Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default Is it just me or is BoomSound not really louder?

My wife has the S3. Her speakers seem to be louder than mine. Although I can hear a difference in the clarity of the instruments, her phone does sound louder and surprisingly not distorted.

Kind of bothers me, I also tried showing off to the guys at work. Although they like the clarity we all agree that there Iphone 3, 4, 4s are still louder. Even with the speakers on the back. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Is it just me or is Boomsound not really louder?

Might just be your phone. My One is louder than any phone i've had previously.

My phones loud and clear. My note 2 is very loud but very distorted. So it makes it harder to hear and I need to turn the volume down to hear it correctly. Also make sure you play the exact same thing on each phone, but you probably know that.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

I haven't been going around comparing the sound vs other phones, but mine is loud by itself. Playing games, viewing videos, or getting notifications. Maybe compare your phone with another HTC One.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by czrman99 View Post
    My wife has the S3. Her speakers seem to be louder than mine. Although I can hear a difference in the clarity of the instruments, her phone does sound louder and surprisingly not distorted.

Kind of bothers me, I also tried showing off to the guys at work. Although they like the clarity we all agree that there Iphone 3, 4, 4s are still louder. Even with the speakers on the back. Anyone else notice this?

This is by far the loudest phone I've ever owned--and compared to others. However, it is possible (and this happened to me when trying to show it off for the first time) that one of your secondary volume sliders is low. Next time you toggle the volume, hit the gear icon and make sure the Music, Videos, Etc slider is up all the way!
    Thanked by:

Could be what you're playing. I've notice that certain youtube videos are quite a bit softer than other things I play.
    BigDinCA and Darth Spock like this.

I briefly had the S4 and it was definitely louder than the One. The iPhone 5 is also louder than than the One, so Boom is a bit of a misnomer.

The quality of the sound on the One is by far the best of all phones, totally enjoyable, but not the loudest. If you turn off Beats Audio then it gets tinnier but a little louder, so if you absolutely need to have a little more volume at the expense of quality, you have that option.

The difference in volume between the S3 and One is most obvious on a weak source, like a podcast recorded with low audio levels. If the source is strong, most people wouldn't even think to ask the question.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    cizzlen, barryl85 and Donvald like this.

Mine are loud, and the clarity is insane.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

IMO, with beats audio, yes boom sound is loud as hell! I usually had my volume on my S3 or note 2 up 3/4 or all the way, with the one, its down low!

While the one is indeed louder as proven in tests, it's by a small margin. Where Boomsound excellent is its mids. Where the S4 sounds louder, it's only due to the speaker's limitation on higher frequency sound, where the One is balanced and clear. Take them both to a noisy place and you'll clearly hear the benefit of the One's speakers.
    Thanked by 2:
    karmamule, leez and cizzlen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    Please use proper tools (and same exact music source) to measure the loudness before making assumptions:

Your phone may also be defective.
    What's the source of that chart?

Quote Originally Posted by tohio View Post
    What's the source of that chart?
    Never mind, found it. Anand Tech.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,605 Global Posts

Just compared against an iPhone 5 and the One sounds a lot more powerful.

Saw this and had to test it against my gfs iPhone 5...
    Louder but not by a lot, however definitely better sounding!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

Position of the speakers has a lot to do with the decibel level as well as clarity sometimes. If all phones were equipped with front facing speakers, I think they would pretty much all sound about as loud as each other.

I had a One for a short time and didnt find anything spectacular about the sound. Reminded me of thebMotorola ROKR from a few years back. My wife had the ROKR and loved it to death, until it died mysteriously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Having front facing speakers does make a big difference. Just tried it out vs a Note 2 and you can tell the difference. Clarity of sound. And yes with clarity and front facing speakers it sounds louder

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    Please use proper tools (and same exact music source) to measure the loudness before making assumptions:

Your phone may also be defective.
    Nexus S???

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.

My Note 2 was loud and my boy who I sold it to made my One sound like Mono. Then again that was the day my One's Home Screen started acting up that, Back & Home buttons wasn't responsive even the Power, it took a few attempts for me to restart it.

I'm scheduling a rematch! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by czrman99 View Post

That's too weird. I had a Samsung before this and the HTC is a heck of a lot louder than it was. I have all my sound settings set to the lowest they can go without being muted. I was and still am a bit blown away by it.

The front facing speakers don't produce the type of bass you can hear on a rear facing speaker reflecting sound off something behind the phone though, I guess.

I also tried a pair of Samsung headphones that I had from my old phone and they are a LOT quieter than the HTC (Beats Audio?) ones. I had no problems hearing through my old headphones, but the newer are definitely better.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I must have a defect. Although clear sound, at 50 pct I can barely hear the music.

Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Official Nightlies

I've had a go at the HTC One and it is clearly louder than my old Galaxy S2, though the latter has more clarity IMO due to DSPManager. (Beats is too overrated and is mostly a gimmick)

Posted via Android Central App
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), UBER Kernel 2Ghz, ViPER4Android FX [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G (SGH-T679): Carbon (4.4.2 Official Nightlies), Operation Killjoy, ViPER4Android FX [secondary handset]
    Asus Nexus 7 (2013): Official 4.4.2 KitKat OTA, ViPER4Android FX

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

If your running a custom run then there's a chance that it can be the rom. If you check the xda forums for trickdroid or android revolution hd then there's people saying the volume is lower with the new update, which the last number to it is .13. I'm not sure what he fix was since I haven't checked on them in a bit.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

No way. The HTC you had must have been more defective than mine. NO WAY was your Samsung clear. You are comparing Jensen and Bose and choosing Jensen. No way.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Tested the S3 against my ONE, same song. About the same volume level. But the samsung clarity sucked.

I'd rather loud music with clarity, which is what boomsound is, than really loud cracked music. Helps a lot when sharing youtube videos with my pals, especially since I don't need to cup the phone for them to hear it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast