HTC one music through vehicle's usb?

stonerb

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had an iPhone 4 for almost 3 years now, and I have always been able to play the music from my iPhone through my stock chevy silverado usb outlet, but I just purchased the HTC one and it says it can't connect to the device. Is there any way to make it work through usb? I am not interested in using 3.5mm cable, because I want to be able to use the steering wheel and radio controls to control my music. The phone is awesome, and I imagine there has to be a way to make this work.

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I've tried with my S3 in my '12 civic.. only works with flash drives and iDevices.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Entrical

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Can't the HTC car dock do this? With my previous phone (galaxy s2 i777) I was using an iBolt car dock to do this, but there was also an aux cable that splits into the aux in port on my radio (only on radio connection side, everything is sent via USB from the phone). Haven't tried with my One yet.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

raoden

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing the same issue with my Infiniti JX as well. I found out from some infiniti forums that Android is not supported on USB. So I am resorting to using Bluetooth Streaming. The quality is not as good as USB and can't walk through albums, playlist, etc. But atleast I am able to play the songs now. Very unfortunate that a lot of stuff like Headphones, Car USB docs, etc. are designed for iPhone only.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
There's a few things going on...one issue is that newer Android phones use MTP for USB file access rather than native file access, so that can prevent it from being seen as a USB drive. You would also need app support to be able to use it similar to an iPhone with steering wheel controls over USB (not sure if this exists or not?).

Does your car stereo support Bluetooth? Because that does work quite well for me.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Its been a while since I've tried so not sure it will works or not but when you plug in your device you have to switch the USB setting to removable storage mode this way the radio just thinks its a USB stick. It should only work for music on ur phone not Pandora or anything streaming.

DQSooner

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I think in order to make the radio think it is a USB stick the phone has to have an external memory card...many years ago, I briefly had a Samsung Captivate and it worked as long as the music was on my external memory card...if it was on the internal one, no luck. Since the One only has an internal card, I know of no way to let the radio access the files. Hope I am wrong though because that is one feature I miss too.

David

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Its been a while since I've tried so not sure it will works or not but when you plug in your device you have to switch the USB setting to removable storage mode this way the radio just thinks its a USB stick. It should only work for music on ur phone not Pandora or anything streaming.

That's just it, since ICS, Android devices don't have an option to use "removable storage" mode via USB anymore. I believe this was to prevent having to mount and unmount the SDcard storage to use over the USB connection, and eliminate the need to separate app and storage partitions.

You could still try to use it in this manner, just make sure the "MTP" option is enabled (not sure where this would be on an HTC device), and it *may* be able to read it.
EDIT: And by "use it", I mean strictly as a USB device for playing mp3 files stored on your phone; as doc31 mentioned, you wouldn't be able to stream Pandora or anything like that.

I think in order to make the radio think it is a USB stick the phone has to have an external memory card...many years ago, I briefly had a Samsung Captivate and it worked as long as the music was on my external memory card...if it was on the internal one, no luck. Since the One only has an internal card, I know of no way to let the radio access the files. Hope I am wrong though because that is one feature I miss too.

David

In MTP mode, you'll get a directory for both the internal storage and the external SD card (if present), so that actually should not matter in this case. Old Android phones didn't have an internal storage mount over USB (they primarily just acted as a USB card reader), which is why on older phones the files would have to be on an SD card, but that shouldn't matter...it really is probably more a matter of whether or not the car's stereo can read the phone in MTP mode vs "removable storage" mode...some can, some cannot.

Here's a pretty decent write-up that explains the difference between traditional mass storage mode and MTP, and more importantly why Android is now using it...
Ice Cream Sandwich explained: MTP - what is it, why use it, and how to set it up | Android Central

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac