Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Brownhornet34
  • 1 Post By aggie
  • 1 Post By scorpiodsu
  • 3 Post By Topgonzo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone using anything to protect the back? (no case)

I don't want to use a plastic/any case to protect the phone because I like the Aluminum feel of the One, and I don't want to lose that.

The only concern I have is scratching the back when placing it on tables and other things. Is anybody else concerned about this? What are you doing to avoid the scratching?

I was thinking of maybe getting a screen guard, cutting off a major portion of it, and then only sticking a small piece where the phone touches the floor/table.

edit: I definitely won't be using a screen guard for the front. I think the screen looks better without them.
    Last edited by EverNap; 04-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Default Re: Anyone using anything to protect the back? (no case)

I feel your sentiment, I recently purchased a otter box defender. I sure as hell didn't want to put that ugly thing on my new One but I'm a Fire Investigator and would prefer to protect my tech.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Gator352 likes this.

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Only time it's out of my belt clip is at home and I put on a rubber drink coaster....It's aluminum so I think as long as you don't put it on a metal surface, it shouldn't scratch, my living room tables are slate so that's why I use the coaster....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts

I'm using the Invisible Shield Dry. Bought it at the att store. Can't even tell it's there when looking at the phone and it gives the back a little bit of a grippy feel. I only used the back part. Not crapping up my screen with the Invisible Shield front protection. It lasted a day and I had to pull it off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    EverNap likes this.

Xtreme Guard. I have it on front and back.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    EverNap likes this.

I would look into the Zagg skins. They are a great product that will protect against scratches, without putting a case on your phone.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Will any of the protectors you guys mentioned be very visible, if I just stuck it for the middle portion of the One's back, like only where it touches the table?
    Thanks

Have you seen the scratch tests in this forum where a key is used to scratch the hell out of the back and then wiped off? You can't scratch it by laying out down

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by EverNap View Post
    Will any of the protectors you guys mentioned be very visible, if I just stuck it for the middle portion of the One's back, like only where it touches the table?
    Thanks
    My coworkers didn't know I had a protector on it until I told them.... this is after they held it. You'll know it's there obviously, but it's hard to really notice as it doesn't stick out. Later on, I'll post a picture.

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    Have you seen the scratch tests in this forum where a key is used to scratch the hell out of the back and then wiped off? You can't scratch it by laying out down

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    If you find that video please post. I haven't seen that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

HTC One aluminum body scratch test (UPDATED WITH BLACK VERSION) Enjoy. I as well used a surgical steel pair of scissors to try to scratch the One. It took enough effort to ease my worries about setting the phone down.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

I had ghost armor put on my phone. Still looks great and is on the front and back. Does make the capacative buttons harder to find though.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Ohhh that's really brave considering the back is aluminum. I'd be scared about scratching it as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Ohhh that's really brave considering the back is aluminum. I'd be scared about scratching it as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Why is everyone afraid of this aluminum? Do people think an alloy was not used? Do car/plane/you name it companies use this material to lighten/stiffen/strengthen their products but completely ignore the supposed fragility? I'm honestly curious, not trolling.

Now if someone can say "HTC used Aluminum XXXX which is very soft and used in only x applications!!11" then people might have something to worry about. Until that time I hope the materials hate dies down because I can just as easily say "X phone is made from plastic. They use that to make soda bottles. Bad phone!" but it doesn't make the statement true.
    Last edited by mrbootcrm; 04-29-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts

Thanks
    If I didn't already know I had the Invisible Shield on the back of mine it would not really be noticeable. I'll post a pic of it when I get home from work (don't have another device here now to take a pic of the phone with)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mrbootcrm View Post
    Why is everyone afraid of this aluminum? Do people think an alloy was not used? Do car/plane/you name it companies use this material to lighten/stiffen/strengthen their products but completely ignore the supposed fragility? I'm honestly curious, not trolling.
    I'm not sure, unless your going to drag it across brick or stone, I'm not sure how placing it down and picking it up off a plastic or wood table is going to scratch aluminum....
    I don't get it either

As promised, here are a couple pictures with the xtreme guard

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone using anything to protect the back? (no case)-uploadfromtaptalk1367273512605.jpg   Anyone using anything to protect the back? (no case)-uploadfromtaptalk1367273526446.jpg   Anyone using anything to protect the back? (no case)-uploadfromtaptalk1367273543662.jpg  

Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Frankly I am more concerned about the chamfered edges. I also have an iPhone 5 and have been rocking it without a case since launch and it's looking pretty beat up on the edges

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts

Pics of the Invisible Shield Dry on the back as promised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-EK-GC100 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

one question about putting one of these on the back of the phone and its, don't you lose the feeling of the back by putting one on?

Quote Originally Posted by mosi76 View Post
    Frankly I am more concerned about the chamfered edges. I also have an iPhone 5 and have been rocking it without a case since launch and it's looking pretty beat up on the edges
    Yeah I am more concerned about that as well. Looks like a case is the only thing that can be done unless there's a bumper.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by aggie99 View Post
    Pics of the Invisible Shield Dry on the back as promised.
    Wow... That looks like there's absolutely nothing on the back Is that a Matte finish?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    As promised, here are a couple pictures with the xtreme guard
    Thanks. It looks great! I'll check with my dad, but he seems to be fine with using no protection for his phone right now. If he decides otherwise, then I'll order the Xtreme Guard or Invisible Shield

Quote Originally Posted by Mexico619 View Post
    one question about putting one of these on the back of the phone and its, don't you lose the feeling of the back by putting one on?
    That's one tradeoff you're gonna have to make. If you don't want to lose the feeling of metal, you're gonna have to put a metal case on it again I don't think we touch the back part of the phone much anyway. It's mostly the chamfered edges, and the front of the phone that we really touch most of the time.

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts

Wow... That looks like there's absolutely nothing on the back Is that a Matte finish?
    It is matte like, kinda has a grippy feel. Definitely not glossy.
    Thanked by: