly got the S4. But decide based on features and UI.

I have a gnex that I don't use anymore but I noticed that one or two of the plastic tabs on the backplate aren't very firm anymore, and it's now pretty hard to get the backplate to snap on firmly. So if you're constantly removing the backplate I could see how this might become a problem. Of corse, you can always buy a new one for pretty cheap.

Posted via my HTC One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac