Going Back to iPhone 5

fettym

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Tried the HTC One for 2 weeks and have decided to stick with Iphone 5. Liked the phone, impressed at where HTC and Android are at this point but...

-Couldn't get phone to work well with car which is important to me, petty, I know
-I use an Otterbox and it made it near impossible with one hand
-I find the Iphone Camera to be better quality as I like zooming further than HTC would allow
-Too much clutter, IE Blink Feed and Gallery
-I like the way Mac/Iphone/Itunes sync seamlessly
-Battery was weak compared to what I'm used to in regards to lasting time and charge time

Positives though...

-Google Play was awesome, not taking up storage but having music
-LTE Speed is ridiculous
-Speakers are awesome
-ZOE/Sequence Shot
-Viewing Angles, especially outside were great, even in Otterbox

Anyways, thanks for all help

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Going Back to Iphone 5

Nothing wrong with preferring the iPhone. It's nice to have choices. Just a couple of notes:

Blink Feed, I'm pretty sure, can be turned off so you never have to look at it.
I'm surprised about the battery difference, as the few published tests don't seem to show much difference. Probably, though, it's because of LTE. That definitely uses more power in exchange for the extra speed.

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

You can make any page your homescreen and ignore Blinkfeed altogether. And when it comes to the gallery I just use the "Albums" view and it doesn't seem all that cluttered to me... But that's why there are choices. The iPhone 5 is still a great device, but you may miss the One after a few weeks :p

ShipWreck

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

As far a sync goes you should be able to use the HTC Manager and I think they have a backup tool as well or you can do it through the cloud as well. HTC Manager will also pull things in from I-Tunes as well.

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm coming from an iPhone 5 and will be sticking with the HTC One

-Not sure what your car problems are specifically, but mine synced well with the bluetooth setup in my car
-I can see this with all the Androids out there in the 4.7-5+ inch screen size. I always prefer a thinner case myself, as I never like taking away from the aesthetics of such a beautiful phone (iPhone 5 included)
-I'd give an edge to iPhone 5 in camera, but would definitely note that HTC One has way more features and editing techniques. Zoe is actually really cool
-I got Nova Prime Launcher, and took blinkfeed off altogether so no worries there. The clutter in the gallery is a pain with the Facebook integration. I think they dropped the ball there, but I never viewed it as a deal breaker or anything
-Hey if you're used to the Apple eco-system, that's perfectly fine. I prefer the way Android syncs, because I can treat my phone more like an external hard drive. Plug it into my computer, and drag and drop stuff right on to it... effortlessly. I absolutely hate dealing with iTunes and syncing. I love that I can take my HTC One, connect it to a friend's computer, and drag and drop pictures, movies, music, etc... right onto my phone without having iTunes on my *** about everything. Also, I feel like this is a good place to mention dropbox.
-I actually have not noticed a drop off in battery... but I guess we'll see over the next few weeks.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

-Not sure what your car problems are specifically, but mine synced well with the bluetooth setup in my car
-I can see this with all the Androids out there in the 4.7-5+ inch screen size. I always prefer a thinner case myself, as I never like taking away from the aesthetics of such a beautiful phone (iPhone 5 included)
-I'd give an edge to iPhone 5 in camera, but would definitely note that HTC One has way more features and editing techniques. Zoe is actually really cool
-I got Nova Prime Launcher, and took blinkfeed off altogether so no worries there. The clutter in the gallery is a pain with the Facebook integration. I think they dropped the ball there, but I never viewed it as a deal breaker or anything
-Hey if you're used to the Apple eco-system, that's perfectly fine. I prefer the way Android syncs, because I can treat my phone more like an external hard drive. Plug it into my computer, and drag and drop stuff right on to it... effortlessly. I absolutely hate dealing with iTunes and syncing. I love that I can take my HTC One, connect it to a friend's computer, and drag and drop pictures, movies, music, etc... right onto my phone without having iTunes on my *** about everything. Also, I feel like this is a good place to mention dropbox.
-I actually have not noticed a drop off in battery... but I guess we'll see over the next few weeks.

I can't stand iTunes either bro lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Tried the HTC One for 2 weeks and have decided to stick with Iphone 5. Liked the phone, impressed at where HTC and Android are at this point but...

-Couldn't get phone to work well with car which is important to me, petty, I know
-I use an Otterbox and it made it near impossible with one hand
-I find the Iphone Camera to be better quality as I like zooming further than HTC would allow
-Too much clutter, IE Blink Feed and Gallery
-I like the way Mac/Iphone/Itunes sync seamlessly
-Battery was weak compared to what I'm used to in regards to lasting time and charge time

Positives though...

