HTC One turned itself off - won't turn back on again?!! Help!!

AviTA20

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC one turned itself off - wont turn back on again?!! Help!!

[language redacted by Mod] I loved this phone, Until one day It got dead by itself,

I was on Android 4.3 everything was and it got dead, no LEDS LCD or any sign of life,

Bought it on Ebay, and that seller aint there to respond,

I [language redacted by Mod] hate Ebay and HTC both now, On connecting on Laptop it shows unknown device.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexSthlm

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Remove the battery for about 10 seconds. Put the battery back into the phone, now hold down power and volume buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds.

Alexey73

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

I managed to revive my HTC One XL (evita).
(THE PROCEDIURE DESCRIBED HERE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CONTAINS A RISK OF PERMANENTLY DAMAGING THE DEVICE!!!)
It took me taking off the back cover and unscrewing the 6 screws (just like getting to the battery replacement/disconnect-reconnect, ex. HTC One X Battery Replacement Tutorial - Using the HTC One X+ Battery - YouTube ).
Then I inserted a piece of plastic foam film (ca 1mm thick, like the one ised for laminate flooring underlay or in the insulated plastic bags for frozen foods) under the motherboard, i.e. between the motherboard and the back of the screen assembly.
Foam film insert's cut shape and the screws nedded to accessed are shown on the picture attached.
(Note to those taken the risk of doing this: All connectors shoudl be properly recconnected before assembly. Special attention is required to the connector under the motherboard on the conductors leading to the power switch - it gets easily unclamped when raising the motherboard even a little.
It tkaes pressing on the motherboard a bit before putting the screws back.)

It appears that the problem is mechanical. Probably it's CPU or some other chips that get out of proper contact (unsoldered?) with the motherboard's pcb - due to heating maybe. The problem is solved by inserting a material that puts permanent pressure on these parts.

Attachments

• htc one xl evita insert.png
    htc one xl evita insert.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 230

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I managed to revive my HTC One XL (evita).
(THE PROCEDIURE DESCRIBED HERE WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND CONTAINS A RISK OF PERMANENTLY DAMAGING THE DEVICE!!!)
It took me taking off the back cover and unscrewing the 6 screws (just like getting to the battery replacement/disconnect-reconnect, ex. HTC One X Battery Replacement Tutorial - Using the HTC One X+ Battery - YouTube ).
Then I inserted a piece of plastic foam film (ca 1mm thick, like the one ised for laminate flooring underlay or in the insulated plastic bags for frozen foods) under the motherboard, i.e. between the motherboard and the back of the screen assembly.
Foam film insert's cut shape and the screws nedded to accessed are shown on the picture attached.
(Note to those taken the risk of doing this: All connectors shoudl be properly recconnected before assembly. Special attention is required to the connector under the motherboard on the conductors leading to the power switch - it gets easily unclamped when raising the motherboard even a little.
It tkaes pressing on the motherboard a bit before putting the screws back.)

It appears that the problem is mechanical. Probably it's CPU or some other chips that get out of proper contact (unsoldered?) with the motherboard's pcb - due to heating maybe. The problem is solved by inserting a material that puts permanent pressure on these parts.

Wrong forum. This is the HTC One. Not the HTC One X.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

HTCONE88

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Mine just did the same thing. I had success with the on button and volume... after 15 seconds. Bit of a worry!

Is HTC doing something about this... IS there a software update to fix this?
OMG, this happened to my phone too. The power plus volume up for 15 seconds booted it up. A screen saying com.htc.bgp has stopped unexpectedly. Wtf is that?

Connor Etling

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

I Had the same problem, I called HTC and they told me to plug it in a wall outlet and hold the Power button,Volume up,and Volume down button for two minutes.
Phone turned right on. I asked why did this happen and apparently if you leave the phone plugged in longer than 3 hours it shuts itself off.
Safety feature to prevent it over heating .
Hope this helps anyone who has the same problem.

Mplsboiz11

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

i need help on the same problem , i was just listening to music then i turn the music off after that it shut the phone off... i try holding the power botton and the volume but nothing happen...

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I Had the same problem, I called HTC and they told me to plug it in a wall outlet and hold the Power button,Volume up,and Volume down button for two minutes.
Phone turned right on. I asked why did this happen and apparently if you leave the phone plugged in longer than 3 hours it shuts itself off.
Safety feature to prevent it over heating .
Hope this helps anyone who has the same problem.

I don't think HTC was giving you a correct answer. I leave my phone plugged in overnight, and in the morning, it is still on. But at least they helped you solve the issue.

Do Viet

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

You are right. I just got this problem 10 mins ago and try to combine power and volume up button under the bright light. Then it works perfectly. Thank you so much

John Chen1

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Oh my god. It works! I just can not turn it one before but I tried your method and the light start blinking!
You really saved me!

ppelepew

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem. AT&T replaced my phone, the phone they sent me I got to use for 20 before it locked up again. I charged it for 12 hrs and no luck. So I'm sending back the replacement phone to get another one.

Kitto Rogers

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

I have a newly bought htc x one but I found on the main screen only and I switched off but failed to come back. I feel so dissapointed.

Bryanwangca

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem this morning with my HTC one. I tired the power and volume combination and it works. But i am disappointed and i am not going to buy HTC phone again. This is my third HTC phone. Good bye HTC ! Nice knowing you.

neesybabe

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!...Thought it was gonna be a new phone...so pleased...it works...once again..thank you!

neil9834

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Your the best, thought I would need to send it away to get repaired or something, seen your post and its totally helped me out big time, cheers

Andrea Torok

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

Hello.
i have the same problem, but now my phone is switchin off like 10 times a day. i have only one question: do u think is an os problem or my phone is like one year old (not even) so they are forcing me in this way to buy a new one...bc i dont think its a sww problem...they must say that...but i havent intalled anything on my phone in the last one month and this problem started like 2 days ago...
have any idea?

Bigleftyinaz

May 23, 2011
Visit site

Just had this issue and found fix from another site.Here is what that person said " So i just recently had the exact same problem this morning, i forgot to charge it ver night, plugged it in, in the morning, and the thing charged up, it turned on and then when i went to move it to my laptop to charge, it died on the way and then wouldnt turn on or even show a light when i plugged it in. the weird this was that my laptop would make a noise comfirming that it was detecting something but it still wouldnt show up.

What worked for me was to just hold the button like your trying to turn it off, while still plugged intpo mylaptop i could hear it disconnect, and after that the light came on the phone and is now currently working!! HOPE THIS HELPS!"

Alextodd1

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

Just turned my phone into htc. They'll be replacing the motherboard they say. I hope they give me back it in the pristine condition in which I gave for repairs. :/
Most of the time it is not the issue of Motherboard, it is actually the problem with battery and its connectors. Anyways did you used your phone with Moist hands? As something happened with me but it was the connector problem, as it became water damage. (I Don't know how a water droplet made its way to the charging connector but it did). Make sure that your phone isnt water damage before going with MB replacement.

maheshvelu

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I am also having this issue and started happening when the service centre replace the bottom blown out speaker, the phone was not formatted and had all m details intact. when i received the phone the battery was at 34 percent then made some call and left from there and in 15 mins i see the phone switched odd I thought by mistake it would have happened but unfortunately that was not the case and it happened everything i switched it on. some how reached home and had put it on charging and when checked after charging it was fine used it the next day and as the battery was reaching 30% mark the switching off symptoms got back?.now this is the worst handset I have ever used got it on 5th august and problems started within 3 months speaker now the switching off issue planning to go for a distress sale and get the iPhone 5