Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HunterKen7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Default Closing apps - a stupid question?

Hi all, as an Android newbie I'm not sure if this is an Android question or an HTC One question - how do I know if an app is closed?!

My assumption was that swiping the app away in the task switcher would close it, but certain apps seem to remain open even when doing this, and need to be closed in app (an option which doesn't exist in all apps).

So in short, I'm often not certain if an app is really closed, or if it's running in the background :S

All help welcomed!

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Default Re: Closing apps - a stupid question?

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    Go to "apps" menu in your "settings" - you can see all the running apps there... That's the only way to be sure :-/ You can also click on individual app there and then click on "stop" button if you want to make sure it won't be running.
    Thanks for this, but does that definitely work? When I look at the list there of doesn't show Android Central Forums as a running app, weird

Don't worry about closing apps. If it isnt open in your face or showing persistent icon on the notification window, its not running. When you use the home button to back out of an app, it goes into this frozen state and does not actively use resources. The OS is excellent and managing these resources and will free memory, etc when it needs space for other apps.
    Thanked by 2:
    3Deenaosuke 
    naosuke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dee View Post
    Thanks for this, but does that definitely work? When I look at the list there of doesn't show Android Central Forums as a running app, weird

if you are rooted you can use an app called greenify, which will hibernate app when closed
    Thanked by:
    3Dee 

Tap the home key twice. Then touch and swipe up on the open apps to close.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKen7 View Post
    Don't worry about closing apps. If it isnt open in your face or showing persistent icon on the notification window, its not running. When you use the home button to back out of an app, it goes into this frozen state and does not actively use resources. The OS is excellent and managing these resources and will free memory, etc when it needs space for other apps.
    This is mostly right. There are rogue apps that will drain battery without being obvious but once you've gotten all your apps at good settings you shouldn't have to worry about it. Closing apps that you use frequently will actually increase battery usage due to the extra cpu and RAM usage needed to reload an app. So in other words, unless a certain app is acting up and using too much battery you shouldn't need to "close" apps other than just pressing home out of them or using the multi-task view to switch apps.

Hi everyone,

What about mobile banking applications? How do I close the app to be sure of the security of my information?

Do I need to close it manually?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by marvincwl View Post
    Hi everyone,

What about mobile banking applications? How do I close the app to be sure of the security of my information?

Do I need to close it manually?

Thank you.
    Mine has a sign out option, and a timeout if not used.

Sent from my Tranquil HTC One via tapa4
    Phone: HTC One
    ROM: B.S.C. Tranquil One RLS 3
    Recovery: TWRP 2.5.0

Tablet: Transformer Prime
    ROM: Hairy Bean 2.1.1
    Recovery: TWRP

Hi everyone, what about Radio apps? Or podcast apps? I just took a call on my HTC One and the radio came on midway through the call! I want to be able to shut things down as I please, not when the phone dictates.... I just switched to android from iphone because I was tired of the iphone thinking it knew better than me... These new fangled smart phones seem to forget their role in the Master / Slave relationship....