-Google Play was awesome, not taking up storage but having music
-LTE Speed is ridiculous
-Speakers are awesome
-ZOE/Sequence Shot
-Viewing Angles, especially outside were great, even in Otterbox

Anyways, thanks for all help

It is sad to see you go. Especially since you are trying to learn how a new OS works.

I agree with meyer that one can disable Blinkfeed. As for getting it to work in the car, do you have an Auxiliary jack in the car? I fin that while wiring to the car isn't as cool or fun, it works better. The camera is I believe only a 4 MP, which is limiting in how much zooming you can do. And finally, which Otterbox did you use? The Defender? If so, that line is very bulky indeed, and I honestly prefer the Commuter. A little slimmer but still offers the same protection, aside from a built in screen protector. As for the battery, did you have things like wifi, bluetooth, etc on a lot. If they were they can drain the battery fairly quick. Screen brightness makes a big difference too.

At the very least, thanks for having an open mind in trying Android. You are a lot better than most of the Aple users I know who won't even try Android because it is not Apple.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

iPhone is better for someone like you who doesn't like a feature on your android phone, but doesn't bother to change it.

If you don't like blink feed, just get a launcher, you never have to see blink feed again.

There are alternate gallery apps available.

Regarding working with car, not enough details to know why, so I will just say my One works flawlessly with my truck.

Battery life has been good for me so I am not sure the issue for you. You do need to turn off gps and blue tooth when not using, but otherwise it should get you through a normal day.

I don't get the whole syncing with iTunes thing and why it is even necessary to sync a phone, but maybe because I have been on android a long time. The OG iphone I had was a pain in the **** with the need to sync. I haven't synced a phone since getting rid of that. What are people syncing???

So, in closing, I guess it comes down to there is a learning curve coming from the iPhone that many people don't want to tackle, and probably a lot of iPhone users are so ingrained to the limits of iPhone that they don't understand that if they don't like something on android, it can almost always be changed. It is a different mindset that seems hard for some iphone users to break out of.

c613m

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

The things I miss from iPhone 5 are iTunes seamless sync, the HTC Sync gives me issues adding music, I don't know why... I can add songs to a playlist in iTunes, and I thought it would sync the new songs but it doesn't. I also miss headphone controls... The biggest thing I dislike is that I have everything in iCloud, and that won't change... And therefore, my email I have to manually check it every now and then instead of getting a notification. Forwarding to another email address is simply not a viable solution as my email is very organized and having the email in two places just doesn't work for me. Those are the only things that bother me about the HTC One (Android). Oh and I miss FaceTime and iMessages... The only thing in iCloud that does work are my calendars are fine which are quite important, I use SmoothSync and it works well, and for Notes, I use iNotes which syncs to iCloud.

Battery is still questionable, standby time doesn't come close to iPhone.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

You can keep facebook out of the gallery by breaking the link in the gallery and using facebook on the browser (create a shortcut). There is little if any difference I can see between the app and the browser version (although I am not a big FB user).

Doing this keeps the facebook feed out of the gallery.

aaronlam54

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

I am coming from an iPhone and the difference is definitely you can make Android do almost anything you want. I've been using the iPhone since the beginning... still love it, but was frustrated because it changed how I wanted things done. And after 6 years... it feels weird to break out of that but getting there.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

The things I miss from iPhone 5 are iTunes seamless sync, the HTC Sync gives me issues adding music, I don't know why... I can add songs to a playlist in iTunes, and I thought it would sync the new songs but it doesn't. I also miss headphone controls... The biggest thing I dislike is that I have everything in iCloud, and that won't change... And therefore, my email I have to manually check it every now and then instead of getting a notification. Forwarding to another email address is simply not a viable solution as my email is very organized and having the email in two places just doesn't work for me. Those are the only things that bother me about the HTC One (Android). Oh and I miss FaceTime and iMessages... The only thing in iCloud that does work are my calendars are fine which are quite important, I use SmoothSync and it works well, and for Notes, I use iNotes which syncs to iCloud.

Battery is still questionable, standby time doesn't come close to iPhone.

Sorry to hear that your standby time doesn't come close.. I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning my phone basically uses like 1% a hour of battery while asleep..

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

You can keep facebook out of the gallery by breaking the link in the gallery and using facebook on the browser (create a shortcut). There is little if any difference I can see between the app and the browser version (although I am not a big FB user).

Doing this keeps the facebook feed out of the gallery.

