Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apple vs android

So my wife decided to get an iPhone 5 and I have been playing around with it while my HTC one is on backorder. I have never messed around with an iPhone before. I don't understand why people love them so much.
    1 I can't Bluetooth anything to it.
    2 it doesn't have an app draw
    3 have yet to find a way to toggle b/t open apps.
    4 zero customization
    5 no widgets
    6 it seems rather boring and plain.

Just my opinion

Ready to upgrade my Samsung nexus to HTC one and hope HTC can become profitable. Hell HTC and palm treo started smartphones how did they get behind the ball...
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Apple vs android

Quote Originally Posted by walt27 View Post
    So my wife decided to get an iPhone 5 and I have been playing around with it while my HTC one is on backorder. I have never messed around with an iPhone before. I don't understand why people love them so much.
    4 zero customization
    5 no widgets

Just my opinion

Ready to upgrade my Samsung nexus to HTC one and hope HTC can become profitable. Hell HTC and palm treo started smartphones how did they get behind the ball...
    Yeah hopefully HTC can get back on top . Congrats on your HTC one , hope it comes in for you soon.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

4 zero customization
    5 no widgets

Just my opinion

Having just moved to android from iOS I can say that you're right and wrong. Technically your points are correct, except the bluetooth issue, that doesn't sound normal. I always jailbroke my devices so I had a bit more customization, but in general Android is far more flexible. On the other hand, iOS is intuitive and easy to pick up. Though I love my new One, I still find it to be a breath of fresh air when I pick up my iPad.
    EverNap likes this.

it seems rather boring and plain.
    Yeah, unless you jailbreak it...and even then it won't compare to the flexibility of Android.
    I don't bother jailbreaking my iPhone 5 since I barely use it it's not worth the effort...sideloading to my Z10 takes enough of my time already & has more of a benefit for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I've always thought that Jailbreaking an iPhone just makes it be like Android. You jailbreak an iPhone so that you can have the features that Android comes with right out of the box.

And AGREED on Bluetooth. You can't send anything through BT with an iPhone. You can only pair headsets to it which is pretty dumb. I think the reason for that is because iOS lacks another very, very, VERY basic computing program:

A file manager.

There is absolutely no way to manage files on iOS, which is why it can't support bluetooth file transfers, data transers, SD cards, mice, flash drives, hard drives, and other peripherals that Android can out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    I've always thought that Jailbreaking an iPhone just makes it be like Android. You jailbreak an iPhone so that you can have the features that Android comes with right out of the box.
    Almost. WHat I've found having made the switch to Android is that there are some things I could customize on iOS that I can't on Android. Overall, Android is far more customizable, but there are a few things I'm still struggling with that were dead simple on a jailbroken iOS device.
    Squeeze Play likes this.

Well... the thing that I miss (being a recent switcher)... is the SIMPLISTIC way iOS works. I would never recommend Android to my mom. iPhone's out of the box work better than Andriod phones IMHO. You plug them into your Macbook and everything just syncs perfect. You do have to buy into the entire culture... luckily... as I noticed today shopping for some One accessories... iPhones dominate.

What I am loving about my One is how much you CAN do with it. I found that even when I jailbroke my iPhone... you were still limited. An Android phone is like having a computer in your pocket. I always said my iPhone was an extension of my computer. My One can function alone... just takes a lot of messing around.

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    Almost. WHat I've found having made the switch to Android is that there are some things I could customize on iOS that I can't on Android. Overall, Android is far more customizable, but there are a few things I'm still struggling with that were dead simple on a jailbroken iOS device.
    What can't you customize on Android that you could on iOS? Even Jailbroken?

Global Posts
    5,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I had a long response that I just deleted and will replace with the following sentiment:

HULK SMASH!!!!!

Have a nice day!

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

ttwiitch and mcpricex like this.

When people ask me what the differences are between ios and android, I like to say that ios is like buying the finished death star. It works the way someone else designed it to and works well. Android is like buying the unfinished death star. You can finish it any way you want but have to spend the time doing so.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    5,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by gramamoose View Post
    When people ask me what the differences are between ios and android, I like to say that ios is like buying the finished death star. It works the way someone else designed it to and works well. Android is like buying the unfinished death star. You can finish it any way you want but have to spend the time doing so.

I'd say it's more like buying a finished mouse droid versus a fully operational death star. There is nothing "not finished" about Android anymore. Back in the time of Froyo and maybe Gingerbread, they were good systems to compare to each other. In 2011 with Ice Cream Sandwich Android surpassed iOS and with Jelly Bean there is no comparison. Apple is currently about 2 years behind in terms of hardware and software functionality. They claim to be changing that this June... here's to hoping; it'd be nice to have competition again so that the "feud" isn't between Sammy and HTC.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Thanked by:
    estebancam likes this.

You can toggle between apps on the iPhone by double pressing the home button. That being said:

I LOVE my new One. Honestly I would have switched to Android years ago if someone had really explained to me exactly what android was and how it differed from iOS

I feel like this phone is actually MY phone. With my iPhone it always felt like it was apple's and I just paid to use it. With android I feel like I paid to OWN it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Don't hate on ios I still use it and love all the apps the only thing android has going is that the fact your not tied to iTunes. I like both operating system ios for my apps and my s4 as a ipod touch for playing mediore games and music that's all. Its just a phone people get over it theirs no reason to bash on ios or android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    zeteo likes this.

Global Posts
    742 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ROM/CyanogenMod 10

Its a matter of opinion.
    There's never going to be a definitive answer to this debate, just strong-opinions.
    Even if a OS lacks a lot of features, some people feel right at home with the OS.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums
    I`m alive
    EverNap likes this.

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

4 zero customization
    5 no widgets

Just my opinion

1) I don't need to transfer anything with bluetooth
    2) Your apps are right there in front of you, no need for a drawer.
    3) Double click the home button to reveal the app switcher, functions exactly like the app switcher on ICS and up.
    4) Welcome to 2007.
    5) See number 4.
    6) Thanks for your opinion.

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by gramamoose View Post

Wow what an awesome way to describe each OS.
    adriandb likes this.

I use a droid bionic... iOS is better on several fronts:

1. Much lighter operating system. Lighter is faster. (Android is becoming like windows... please prove me wrong Google!)
    2. Simple to use, does specific functions very well.
    3. Very stable. (Google: please work on this)

However I love to have flexibility and a mini computer in my pocket.

So I go with Android. I really don't think iOS and Android are a fair comparison.

The single biggest problem with iOS my wife complains about is that notification sounds play very loud in ear while on phone call! And apple with not fix...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by danrenfroe2016 View Post
    I use a droid bionic... iOS is better on several fronts:

1. Much lighter operating system. Lighter is faster. (Android is becoming like windows... please prove me wrong Google!)
    2. Simple to use, does specific functions very well.
    3. Very stable. (Google: please work on this)

However I love to have flexibility and a mini computer in my pocket.

So I go with Android. I really don't think iOS and Android are a fair comparison.

The single biggest problem with iOS my wife complains about is that notification sounds play very loud in ear while on phone call! And apple with not fix...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Well comparing using the bionic isn't very fair to Android either. Isn't the bionic still running gingerbread?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Android can sometimes be very bloated I have to agree, but my Nexus 7 is fast and trim. Wish I could switch off Sense and all the bloatware on my One X, it would run even faster imo.

I've an iPod touch which is ok for music, way behind android now for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    What can't you customize on Android that you could on iOS? Even Jailbroken?
    Until last night I would have told you the lockscreen was a huge issue for me on Android. On a jailbroked iOS device I could install LockInfo and have everything I need to see right there. I had a really hard time finding anything similar on Android. Last night I discovered which solves this problem for me.

I like the iOS because it's simple to use which I think it's just because I need time to adapt to Android. Also there are more games and apps on iOS which is why I still keep my iPad.

Reminds me of the Palm vs. the old Windows Mobile debate.

Palm was simpler, easier to use. WM was more customizable.
    adriandb likes this.

Though I love my new One, I still find it to be a breath of fresh air when I pick up my iPad.
    Haha, I feel the same way when I use my 4S in the gym. This feeling of familiararity returns.
    adriandb likes this.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Until last night I would have told you the lockscreen was a huge issue for me on Android. On a jailbroked iOS device I could install LockInfo and have everything I need to see right there. I had a really hard time finding anything similar on Android. Last night I discovered which solves this problem for me.
    You have heard of widgetlocker right?

A little more on topic. I don't know why we go on about this incessantly. Just like the days of Mac Vs Windows(not PC because they're both PCs), sometimes you feel like a nut and other times you buy a Windows based PC. I could give you 900 reasons why Linux is better than Windows or Mac OSX. Problem is that if you're a gamer, they're all invalid because OSX and Windows have better game and video card support than Linux. So who's right?

Same argument applies to iOS and Android. It's a personal opinion, hopefully made by what works better for you rather than blind ignorance and marketing campaigns.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    adriandb and EverNap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    You have heard of widgetlocker right?
    Yeah, but based on the description and screenshots on the store it looks underwhelming.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast