Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jsntrenkler
  • 1 Post By Joseph Levy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Wake with Volume Rocker

I just got the black HTC One from my local AT&T store and it's seriously an awesome device! Coming from a Lumia 920, the first thing that I know I'll have trouble with is the power button on the top left. I searched around to see if the volume rocker can be remapped to wake the phone, but could only find custom roms. Can this be done without installing a custom rom? I'm one of the few that likes the Sense UI, so I want to keep it mostly stock. Any advice guys?

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default Re: Wake with Volume Rocker

Just one of those things you have to get used to. Won't take long. I was not crazy about not being able to back out of the app drawer using the back button, but now I am fine with it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Let me know when you find one. And no, you won't get used to it. It's like they tested out a way to make it as impossible to reach as physically imaginable and finally found the perfect combination of inaccessibility with perfect lack of tactile feedback.

Sent from my HTC ONE using Android Central Forums

no, it cant be done without a custom ROM. it only took me a few mins to the power button being on the top left after years of having samsung phones. no big deal. my volume rockers are mapped to skip music tracks when the screen is off.

I know what you mean. I had the same reaction. But with most things in android there is a switch or app that can help. For this issue I downloaded the Wake up Screen app. It's great. I set the sensitivity to high and now the screen turns on automatically when I just picked up the phone. So I just pick it up and I'm ready to go. I wish my old iPhone had this. No more finger gymnastics to turn it on and then unlock screen. It's much faster now.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I've been using the phone for a solid day now and I'm still reaching for the volume rocker or the top right of the phone. Top left just seems awkward to me, but I am getting used to it. Since the screen doesn't light up when receiving texts, I hate having to keep pressing the power button to wake the phone up. The power button on my last HTC phone started to recess, so the One will probably recess a lot quicker. Thanks for suggesting the Wake up Screen app. I'll check it out asap.

Global Posts
    3,498 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

It has taken me a couple weeks to reprogram my brain to reach fir the top left to turn the phone on & off. Now I find it a non issue.

Posted via Android Central App
    mrbootcrm and tredstone like this.

My work around for this problem was installing Auto Screen On, it allows the proximity sensor to turn the screen on. No lock use to be a good option for this but does not work with the One. Hopefully they will update it soon.
    tredstone likes this.

IMO the power button on the side is incorrect, as in wrong. Whether you're left or right-handed, your thumb or fingers would always be in that spot leading to too many inadvertent power-offs or screen-offs. It belongs on the top where your fingers will not be 99% of the time. Now, if you're right-handed, putting it over to the right would have been nicer, but I'll assume it had something to do with the internal layout. If you're using the Sense TV Remote, there is an option to wake the phone just by moving it and it goes directly to the remote -- maybe not what you're looking for but in the ballpark. I know of a few apps that do something similar without root. If I can find them I'll post links.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Levy View Post
    My work around for this problem was installing Auto Screen On, it allows the proximity sensor to turn the screen on. No lock use to be a good option for this but does not work with the One. Hopefully they will update it soon.
    This was an incredibly helpful tweak! I set it to require two touch confirmation which pretty much eliminates any unintended screen activations. I hope it doesn't hurt battery life too much though.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I personally think having a power button on top of such a tall phone is awkward. My old 920 was around the same height as the One and the power button on the side was great. No accidental presses and it felt more natural to me. This is probably the only thing the S4 got right when considering large screen phones. Did anybody have accidental wakeups in your pocket when using the proximity sensor apps?

I'm using trickdroid and it satisfies what you needed: volume to wake and option to retain sense 5

Thanked by:

Talking Re: Wake with Volume Rocker

why do you want to wake with volume locker when you can wake with picking up your phone- download the awesome on off from playstore!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chenchfort View Post
    I'm using trickdroid and it satisfies what you needed: volume to wake and option to retain sense 5

Agreed. Same with the latest versions of Android Revolution HD.

I think I'm finally gonna jump in and root my phone tonight, my power button is getting beat, I would live to run trick droid or something similar just nervous it'll be my first time rooting worse case I'll brick it then smash it then pay 200 deductible, jk I hope all goes well. I'm open to any tips or help PM me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by AceRockolla View Post
    I know what you mean. I had the same reaction. But with most things in android there is a switch or app that can help. For this issue I downloaded the Wake up Screen app. It's great. I set the sensitivity to high and now the screen turns on automatically when I just picked up the phone. So I just pick it up and I'm ready to go. I wish my old iPhone had this. No more finger gymnastics to turn it on and then unlock screen. It's much faster now.
    I have heard constantly keeps the cpu going and never goes into a deep sleep. Is this true? Any affect on the battery?

For the HTC one I couldn't get used to the power button on the top left. So I am using the app Auto Screen On. I just pull it out of my pocket and turn it horizontal andthe lock screen comes up. Works great and now I'm lovin the HTC One.

Lightbulb Re: Wake with Volume Rocker

Check this video link. It should solve your problem. Though the phone has to have custom rom described in the video which is exactly the HTC sense stock rom with some more features.. If you are comfortable in rooting, its risk free.

Last edited by elegentz; 12-15-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonoma1060 View Post
    For the HTC one I couldn't get used to the power button on the top left. So I am using the app Auto Screen On. I just pull it out of my pocket and turn it horizontal andthe lock screen comes up. Works great and now I'm lovin the HTC One.
    but doean't it prevent the phone from deep sleep and waste battery? (can you tell the % of the battery drain?)