Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    I have the HTC One that is still within the 14-day return window, but my service with them is absolutely horrible.. I constantly drop from 2 bars to none, and I"m always on 2G (even though it says 2G, the data still barely loads webpages in under 5 minutes). I was thinking of just buying the phone outright and canceling my plan with T-Mobile, then go over to Straight Talk. Since Straight Talk has ATT sim cards and only costs $45/month, I'd get much better service on there... if this phone would work on there? How would I go about doing this?

    Also, Wal-Mart doesn't sell the ATT straight talk sims anymore, so I was looking on Amazon. Is this all I need to get started? I'd still want to port my number from T-Mobile again is that's possible too
    Amazon.com: Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card: Cell Phones & Accessories
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    In order to use a t-mobile phone on straight talk with AT&T SIM, you'll need to first get it unlocked. This can be done by t-mobile or a 3rd party service. Also note, that straight talk looks to be trying to push people to t-mobile SIMs due to the data throttling users get when using AT&T sims which is why those SIMs are scarce. AT&T has been cracking down on MNVOs and their data use so keep this in mind. So yes you can use it after you get the SIM unlocked but again, keep in mind of the potential issues. Is there any reason why you couldn't just pay 199 and start service with AT&T? I do realize the differences in the cost of service, but that's almost offset by paying full price for the phone. Just my thoughts.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  3. #3  
    gyroslice's Avatar

    Posts
    269 Posts
    Global Posts
    346 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    if you still want to use a prepaid carrier Net 10 wireless and red pocket offer the ability to use AT&T towers. Android and Me did a run down of some the best prepard carriers.

    Best no-contract wireless plans for unlocked Android devices | Android and Me
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by gyroslice View Post
    if you still want to use a prepaid carrier Net 10 wireless and red pocket offer the ability to use AT&T towers. Android and Me did a run down of some the best prepard carriers.

    Best no-contract wireless plans for unlocked Android devices | Android and Me
    Yeah but Net10 has a hard cap at 1.5 GB for AT&T SIM. It's one thing to throttle but to cut data off altogether is too much IMO. Of course it's good for users that don't go over but I wouldn't want a hard cap with data, just slow me down LOL.

    https://net10data.com/
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    After my corporate discount on ATT.. with 450 minutes, unlimited messaging, and 3GB of data it'd be $72/month before taxes/fees. About how much more would I be paying with all of those random fees I always see on wireless bills? I never truly know what to expect for those.

    I'm not too worried about data, if I went with Straight Talk Att, I just don't want them to screw me over and cut off my line randomly since I'd have an ATT sim.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain11 View Post
    After my corporate discount on ATT.. with 450 minutes, unlimited messaging, and 3GB of data it'd be $72/month before taxes/fees. About how much more would I be paying with all of those random fees I always see on wireless bills? I never truly know what to expect for those.

    I'm not too worried about data, if I went with Straight Talk Att, I just don't want them to screw me over and cut off my line randomly since I'd have an ATT sim.
    The additional is usually around $5. Over the course of time, it doesn't make sense to buy off contract IF you are going to keep the device for a while. If keeping the device for a year or less the benefit is almost non existent.

    Scenario 1: Straight talk unlimited everything and phone at full price vs AT&T for one year

    STT

    45 x 12 = 540
    Phone = 600 (just a medium because I don't know what t-mobile full price is as well as taxes in your area)
    Total = 1140

    AT&T service

    80 x 12 = 960
    Phone = 200
    Total 1160

    Scenario 2 : Same as above but for 2 years

    STT
    45 x 24 = 1080
    Phone = 600
    Total 1680

    ATT
    80 x 24 = 1920
    Phone = 200
    Total = 2120

    As as you see, if you replace or change phones within a year then you really see no real benefit. But if you are planning to keep your device for a long time, then you will definitely see savings. The reason I bring this up is because even though we sign 2 year contracts, people still upgrade to devices more often and just wanted to point that out that doing this on a prepaid plan almost defeats the purpose of the cost savings. I change devices too much to benefit from a prepaid service which is why I jumped back to AT&T LOL. Of course these numbers are not exact and just estimate but I would say they are close. I don't think you'll have any problem with STT AT&T sim, just be aware that things may change and maybe in the future they will try to get everyone to move over the t-mobile. Good luck with your choice.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Thank you very much, maybe I'll just jump ship to AT&T then.

    Do you have any advice on how to go about changing carriers again and keeping my number still? I just recently switched to T-Mobile on the 22nd and took my number there, I didn't buy my phone outright yet though, so just the $99 down got paid. What's the best way to go about changing to AT&T without somehow getting stuck with any sort of fees (besides the restocking fee) and still keep my number? Do I call T-Mobile and cancel first or what? (Sorry I'm just confused, since last time I ported I already owned the phone and it was montly)
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    I'm using my HTC One on Straight Talk Att. You can buy a sim on eBay for like $50. The reason why ( I'm speculating) Straight Talk doesn't sell the Att sim anymore is because of the loophole in the contract. Supposedly you can buy a subsidized phone and sign a contract with Att and then port out of Att to Straight Talk Att and get no early termination fee. Not only is Straight Talk less money but a lot of times you can get the $45 pin on eBay for like $39 no tax. Now if you leave Straight Talk before the 2 years is up you will be hit with the etf. The downside is no streaming of radio,movies etc.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain11 View Post
    Thank you very much, maybe I'll just jump ship to AT&T then.

    Do you have any advice on how to go about changing carriers again and keeping my number still? I just recently switched to T-Mobile on the 22nd and took my number there, I didn't buy my phone outright yet though, so just the $99 down got paid. What's the best way to go about changing to AT&T without somehow getting stuck with any sort of fees (besides the restocking fee) and still keep my number? Do I call T-Mobile and cancel first or what? (Sorry I'm just confused, since last time I ported I already owned the phone and it was montly)
    Just port your number over go Att first so you can keep your number. You can do it online but I would suggest going into a store so you can get the phone same day rather than waiting for delivery. This will automatically cancel your tmobile service. Return the device and you're done.

    Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Ok thanks. If after I sign up for AT&T and tell them to port my number, should I contact T-Mobile to tell them or should I just use this return slip they included in my phone package to send it back? I don't know how the refund for my money I paid for the phone will work
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtain11 View Post
    Ok thanks. If after I sign up for AT&T and tell them to port my number, should I contact T-Mobile to tell them or should I just use this return slip they included in my phone package to send it back? I don't know how the refund for my money I paid for the phone will work
    You don't really need to contact T-Mobile at all. Fill out the form and use the label that came with your phone to send it back. They will process your refund a couple days after they receive it. When Att initiates your port it cancels so nothing for you to call tmobile for. You should be good to go.


    Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini


    The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsoNJ View Post
    I'm using my HTC One on Straight Talk Att. You can buy a sim on eBay for like $50. The reason why ( I'm speculating) Straight Talk doesn't sell the Att sim anymore is because of the loophole in the contract. Supposedly you can buy a subsidized phone and sign a contract with Att and then port out of Att to Straight Talk Att and get no early termination fee. Not only is Straight Talk less money but a lot of times you can get the $45 pin on eBay for like $39 no tax. Now if you leave Straight Talk before the 2 years is up you will be hit with the etf. The downside is no streaming of radio,movies etc.
    I'm paying about $60 for myself b/c I'm on a family plan with corp discount. I have about 3GB of data. If I go to a straight talk ATT sim, I could get unlim voice, txt, data up to 1.5gb, but still be on the ATT network and use my att HTC One? Will the data be HSPA+ or LTE?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    The data is also "supposed" to be unlimited but we know if you go over ???? you get throttled. As far as LTE, I live at the Jersey shore and we don't have it yet. I get about 6-7 down 2 up
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    The additional is usually around $5. Over the course of time, it doesn't make sense to buy off contract IF you are going to keep the device for a while. If keeping the device for a year or less the benefit is almost non existent.

    Scenario 1: Straight talk unlimited everything and phone at full price vs AT&T for one year

    STT

    45 x 12 = 540
    Phone = 600 (just a medium because I don't know what t-mobile full price is as well as taxes in your area)
    Total = 1140

    AT&T service

    80 x 12 = 960
    Phone = 200
    Total 1160

    Scenario 2 : Same as above but for 2 years

    STT
    45 x 24 = 1080
    Phone = 600
    Total 1680

    ATT
    80 x 24 = 1920
    Phone = 200
    Total = 2120

    As as you see, if you replace or change phones within a year then you really see no real benefit. But if you are planning to keep your device for a long time, then you will definitely see savings. The reason I bring this up is because even though we sign 2 year contracts, people still upgrade to devices more often and just wanted to point that out that doing this on a prepaid plan almost defeats the purpose of the cost savings. I change devices too much to benefit from a prepaid service which is why I jumped back to AT&T LOL. Of course these numbers are not exact and just estimate but I would say they are close. I don't think you'll have any problem with STT AT&T sim, just be aware that things may change and maybe in the future they will try to get everyone to move over the t-mobile. Good luck with your choice.
    What's the upgrade timeline for AT&T? Your figures only work if you're eligible to upgrade to another phone with a subsidy after your first year (and most carriers will not allow you to upgrade until you're 20+ months into your 2-year contract). Alternatively, you can sign a 1-year contract and the One at $450. Otherwise, for the your second year, you will have to pay full price for your new phone in addition to the higher monthly fee compared to prepaid.

    Revised figures for 2 years, if you get a new phone after 1 year:

    AT&T options:
    1. 2-year contract, pay ETF after 1 year, then re-sign: 450 (phone 1) + 80 x 24 (service for 2 years) + 450 (phone 2) = $2525
    2. 2-year contract: 200 (phone 1) + 80 x 24 (service for 2 years) + 600 (phone 2) = $2720
    3. 1-year contract: 450 (phone 1) + 80 x 24 (service for 2 years) + 450 (phone 2) = $2820


    Straight Talk
    1. prepaid: 200 (phone 1) + 80 x 24 (service for 2 years) + 205 (ETF) 600 (phone 2) = $2280


    Even if you upgrade after 1 year, you're saving a few hundred dollars by going prepaid over the course of the 2 years.
    Last edited by yuiness; 05-08-2013 at 07:02 PM.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    Also AT&T usually lets users upgrade after 18 months, so the calculation is skewed a little more in their favor as well. I have been with them since 2002 and have only experienced good quality and service. There is one area in Dallas where the service drops but that's about the worst I have ever experienced with them.
    And no, I don't work for them. Just my personal experience.
    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Putting T-Mobile HTC One onto Straight Talk

    @ScottsoNJ , hey id like to know what exactly did you do to get your htc one on straight talk, where did you buy it and did you have it unlocked where you bought it and if you have liked the service st has provided on your htc one...is it worth me getting one and putting it with st or should i go with another smarthone ,i would REALLY appreciate some feed back and thank you!

Similar Threads

  1. HTC Vivid with straight talk problems
    By Donell Hayes in forum HTC Vivid
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 08:11 AM
  2. T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything
    By Phil Nickinson in forum HTC One S
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM
  3. T-Mobile HTC One S & CruzerLite Case
    By Melon Bread in forum Marketplace Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM
  4. I've got the Virgin Mobile HTC One V. Any questions?
    By Octahedron in forum HTC One V
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
  5. Virgin Mobile HTC One V or the OP. Elite?
    By webbie2 in forum HTC One V
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions