Why won't my phone allow me to send a video through text?

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried go sms, handcent or a third party texting app to see if it works?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

chesalaam

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
You keep telling me to do this like I'm. Unaware of this. Lol. I'm aware it's bad quality. The phone should still have the option. Features left off phones are not carriers fault. I don't care about bad quality. Sometimes I want to send something quick with out thinking to myself hey let me film in "mms resolution" if that's the way you think then why stream audio from Google play if it'll play faster and better installed on the device itself. Some people like having options. Isn't that the point of the android os and it's phones. Or are you going to be a fan boy and just not admit when something is badly executed.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one

Just out of curiosity, how quick is too slow for you. A small vid would be quickly uploaded to Dropbox , emails etc...so does 5 secs mms vs 10 secs Dropbox, email, etc really make that much of a difference for the 1 or 2 extra steps? unfortunately my iOS iPad I'm using to type this doesn't give me the option to voice type this reply like every other android OS does....does my iPad suck and make me wanna return it due to this fact....no...based on your argument here, it would seem that you've never been happy with any phone as EVERY one has limited functionality or features in some regard....that or you're just venting, which is fine too. I like the earlier reference to sticks and fire...I have the option to rub sticks to get fire, but I've never ever done it...are there some programs that you choose to watch in standard def rather than high def? I get your point about having options, but a least understand that sometimes when a function is replaced by a much better solution, the former becomes obsolete in just a matter of time....are you upset that the old cable boxes are pretty much a thing of the past....it's an option because irs been done, but there's no way your cable company is gonna let you use that in favor of a digital box...

chesalaam

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
it was funny at the time, but I remember my grandmother having similar beef when she couldn't buy a rotary phone to replace her old one

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, yesterday was the first time I've used MMS since 2007 (only did this because of two threads I saw here). I strictly use email, not MMS. Not only because the quality sucks, but I hate giving the carriers money for something that should not cost me anything. SMS doesn't cost the carrier and MMS uses my data plan. Why pay them $20 for that. I only use email for "MMS" and Google Voice for "SMS"

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Btw. Chomp text app works. It enables no size limit and allows to send aby video over text in pretty high resolution. The reason. I don't use other text apps like gosms or habdcent is it has the black bar on the bottom.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
After everyone has presented their sides I've decided I was wrong. We should be upset we can't easily send videos over text. I've seen the light and will now complain on forums and write heated letters to Lenovo explaining why the laptop I bought last fall is useless because it doesn't have a phone jack modem built in. This is a clear oversight on their part and every other person should know it.

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
After everyone has presented their sides I've decided I was wrong. We should be upset we can't easily send videos over text. I've seen the light and will now complain on forums and write heated letters to Lenovo explaining why the laptop I bought last fall is useless because it doesn't have a phone jack modem built in. This is a clear oversight on their part and every other person should know it.

You sound ridiculous. You know what you're right. Why buy a phone with basic features when you can by a phone that does everything but. Btw although chomp is better it doesn't group mms properly. So if that's something big to people forget it.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You sound ridiculous. You know what you're right. Why buy a phone with basic features when you can by a phone that does everything but. Btw although chomp is better it doesn't group mms properly. So if that's something big to people forget it.

Honestly, what type of responses did you expect? You posted using inflammatory and then confrontational language in a forum full of people who own the phone. There weren't going to be many (if any) people responding with "You know you're totally right, my phone is trash."

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The problem with the concept of "it should just automatically" convert the video for MMS is...exactly how do you plan to do that? HD vids are very large, and it would take a ton of compression, not to mention the burden on the RAM and processor of the phone each time it had to do this. There was a time when phone makers did build similar tech into their devices, but we're talking about days prior to real HD video.

If the iPhone can actually do this, I'd be shocked. Not saying it can't, because I've never owned one, but I highly doubt it. And I'm talking about actual MMS, not iMessage to other iPhones; I believe I read somewhere once that iMessage sets limits at 100MB -- obviously this is much higher than standard MMS, but still vids in high def would hit that mark pretty quickly.

The cloud services folks have mentioned are better means for sharing the vids, which makes the option of trying to support compression of HD videos for MMS just seem like a waste of R&D (though that's just my opinion).

EDIT: part of my point was that iMessage is a great, often over-looked service that Apple offers, I do not deny that. But it is also iMessage that allows folks to send larger video files via the messaging app on the iPhone. True MMS only supports file sizes so small that compressing HD video to fit would be nearly impossible, and unfortunately, there's no cross-platform solution with Android to use with a service like iMessage... In other words, the OP may have a legit gripe, but may have missed what the root cause of the issue is.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Btw. Chomp text app works. It enables no size limit and allows to send aby video over text in pretty high resolution. The reason. I don't use other text apps like gosms or habdcent is it has the black bar on the bottom.

I just saw this thread otherwise I could of saved you a ton of headache and suggested to use ChompSMS since it dumbs it down... I've always used chomp and always will. Awesome message client.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So you film a xxx for the significant other. Just upload to Youtube and whala..
Yea that makes alot of sense. :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

When you upload to you tube you can make it private,, only the person you send link to can see it. You should know how things work before making comments like this.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On the iPhone can you send a full resolution video file to a phone other than an iPhone?

You can always upload to YouTube, it'll convert it automatically and then send that link.

No. Even via iMessage, quality is degraded.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No clue why people are stuck on the MMS side of things and opposed to more rational alternatives. That's like being pissed at Mercedes because your car can't fly at 950 mph. If you want to fly, use a plane or jet, not a car.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait wait. Why are you blaming the Htc One, doesn't the carrier cap mms? Could some other android phone send larger mms on the same carrier or something?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait wait wait. Why are you blaming the Htc One, doesn't the carrier cap mms? Could some other android phone send larger mms on the same carrier or something?

There are 3 stages of caps: device, app and carrier. Your max is the lowest of the three for sending and the person on the other end will receive it at the lowest of theirs.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Your phone knows whats in that video and it can't bare the thought of someone else seeing it. Its video censored you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I assume htc has to step up from this pathetic cap, huh?

This is the main reason to use an alternative methodology and send links to videos, rather than trying to attempt to send it via MMS. Odds are never in your favor of it making it to the end user without compression issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22