Switching from Silver to Black! Need a little help with backup...

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
OK, so my silver One that I got last week was only my 2nd Android phone. When I logged into my Google account after purchasing it, my apps showed up in the list, but I still had to install them, put my music in, etc. I kinda thought that it would have been a little different than that, but I've never had to go through a phone backup-and-restore process.

I am trading in my silver One for a Stealth Black One on Sunday, and would like to just be able to sign back in and have the new one look like my old one. Is there anything I can do (or, should have done last time!) to make this more seamless?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Assuming you're not rooted, the best bet might be to sign up for Carbon backup, and back up everything on your current phone, then restore to the new phone.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, not rooted, and no intentions of being. I will check out Carbon and Helium tonight! :)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Also: You can just copy over the DCIM folder for pictures and zoes. It'll reset the timestamps, but otherwise works fine.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Also: You can just copy over the DCIM folder for pictures and zoes. It'll reset the timestamps, but otherwise works fine.

Thanks. If I use carbon or helium, will that do this automatically, or do I still have to remember to do this. (Along with my music, which I'm using iSyncr for.)

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Download HTC backup from the App Store, it does a full backup and will restore compete Dropbox ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Download HTC backup from the App Store, it does a full backup and will restore compete Dropbox ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wow. That's a pretty slick app. Nice and quick for everything except the pics. I wonder if it backs up your MMS/SMS? That would be excellent.

achacon77

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
This might sound crazy but I just switched from silver to black and it just feels different. It studders just a bit. Speakers don't sound quite as rich. Is this just in my head or is it possible that they've switched things up a bit? Oh yeah, I'm using Sprint.

Big things on my M7

Update: So I just finished charging the black One I swapped out for the silver and within five minutes, I was down to about 85% battery. Something fishy going on here. I'll be headed back to get my silver One back.

Last edited:

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
This might sound crazy but I just switched from silver to black and it just feels different. It studders just a bit. Speakers don't sound quite as rich. Is this just in my head or is it possible that they've switched things up a bit? Oh yeah, I'm using Sprint.

Big things on my M7

Update: So I just finished charging the black One I swapped out for the silver and within five minutes, I was down to about 85% battery. Something fishy going on here. I'll be headed back to get my silver One back.

OK, you had me scared, until I read the part about "Sprint"!

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you're not rooted, the best bet might be to sign up for Carbon backup, and back up everything on your current phone, then restore to the new phone.

OK, so I finally got back to my PC after being gone for the past day-and-a-half. Got Helium to connect to my desktop, but when it did the backup, it backed it up to the internal storage ON my HTC One. Not what I expected. Am I assuming correctly that I should take these backup folders and copy them to my PC? (It gave me only three options when it asked me where to back up to, and the "internal storage" was the only one that would work, without upgrading to the "premium edition".

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Do you have an SD card? According the the Play store entry, you should be able to set Helium to back up to the SD card. And apparently there's a PC-side program you can install that will let you back up to a PC.

Otherwise, I'd copy the directory that the Helium backup is in to your PC, and then copy it back to the same location on the new phone and hope for the best. But I think using an SD card is a better approach.