• 1 Post By jdevenberg
  • 1 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  • 1 Post By karmamule
  • 1 Post By LindtChocolate
  • 1 Post By mamartin89
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 1 Post By Cattails_r_Edible
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Aesthetics of a phone only matter if you are going naked.

Lets face it, unless you will go naked and never use a case on your phone what it looks like without one makes no difference. What should only matter is the following:
    1)Screen-Size and Clarity
    2)Preference in O.S-Touchwiz or Sense
    3)Performance
    4)Features
    5)Quality of Phone including call quality, sound etc..)
    6)Ease of use
    7)Support from manufacturer.

I was all set to get the SG4 over the HTC One sight unseen because of the larger screen size and removable battery. I decided to check out the HTC One at a local Sprint store and at first glance I said "I have to have this phone" because of its looks. Then the screen looked amazing while watching videos. I was not so impressed with the speakers as I heard some popping noise at times but I love the fact that they are on the front and not the back. The phone performed great and I left the store saying this is an amazing phone. When I left the store I kept thinking more about how the phone looked aesthetically then how it performed and how much I liked it. I then picked up my Droid Bionic with the black Seidio case on it to make a call and realized that I will have to cover the HTC One in black plastic covering up all its beauty. I just can't leave it naked knowing I will drop it at some point in time denting it or totally destroying it.
    So now I wait until the ugly duckling of a phone the SG4 is out to see if it bests the HTC One in what really matters (1 through 7).
    Rockin The Moto X
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Aesthetics of a phone only matter if you are going naked.

Quote Originally Posted by anicholas7 View Post
    Lets face it, unless you will go naked and never use a case on your phone what it looks like without one makes no difference. What should only matter is the following:
    3)Performance
    4)Features
    6)Ease of use

I was all set to get the SG4 over the HTC One sight unseen because of the larger screen size and removable battery. I decided to check out the HTC One at a local Sprint store and at first glance I said "I have to have this phone" because of its looks. Then the screen looked amazing while watching videos. I was not so impressed with the speakers as I heard some popping noise at times but I love the fact that they are on the front and not the back. The phone performed great and I left the store saying this is an amazing phone. When I left the store I kept thinking more about how the phone looked aesthetically then how it performed and how much I liked it. I then picked up my Droid Bionic with the black Seidio case on it to make a call and realized that I will have to cover the HTC One in black plastic covering up all its beauty. I just can't leave it naked knowing I will drop it at some point in time denting it or totally destroying it.
    So now I wait until the ugly duckling of a phone the SG4 is out to see if it bests the HTC One in what really matters (1 through 7).
    Hoo yah!!! I never understood the whole aesthetics debate, due to the reason you stated. If you put it in a case, the looks don't mean anything.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

They make slim fitting cases that show off the beauty of this phone. I have a rugged case that covers all the sexiness up. And I didn't see anywhere in the instructions the step that said use super glue so the case will never come off. There are plenty of scenarios where a case is not necessary. Please stop beating this dead horse.

I refuse to put a case on this phone, just like I stopped putting cases on all my previous iPhones, because it's not needed. Unless you absolutely require it, whether it be for your job or your just plain clumsy, there's no reason to have a case. I bought a back skin from BestSkinEver and installed it yesterday, it's all I need.

I'm only going to be buying clear cases, so the aesthetics definitely do matter. Cases like the Poetic Atmosphere show off the One while also protecting it. Of course, you won't have the feel of the phone with the case on, but its design will be visible.
    Topgonzo likes this.

Not everyone likes or uses cases. I don't. You still see the front of the phone, you still use the buttons, you still see the screen and I prefer the HTC One screen. The S3 and S4 still pop and crack even if they are in a case. So its not nearly as simple as you are rationalizing it to be. I'm using a loaner S4 now and may stick with it or may get the One. Touchwiz on the S4 is annoying as hell thats for sure. Cause horrible lag which is just unbelievable, most of the new feature don't work well at all, and its just constantly in your face not to mention now much space it takes up leaving you with a pitiful 9 GB of memory available. SD cards suck and I don't care about removable batteries. The Samsung screen is a tiny amount bigger than the HTC so thats not a real thing. Having said that I'm still on the fence between the two phones but will most likely replace my Note 2 with the One. Leave it to Samsung to expect their customers to make up for their design flaws by buying cases and sd cards on top of buying the phone. Call quality on the S4 is nothing great and Samsung support is terrible. Especially if you are used to Apple level support. Not sure about HTC support but all the reviews say the sound quality is better.

3)Performance
    4)Features
    6)Ease of use

iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon
    Topgonzo likes this.

I always go naked so it does matter to me at least.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:
    karmamule and go3go like this.

I disagree with the premise of this. Aesthetics of the phone its self will directly effect the aesthetics of the cases made for it. That is to say, the style of the phone can carry over into the style of the case. Now, if you get something generic like a Speck or an Otterbox, this is less true, but if you get something like a Poetic Atmosphere or the HTC DoubleDip case, they complement, not cover, the style of the phone. That is the main reason I didn't get an Otterbox. I got the Double Dip, and will likely get an Atmosphere and (if one ever comes out) a bumper case. With the S4 a case like a Speck or Otterbox makes sense because the phone itself doesn't have a lot of style, so you can use a case to dress it up. With the One you can use a case to accentuate the pre-existing style.
    Topgonzo likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,920 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

There are at least two clear cases that show off the looks of the phone. The Poetic, and the Spigen (which I don't think is out yet).

There may be more. For me, those are all the protection I need.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    Topgonzo likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for the responses with the exception of some who need to be sarcastic. I actually didn't know that they made clear cases for the HTC One (might help in my decision). Until they make a near indestructable phone I think a case is a must not only to keep the phone in good working condition but also for resale value. As far as dropping the phone and which one holds up better is debatable. I just watched multiple drop test videos of both and the HTC One fared worse then the SG4. On one of the tests the top speaker cover of the HTC One came off because it's held on apparently with glue. Also the aluminum frame dents really easy. No phone is going to hold up very well if dropped from the chest to head level on cement but I have to believe that plastic will hold up better then aluminum. Both have gorilla glass so thats a wash. Anyway I just posted my thoughts and how I am going to choose which phone is best for me and why.
    Rockin The Moto X
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    I always go naked so it does matter to me at least.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Same here, my phones will get small scuffs and such over the months & years but (knock on wood) have never had a major spill in the last 5 years or so. I'll accept the risk for the sake of enjoying my phone "as is" without any case bulking it up or obscuring its design, especially when it's as gorgeous as the HTC One.
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
    Topgonzo likes this.

The look of the phone still matters to me even though I use a case on all of my phones. Granted, I use slim cases, but I still can see a lot of the phone. Some phones look a lot better than others, even when in a case. That's why, when it comes to Android devices, I like to go with Samsung. Their phones may be made of cheap plastic, but they look really good in cases.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

I've tried cases but always wind up dumping them and running naked. You get a nicely designed phone then cover it up and then, when you want to put it into a car dock you have to remove it from the cover -- not practical.

I've gone naked for years and never had an issue with any of the 3 Android phones I've had (HTC Evo 4G, SGNexus and now HTC One), but my current company provided iPhone 4, which I seldom use, is cracked all over the back glass cover. I also don't use screen protectors as they look like crap, scratch too easily, and blur the screen -- why bother. I've never scratched any screen on any phone in 18 years of cell phone use.

The HTC One is too attractive to put clothes on.

Brian

I am a naked guy myself. Never liked the added bulk of a case. I have had an accident with my Samsung infuse that broke the corner of the screen a few months ago. I also picked up a crack across the center of the screen at some point but it was hard to notice that so I don't know when or how it happened.

I replaced the housing on it after about a year because of a lot of nicks on the edges. It was nice to be able to do that for about $25.

I am thinking about getting a case for the one for times when it may be more likely to get damaged. But I won't use it day to day.

That's why I am going naked with the phone, it's just too nice to look at and to feel that I can't bring myself to cover it up. I do have a case but every time I put it on, I take it right back off. I like the look and feel of this phone too much.

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM

I too have found myself using cases and eventually going without. I am nervous about this one because it is my first phone which isn't on a replacement plan and it's the best (though that shouldn't be a surprise) phone I've owned. My EVO LTE wore a case for about 2 weeks and then went naked because it was so much better. I am actually loving my KLD flip case so far. It feels really protected and I get questions about it all the time!

I use a slim case when I go out and naked at home. On top of that the feel of the phone is still much better with a case than the S3. The S3 feels like it's going to fall out of my hands too easily and is much lighter. I haven't held the S4, but I figure it won't be "much" different and it will never be close to as cool as the One naked IMO.
    HTC One - ATT 64GB

I would love to go naked. But I want to try to preserve the beauty of the device for as long as I can. I know that it seems like the case is eclipsing the attractiveness of the phone, but it is still important to me to keep as many scuffs, dents, and/or scratches off of it as I can.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

I disagree with your assumption.
    Thanked by:

Although the metal is nice, I wrapped my phone with a beautiful carbon fiber case (I dropped it, got scratched, somehow after 3 days the scratches just..rubbed off but I can't take another chance)
    I am in love with Sense 5, I like news on the go and blinkfeed gives me what I like. Lightening fast phone, pretty much on par with the S4. The speakers on the One are amazing, I've never noticed a popping sound like some would complain. I also basically live in low light, so the camera fits my needs. What sold me is what features I would personally enjoy. Sure, the S4 has a LOT of software features, but the only one I see myself using is the full palm screenshot and S-translator (for about a week before it bores me). Truthfully, you should just get whatever phone fits your needs rather than what just has more of something or better looks.
    Xsie likes this.

I use a case and aesthetics still mattered to me when I bought the phone. The fact that I know the phone is gorgeous under the case still makes me happy.

It is like saying that going to the gym and getting a 6-pack is pointless because you are going to wear a shirt most of the time, but people still do it anyways. lol

I like knowing that all the sexiness is under there, and that I can strip it down at anytime!
    Topgonzo likes this.

I had a case on my S3 for a week.. Then naked. And I've had it since day 1. I will always have phones naked now since I want to enjoy the phone itself and not the case.

So Yay .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Topgonzo likes this.

I think if you use a case you will be more likely to drop the phone. Only the big ugly cases protect the screen with any certainty, so wearing a case for day to day use results in more drops and potential for broken screen (unless you are using a defender or something.)

my one is out there jerry, and lovin every minute of it!

using my HTC ONE on ANDROID CENTRAL'S app
    adriandb likes this.

I have a nice case with a clear back that shows off the aesthetics of the phone while still offering enough protection to make me feel safe.

I'm probably in the minority here, but Samsung's design aesthetics just rub me the wrong way, to the point that covering most of it up with a case isn't enough. For example, I find that banana-shaped hardware home button to be hideous, and no case can cover it up without compromising function. The aesthetics of the OS matter too. I find TouchWiz ugly.