How do I "break the link in the gallery"? Not really following

PittsDriver

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

I have had every iPhone since the beginning. With each model released, the competition was catching up. I feel like the One is a much superior device than my iPhone 5. The One synced seamlessly to my car. Blinkfeed is a none issue as I set it up to see how it was, then returned it to stock, and changed my home screen, I haven't seen Blinkfeed since. I, in a weird way, like iTunes and the ease of syncing iOS products like the iphone so I set out to find ways to make sure I got everything syncing with my Mac. The only thing I have a separate program for, is podcasts. I think the camera on the One is more impressive. Better colors, sharper images, and many more options in the stock camera app. Battery life is better for me on my One, not by much though. One thing I will say is that I had to really observe the battery life to see how it behaved. The stock battery display is not as detailed and accurate as the iPhone. This could cause the illusion that the battery is draining faster. I love the phone, call quality and clarity, Boomsound speakers are very clear and sound great, more customization, bigger and much more beautiful screen. I thought I was crazy to think I could switch from iOS to Android (my first Android phone) but I am not returning the One. I won't even consider the 5s, but when the iPhone 6 comes out and if it has a bigger screen, a better design form and many more features, I may consider going back. But at that point, the One will have "been there done that" by over a year already.

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I've got an iPhone 4 and the only thing I don't like about it is I'd like a larger screen. I tried the iPhone 5 six months ago but it had wifi issues, so I returned it. There are a couple things keeping me from pulling the trigger on the One. First, I'm concerned about battery life. I often go 2 days without charging my phone. I never worry about it. I see all these threads on here about tweaking things to maximize battery life. I don't want to spend hours messing with my phone to try and make the battery last longer. Why do you need to turn the gps off if there are no apps using it? I never mess with the gps on my iphone. I don't do push email as it would drive me nuts being constantly notified when I receive an email, so that is a non issue when it comes to battery life.

The other thing I would miss is extremely minor, but I like having a physical switch for the ringer.

Syncing is a non issue for me. Who syncs anymore, I have everything in the cloud. The case is a non issue thing for me as well, I keep my phone naked.

The two things drawing me to the One are the screen and the fact that we use gmail and google apps at work and I use gmail at home.

aaronlam54

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site

The screen is AMAZING. I hated the iPhone 5 too... love the 4/4s design. The One is beautiful in design. It's definitely not plug and play like iPhone but I am not sure if it's b/c I have been forced into doing things Apple's way or if it's really what I wanted. It's like going through withdrawl.

These two apps have saved me though... b/c I still use a Mac and an iPad... they let me sync the stock calendar/contacts with iCloud! Yes. Awesome. Works pretty well so far.
SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts & Calendar

fettym

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

thanks for all replies, cool forum.

yea the bluetooth audio and call quality was fine but it wouldn't sync directory properly
the battery issue, i did use wifi and have bluetooth on. i also used auto brightness
i had blinkfeed not as default home screen but still, it's clutter i don't need on the phone
the seamlessness that i like with mac/iphone is stuff like iphoto/photo stream.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

How do I "break the link in the gallery"? Not really following

In the gallery, go to "add online services", select facebook, click the overflow menu, choose remove.

Then don't use the facebook app. If you do it will autmaticaly add pics to the gallery. You can use the browser version of facebook though.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Sorry in advance if I'm coming off harsh, but... Seriously? You miss itunes sync? I use iTunes on my desktop. I have a dedicated folder that syncs to my Google music cloud. I drag the music I want available in the cloud to the folder in iTunes and it magically appears in Google Music. No syncing to the phone needed. I plugged in my daughters iphone 5 the other day to help her copy 1 song to it and the process was so stupid I felt like I had wasted 10 minutes doing something I could accomplish on any Android, blackberry or WP8 device in less than one minute. It was asking questions and the iPhone link button didn't work initially. It's supposed to be easy yet it really isn't. Itunes is a poor product for syncing anything.

The extent of your learning process moving to Android was limited at best. Most iPhone users have been dictated to for so long that they accept complicated or limited technology like drones. Why is it so difficult for many to realize they can do anything they want with their Android phone? Alas many people would rather continue eating the same Gruel day in and day out instead of spending the time to explore something incredibly diverse.

I know that everyone is different in terms of their patience for technology. This is why I've said before that iPhones are for people who want to think and learn less about technology. It's a device with very limited uses similar to a DVD player or a toaster. It plays a movie or makes great toast but that is where it ends. Meanwhile your Android phone is a full blown computer. People who want the power to do anything will benefit from what Android offers. This may be more work than its worth for you so going back to an iPhone may be your only option.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Viva Terlingua

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Alas many people would rather continue eating the same Gruel day in and day out instead of spending the time to explore something incredibly diverse.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Maybe some of us don't see messing with your phone all the time as very diverse. Doing other activities may actually be a more diverse lifestyle.