Worth leaving VZW to get an HTC One?

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Tmobile has great signal in south jersey but I cant switch to tmobile as I travel a lot, and they are not as nationwide as Att.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
imo, its totally worth getting a HTC one no matter what you have to leave.

I would disagree. I would have to pay $3500 more over the two year payment plan for tmo over Verizon. I can't say that any phone is worth that much money. Of course everyone has their priorities and different plans , so if might be worth it to some people, just not me.

Imo, the dna is close enough for me, the one is better no doubt, but not $3500 better.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
If other carriers have decent service in your area, I would consider switching.

For me I can only use Verizon or Sprint at work, gsm networks get no service at all. I switched to T-Mobile last year and definitely regretted it. I'm back on Verizon now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Ive been a VZW customer since they were Bell Atlantic in the 90's.
Love their service but this whole "last to market with the latest phones" thing is starting to get old, and frustrating.

I know they will eventually get it but would you consider another carrier (in NYC) in order to not have to deal with this furstration any longer.

Interested in hearing other's thoughts.

Why be frustrated? You are with the best service provider in the country. Verizon gets plenty exclusive devices themselves. Look at the droid brand. Although the One is not exclusive.

I would never change service providers over a device not being available. From a service perspective T-Mobile and Sprint are major downgrades and I mean no disrespect towards them. Att although not better than Verizon is very close.... Remember what they say about the grass being greener....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If this was a couple of months ago, I would have probably suggested you go grab a Droid DNA.

I've had mine for over 5 months now, and love it. If you can get over the storage limitations, it's really a pretty sweet phone that has a couple slight advantages (Qi charging/5" screen) over the One.

At this point though, you may as well hold out for the One if that's the phone you have your heart set on.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to Sprint, but not just for the One (although I love it!). I switched so I could keep unlimited data without paying full price for a phone and for the One :)
I would agree that coverage is a big factor though. I had Sprint a few years ago and the coverage in Atlanta was terrible. Now it's awesome, I get 10Mbps+ LTE almost everywhere I go and the 3G has improved as well when that's all that's available. If Sprint hasn't upgraded your area yet it may be an iffy decision though.

I also got my One for free by switching to Sprint. $199 - $100 for porting my number to Sprint - $100 for selling my old phone to HTC as part of their promotion.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive been a VZW customer since they were Bell Atlantic in the 90's.
Love their service but this whole "last to market with the latest phones" thing is starting to get old, and frustrating.

I know they will eventually get it but would you consider another carrier (in NYC) in order to not have to deal with this furstration any longer.

Interested in hearing other's thoughts.

I don't know if I would leave a carrier for a phone. If you are upset with the service or data caps or prices, and the phone is the tipping point, then I get it, but to leave VZW just because they don't have the EXACT phone you want is a little extreme. I personally have Sprint and love the coverage and the service I get with them. Even though they introduced WebOS to the world, they stopped carrying them after the Pre and Pixi. I didn't change because no one else had unlimited data and 4G in my area (Granted, they soon switched to LTE, so that became a null point). Basically, the phone is one aspect of the whole contract, so make sure everything else works for you with a carrier and then get the phone to match, imho obviously.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't leave Verizon for the One simply because there are strong indications that Verizon will be getting a version of this..sooner rather then later. The HTC rep on Reddit has been very coy and there have been all sorts of rumors on other tech sites as well. So wait a few months. Things could look very different.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't leave Verizon for the One simply because there are strong indications that Verizon will be getting a version of this..sooner rather then later. The HTC rep on Reddit has been very coy and there have been all sorts of rumors on other tech sites as well. So wait a few months. Things could look very different.

Wait a few months? Most people on Verizon are tired of getting updates extremely late and phones that are covered with branding. By the time Verizon gets the phone a new one will be launching.. I agree Verizon has great service but a main reason I left is because of this very thing.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Wait a few months? Most people on Verizon are tired of getting updates extremely late and phones that are covered with branding. By the time Verizon gets the phone a new one will be launching.. I agree Verizon has great service but a main reason I left is because of this very thing.

I do agree with this somewhat. Mobile tech changes at such a rapid pace that a few months is a long time. The One will still be a great phone in a few months, but it will no longer be leading edge. I'm one of those that keeps my phone for 2 years unless there is a major problem so I like to have the latest and greatest at the time I upgrade, not something that's already outdated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I switched from Verizon to Sprint, but not just for the One (although I love it!). I switched so I could keep unlimited data without paying full price for a phone and for the One :)
I would agree that coverage is a big factor though. I had Sprint a few years ago and the coverage in Atlanta was terrible. Now it's awesome, I get 10Mbps+ LTE almost everywhere I go and the 3G has improved as well when that's all that's available. If Sprint hasn't upgraded your area yet it may be an iffy decision though.

I also got my One for free by switching to Sprint. $199 - $100 for porting my number to Sprint - $100 for selling my old phone to HTC as part of their promotion.

You can keep unlimited data on Verizon if you transfer the upgrade to a non unlimited line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I do agree with this somewhat. Mobile tech changes at such a rapid pace that a few months is a long time. The One will still be a great phone in a few months, but it will no longer be leading edge. I'm one of those that keeps my phone for 2 years unless there is a major problem so I like to have the latest and greatest at the time I upgrade, not something that's already outdated.

Agreed.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
One of the main reasons I left was because I am the type that changes phones frequently. The new plans tmobile has were just a better fit for me with that in mind, plus its gsm so I can get an unlocked phone if I want to in the future.

JRLasVegas

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It depends on your area. Pc magazine did a review in about 100 major cities for which carrier is the best. The last review they did was in November 2012. Try googling pc magazine best reception. I think that's what I googled.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

You guys are just wrong on that one. It's not like there are new flagship phones coming out every month. There just isn't. You guys are overstating things. Yes tech moves somewhat fast, but not THAT fast. If you can wait a year or two for a contract to run out, you can certainly wait a couple of months.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
You guys are just wrong on that one. It's not like there are new flagship phones coming out every month. There just isn't. You guys are overstating things. Yes tech moves somewhat fast, but not THAT fast. If you can wait a year or two for a contract to run out, you can certainly wait a couple of months.

When you're talking about two year contracts, no, they're not wrong at all.

TourATL

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It depends. My last two upgrades my phones were somewhere near barely functional at the time so waiting wasn't really an option. And I ended up signing contracts for phones that weren't that great because they were VZW's top of the line phones at the time. At least for this last go round I would have been better off finding a carrier with a phone I wanted.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would say do research before splitting with Verizon. Verizon may have exclusive devices, but that doesn't mean those devices are good. I am not saying they are bad, either. I have been looking at phones for my girlfriend. She has a year to go on her basic phone, but wants to upgrade to a smartphone. I keep looking at Verizon wondering why they have almost no flagship phones. I understand having exclusive devices, but just having those and hardly anything else?

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It depends. My last two upgrades my phones were somewhere near barely functional at the time so waiting wasn't really an option. And I ended up signing contracts for phones that weren't that great because they were VZW's top of the line phones at the time. At least for this last go round I would have been better off finding a carrier with a phone I wanted.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Yeah I signed a 2-year contract with Verizon for the "flagship" Thunderbolt. . .what a mistake that was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa