Going Back to iPhone 5

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Going Back to Iphone 5

Decided to give Android another try with the HTC One, and I have to admit, whenever I run across an issue or a bug with it my instinct is to run back to the safe, familiar iPhone. I have to say that despite it being quite new out of the box, the HTC does lag noticeably more than my two-year-old iPhone 4S ever did, even when flipping through pages in the Kindle app etc. The iOS atmosphere may be a bit boring but its seamlessness is just unbeatable. And dear god I miss iMessage and simple things like being able to take a screenshot of a Snapchat without frustratingly spending 2 hours finding a method on the One (to no avail, I might add).

I really love this phone though and I'm going to try to stick it out, but coming from 3 years of constant 24/7 iPhone use, you really notice the difference in the little things. Anyone with tips on how to ease the transition, or how to make the One run as smoothly as possible (I'm new to Android so don't know many tricks/tips) would be much appreciated. I've definitely looked at guides and stuff you find on Google but those are mostly lists of "popular apps", many repetitive and unnecessary, and not detailed in user experience.

Wow, so you are having lag on the HTC One? Lots of people are saying they see none at all, so I'm curious if there is something weird with your device.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

Wow, so you are having lag on the HTC One? Lots of people are saying they see none at all, so I'm curious if there is something weird with your device.
I doubt it's lag. I think he is habving this placebo effect where the media says Android lags and such. I have been lucky and have had friends at Vodafone(my largest carrier) give me an HTC One for 2 days and I saw NO lag.

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

OK, on day 3 with my HTC One but I am far from being convinced to keep it. I just haven't found anything yet I can do with it that I couldn't do with my iPhone. I understand people love their widgets, but other than the power toggles widget, I haven't found any others that are that helpful. As far as customizing your home screen, you put a bunch of apps on your home screens just like you do in iOS, where's the big difference?

I find the hardware less user friendly. The power button is harder to turn on and off than the iPhone, not to mention the lack of a home button for turning on the phone. If I'm not careful how I hold the phone, I hit the volume switches. That was never a problem with the iPhone. I can look at the iPhone without turning it on to see whether the ringer is on or not. My big reason for switching was the larger screen, however the text and icons on the notification bar are so small they're no better than the iPhone for my old eyes.

I have been unable to find good replacement for some of my iPhone apps:
  • Foreflight. Not available at all on android.
  • Aeroweather. Android version crashes and alternate apps aren't as functional.
  • Topo maps. I haven't found an android app I like as much.
  • Cyclemeter. Not available for android and alternatives aren't as full featured.
  • Momonote. Not available for android and I don't really want an alternative since I sync it with my iPad.
  • Ultralingua.
  • The Athlete's Diary. No android version.

I have another week and a half before I have to decide whether or not to keep the phone. Please help me see what I can do with it that I can't with the iPhone.

p.s. The following features are not selling points to me:
  • The speakers. I use earbuds or a bluetooth speaker when listening to music. So the speakers while nice aren't really something I'll be taking advantage of.
  • NFC. Unless I'm missing something, the biggest thing people are doing with the NFC is using tags to turn certain radios on and off. With the iPhone I just left everything on and never had to worry about the battery.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

OK, on day 3 with my HTC One but I am far from being convinced to keep it. I just haven't found anything yet I can do with it that I couldn't do with my iPhone. I understand people love their widgets, but other than the power toggles widget, I haven't found any others that are that helpful. As far as customizing your home screen, you put a bunch of apps on your home screens just like you do in iOS, where's the big difference?

I find the hardware less user friendly. The power button is harder to turn on and off than the iPhone, not to mention the lack of a home button for turning on the phone. If I'm not careful how I hold the phone, I hit the volume switches. That was never a problem with the iPhone. I can look at the iPhone without turning it on to see whether the ringer is on or not. My big reason for switching was the larger screen, however the text and icons on the notification bar are so small they're no better than the iPhone for my old eyes.

• Cyclemeter. Not available for android and alternatives aren't as full featured.
  • Momonote. Not available for android and I don't really want an alternative since I sync it with my iPad.
  • Ultralingua.

I have another week and a half before I have to decide whether or not to keep the phone. Please help me see what I can do with it that I can't with the iPhone.

• The speakers. I use earbuds or a bluetooth speaker when listening to music. So the speakers while nice aren't really something I'll be taking advantage of.
  • NFC. Unless I'm missing something, the biggest thing people are doing with the NFC is using tags to turn certain radios on and off. With the iPhone I just left everything on and never had to worry about the battery.

Sounds like you should go back to the iPhone to me.

If you have read the forum and this thread and didn't see the advantages to android, then nothing I say will make a difference. You are right, widgets are pretty worthless, and home screen customization is basically how you line up your grid of apps. You have particular apps that you want from iOS and in 3 whole days you haven't found alternatives, so obviously you have exhuasted the possibities.

Enjoy your iPhone!

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

• Ultralingua.

I don't think most of us just put apps on the home screens. You might want to look at the home screen thread to get ideas. Widgets, like a music player widget give you instant access without opening the app. Social media widgets can show you your friend's updates at a glance etc. The hardware might in fact be an issue but if you re train yourself you might find it easier. As for nfc, Google Wallet, for one, is great to have but there are other things to do with tags. I have one set up in my car to turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth and start playing music. I have another by my front door set to allow people to connect to my wifi without giving out my password. There is one on the door to the garage set to text my one friend who insists on getting a text when I get home after a night out as I have a bit of a drive. There's one on my laptop to toggle hotspot. You can also use to initiate file transfers from phone to phone. There's plenty more. Best of luck. You may not quite understand Android yet but do some looking around and you might see what is so different.

Edit: My three uninspired but non iOS home screens. Just as an idea.
9u8usu9u.jpg
ysaseba8.jpg
yra5a2u2.jpg

Last edited:

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Decided to give Android another try with the HTC One, and I have to admit, whenever I run across an issue or a bug with it my instinct is to run back to the safe, familiar iPhone. I have to say that despite it being quite new out of the box, the HTC does lag noticeably more than my two-year-old iPhone 4S ever did, even when flipping through pages in the Kindle app etc. The iOS atmosphere may be a bit boring but its seamlessness is just unbeatable. And dear god I miss iMessage and simple things like being able to take a screenshot of a Snapchat without frustratingly spending 2 hours finding a method on the One (to no avail, I might add).

I really love this phone though and I'm going to try to stick it out, but coming from 3 years of constant 24/7 iPhone use, you really notice the difference in the little things. Anyone with tips on how to ease the transition, or how to make the One run as smoothly as possible (I'm new to Android so don't know many tricks/tips) would be much appreciated. I've definitely looked at guides and stuff you find on Google but those are mostly lists of "popular apps", many repetitive and unnecessary, and not detailed in user experience.

Not familiar with snapchat, but can't you just hit power and home to take a screen shot?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

• Ultralingua.

You have many specific apps you were using on your iPhone and are unable or unwilling to find alternative solutions, so I think you should go back to your iPhone. An Android device isn't an iPhone, yet you want it to be. There are a number of suggestions I could make but honestly I've become tired of this same conversation.

iphone user wants iphone with bigger screen. They buy Android phone. Complain it's not an iPhone with a bigger screen. The end.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

A lot of the reviews said you could use it one handed, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Things seem to take more steps as well on the One than they did on the iPhone. An example is calling a favorite. On the iPhone; 1. tap the phone icon, 2. tap the favorite icon, 3. tap the favorite itself and the phone dials the call. On the One; 1. tap the phone icon, 2 (maybe 3 or 4), swipe until you get to the favorites screen, 3. select the favorite, 4. select the favorites phone number and the phone dials.

I realize it doesn't sound like many extra steps, but done often enough it is.

Simple solution to that, really. Press and hold on screen till widgets dialogue pops up, select people's widgets, choose favorites. Wahla. You have a homescreen dedicated to your favorites. You can quick dial or text from there.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately for me, Google wallet does not work with AT&T. Although I'd be surprised if any merchants in my town can accept payments that way anyway.

Any store with the paypass pad on the card reader should be able to use Wallet as long as they set it up. I'm sorry att and the other two companies block Wallet but I have seen people make it work with some effort so you might want to check that out. Back to the overall issues you have with Android my only advice is "forget iOS." Things are done differently on the two platforms (which are different to Windows phone and blackberry as well) and what you need to do is think "how do I do X?" not "how come Android doesn't do X like iOS does?"

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

You have many specific apps you were using on your iPhone and are unable or unwilling to find alternative solutions, so I think you should go back to your iPhone. An Android device isn't an iPhone, yet you want it to be. There are a number of suggestions I could make but honestly I've become tired of this same conversation.

iphone user wants iphone with bigger screen. They buy Android phone. Complain it's not an iPhone with a bigger screen. The end.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I doubt he is unwilling. It is true some apps at just exclusively on iOS and Android may never see them.

Posted via Android Central App

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Simple solution to that, really. Press and hold on screen till widgets dialogue pops up, select people's widgets, choose favorites. Wahla. You have a homescreen dedicated to your favorites. You can quick dial or text from there.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Thanks for the tip, but no people widgets pop up. Lots of other widgets, but no people widgets. Do I need to install a particular app to have the people widgets?

arwen_in_nj

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

And dear god I miss iMessage and simple things like being able to take a screenshot of a Snapchat without frustratingly spending 2 hours finding a method on the One (to no avail, I might add).

To take a screen shot on the One hold the power button and press your home button.

Sent from my most awesome HTC One

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

And dear god I miss iMessage and simple things like being able to take a screenshot of a Snapchat without frustratingly spending 2 hours finding a method on the One (to no avail, I might add).

Did you actually try looking for a solution? Just right now it took me ten seconds to Google "screenshot on htc one" and read the first result, which instructed to hold power + home or power + volume down.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

simony

May 3, 2013
Visit site

What weather clock widget is it?

I don't think most of us just put apps on the home screens. You might want to look at the home screen thread to get ideas. Widgets, like a music player widget give you instant access without opening the app. Social media widgets can show you your friend's updates at a glance etc. The hardware might in fact be an issue but if you re train yourself you might find it easier. As for nfc, Google Wallet, for one, is great to have but there are other things to do with tags. I have one set up in my car to turn off wifi, turn on bluetooth and start playing music. I have another by my front door set to allow people to connect to my wifi without giving out my password. There is one on the door to the garage set to text my one friend who insists on getting a text when I get home after a night out as I have a bit of a drive. There's one on my laptop to toggle hotspot. You can also use to initiate file transfers from phone to phone. There's plenty more. Best of luck. You may not quite understand Android yet but do some looking around and you might see what is so different.

Edit: My three uninspired but non iOS home screens. Just as an idea. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/21/9u8usu9u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/21/ysaseba8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/21/yra5a2u2.jpg

Mark Hodson

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Tried the HTC One for 2 weeks and have decided to stick with Iphone 5. Liked the phone, impressed at where HTC and Android are at this point but...

-Couldn't get phone to work well with car which is important to me, petty, I know
-I use an Otterbox and it made it near impossible with one hand
-I find the Iphone Camera to be better quality as I like zooming further than HTC would allow
-Too much clutter, IE Blink Feed and Gallery
-I like the way Mac/Iphone/Itunes sync seamlessly
-Battery was weak compared to what I'm used to in regards to lasting time and charge time

Positives though...

-Google Play was awesome, not taking up storage but having music
-LTE Speed is ridiculous
-Speakers are awesome
-ZOE/Sequence Shot
-Viewing Angles, especially outside were great, even in Otterbox

Anyways, thanks for all help

I have also returned my HTC One after 6 days (7 days cooling off period with Vodafone UK) - back to my iphone 4

The phone itself is stunning and really does look very impressive, and I really wanted this phone.

Main concerns are as follows:

• It is just too big for me - I use my iphone 4 with one hand and the HTC one isn't really suited to that - I felt like I was going to drop it.
  • Problems with bluetooth synching with my car (5 series bmw) - it doesn't take the complete phonebook across, it doesn't update recent calls, which I use all the time, I can't adjust the call volume via the car.
  • It doesn't feel as robust as the iphone 4 and to put a case on the phone (it would also increase the size!) would be a real shame. I have no evidence to suggest it is fragile, however I was concerned that it would damage easily.

other issues:
  • Call quality isn't as good as the iphone - a few people have complained since I made the switch
  • Phone runs very hot with extended use - I start trying to find different ways to hold the phone as the heat makes it uncomfortable.
  • Battery doesn't appear to be as good, although, to be fair, that is probably due to me playing with the phone constantly. I can't be bothered turning wifi, bluetooth etc on and off.

I agree on the positives, screen, speed, zoe and speakers are very good.

I will stick with the iphone for a while longer....