Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By bosslugger
  • 2 Post By bigtnew
  • 1 Post By bigtnew
  • 1 Post By bigtnew
  • 1 Post By bigtnew
  • 1 Post By santhon2
  • 1 Post By mrbootcrm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I wake the screen for notifications?

It's driving me crazy to have to constantly push the on/off button to wake the screen for notifications. Sorry but vibrate and a green blinking light aren't enough.
    I want to be able to SEE notifications as they come in, so I know if I need to pick up the phone or not.
    I suspect the answer is download yet another app, but any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanked by:
    adriandb and Blaalad12 like this.

Default Re: How do I wake the screen for notifications?

I'd be really interested to know this as well.

Not a huge issue but it would be handy especially for incoming sms There doesn't seem to be any way of enabling this through any of the inbuilt settings though

Screen notifications. That's the apps name so far works for me. The screen comes on for apps that you assign. It does not change your lock screen or add it's own notification, it simply turns the screen on. Also there are no crazy permissions and so far it works for me. I'll keep this thread posted if there are any battery issues.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ications&hl=en
    Last edited by bigtnew; 05-02-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Adding link to App

How does it work? You just choose an app and when you get a notification from that app the screen lights up? Does it stay lit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaalad12 View Post
    How does it work? You just choose an app and when you get a notification from that app the screen lights up? Does it stay lit ?
    Yes exactly could not be any easier. The screen stays lit for the duration you tell it to. I use 10 seconds you can set it to your liking.
    Thanked by:
    Blaalad12 likes this.

Sound like exactly what i am looking for , Thanks You should post this in the tips and tricks thread ;-)

Sound like exactly what i am looking for , Thanks You should post this in the tips and tricks thread ;-)
    Biggest benefit I see is saving nearly 100 power button presses a day.
    Thanked by:
    dtrose 
    Blaalad12 likes this.

Can you post a link to the app btw? Just had a quick browse and couldnt see anything

Can you post a link to the app btw? Just had a quick browse and couldnt see anything
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ications&hl=en
    Thanked by 4:
    adriandb likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

you, sir, are awesome. I wish that update 4.2 would fix this, but this'll do for now.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Using this app can cause an issue with the HTC One. You'll notice that, when you enable the screen notifications in the accessibility menu, your phone will become unlocked when you touch your lock screen (I.e., a swipe is no longer needed). Not bad by itself, but it creates issues when you try to answer your phone from the lock screen, use the music player from the lock screen, etc. Apparently, this is a known bug in the accessibility setting.
    Last edited by bc ct; 05-03-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Thanked by 2:

I'd prefer the phone itself did this without downloading yet another app, seems like a basic function of the OS.
    Thanked by:
    Dayvidpriddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bc ct View Post
    Using this app can cause an issue with the HTC One. You'll notice that, when you enable the screen notifications in the accessibility menu, your phone will become unlocked when you touch your lock screen (I.e., a swipe is no longer need). Not bad by itself, but creates issues when you try to answer your phone from the lock screen, use the music player from the lock screen, etc. This is a known bug in the accessibility setting.
    Yeah I tried the app quickly, was not a fan of this bug.

Quote Originally Posted by bc ct View Post
    Using this app can cause an issue with the HTC One. You'll notice that, when you enable the screen notifications in the accessibility menu, your phone will become unlocked when you touch your lock screen (I.e., a swipe is no longer needed). Not bad by itself, but it creates issues when you try to answer your phone from the lock screen, use the music player from the lock screen, etc. Apparently, this is a known bug in the accessibility setting.
    Ugh, damn, this seems like a perfect solution, but if it messes with the ability to control music and answer calls what is the point?

Yeah, tried it and it messes with the lock screen. Bummer. Another annoyance I found is when you make a call and they hang up first, your dialer stays on screen instead of going back to home.

I would just like to remind the people who want the screen to light for every notification that doing so will likely have consequences for battery life. If you insist on adding this feature please think twice before making posts complaining about how little your battery lasts once doing this.
    Topgonzo likes this.

Just another suggestion:

I've installed WidgetLocker, which allows you to put widgets on your lockscreen. I then place a "notification lockscreen" widget on my lockscreen. I set it up to wake the screen when I get a notification. Like such:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jimjr03 View Post
    Just another suggestion:

I've installed WidgetLocker, which allows you to put widgets on your lockscreen. I then place a "notification lockscreen" widget on my lockscreen. I set it up to wake the screen when I get a notification. Like such:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...4-02-43-22.png

Which widget locker theme is that? Thanks

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

NiLS Notification Lockscreen

I am running the same thing and it woks decently well.

Lockscreen Notification - SOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
    Which widget locker theme is that? Thanks
    It's the honey comb theme.

Actually I tried this and haven't had any issues. Maybe because I'm using Executive Assistant+ as my lockscreen?
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

I just started using Auto Screen On https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...NjcmVlbm9uIl0.. I've only used it for two days but it seems to work pretty well without excessive battery drain. I was afraid the screen would turn on and off all the time in my pocket. When I pull my phone out of my pocket and hold it up about a foot from my face the screen turns on. If my phone is laying on a flat surface and I want to check on a notification that came in I wave my hand over the proximity sensor and it turns on. I use the One's Productivity lock screen.

it works really fine... the screen wakes up with the notification and you see notifications on the screen as iphone...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nnotifications

Quote Originally Posted by bosslugger View Post
    It's driving me crazy to have to constantly push the on/off button to wake the screen for notifications. Sorry but vibrate and a green blinking light aren't enough.
    I want to be able to SEE notifications as they come in, so I know if I need to pick up the phone or not.
    I suspect the answer is download yet another app, but any help would be much appreciated.
    I just posted about this very topic a few minutes ago regarding my new Nexus 5 I just got (switched from iPhone) and got flamed by some dude for complaining about this rofl. I assumed this was a standard feature on any smartphone? It is for iOS, BlackBerry and Windows, Android...you need to get with the times. This is awful that this is not included in Android.