Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Default Use for an NFC Tag.

I setup a tag to turn on / off the WiFi. I wanted it near my door, but didn't want to just stick it where it would be visible, so I tried putting it underneath the light switch cover. Amazingly it works great without any problems.

Use for an NFC Tag.-2013-05-18-16.05.27.jpg
    Thanked by:
    mikepas, doc31, MikeDubC and 4 others like this.

Default Re: Use for an NFC Tag.

Quote Originally Posted by ebolasudan View Post
    I setup a tag to turn on / off the WiFi. I wanted it near my door, but didn't want to just stick it where it would be visible, so I tried putting it underneath the light switch cover. Amazingly it works great without any problems.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-18 16.05.27.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	528.4 KB 
ID:	68630
    Where did you get the tags?

i have one hidden in the visor of my car that turns off wifi, turns up the media volume and opens my music player at the same time

Does anyone know if big box store's carry nfc tags? Like best buy ect thanks

sent from my galaxy s4

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Best Buy and Radio Shack carry the Samsung TecTiles. They're pricier than other options, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    aandrew610 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl View Post
    Where did you get the tags?
    I downloaded the NFC Task Launcher () on my Nexus 7 to write on a free tag I had gotten from some promo. After downloading it, there was a link on the the app developer's site for a pair of free tags from the the developer, in exchange for a short survey.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKaMan View Post
    i have one hidden in the visor of my car that turns off wifi, turns up the media volume and opens my music player at the same time
    I have another one that will turn on bluetooth and open up Google Music at the same time so I can play my music through my home bluetooth receiver. I just haven't found a good hiding spot yet.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

I purchased my tags off amazon. The TagsForDroid brand seem to be great. I've had no trouble with them at all. Just be careful as there's two different kinds of tags, and certain devices only support certain formats.

so is there a way without rooting the phone that allows using NFC tags while the phone is asleep? I understand this is a safety thing but shouldn't we have a choice?

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

They're pretty cheep here

How close does the phone have to get to the tag to initiate the action?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Terlingua View Post
    I have to essentially touch my phone to them. My One lives in a thin case so maybe without that you wouldn't have to.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    I have to essentially touch my phone to them. My One lives in a thin case so maybe without that you wouldn't have to.

It may depend on the individual tags themselves, but with my light switch tag, it works fine being on the back side of the light switch plate (about 3 mm) and with my Otterbox case on (about 3-4 mm). Plus I find I can activate with it being at a slight angle, adding another couple of mm. So all in all I can get this tag to activate with the phone approximately 6-9 mm away from the tag.

This is how I use my tags:

1) One by the door when I walk in to cut on WiFi, cut off bluetooth, cut on remote app to turn on the TV.
    2) One in the car to cut off wifi, cut on bluetooth, set volume on high.
    3) One at my desk at work to cut on wifi, cut off bluetooth, set volume to silent.
    4) One in my wallet set to send a text to my bank for a balance when I tap my wallet in my pocket with my phone. I love that...lol
    5) Also have an NFC keychain set to text my girlfriend that I'm available to talk if she's available as well everytime I tap it.

All from Tagsfordroid ordered off amazon and I'm using the NFC Tasker App. I'm still trying to build the habit, since this is a new world for me coming from a samsung epic, but it's automating my life quite nicely. I'm digging it!

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Have you noticed any difference in battery performance using NFC. I would think you would have to keep it enabled all the time right?

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker901 View Post

1) One by the door when I walk in to cut on WiFi, cut off bluetooth, cut on remote app to turn on the TV.
    3) One at my desk at work to cut on wifi, cut off bluetooth, set volume to silent.
    4) One in my wallet set to send a text to my bank for a balance when I tap my wallet in my pocket with my phone. I love that...lol
    5) Also have an NFC keychain set to text my girlfriend that I'm available to talk if she's available as well everytime I tap it.

All from Tagsfordroid ordered off amazon and I'm using the NFC Tasker App. I'm still trying to build the habit, since this is a new world for me coming from a samsung epic, but it's automating my life quite nicely. I'm digging it!
    Which NFC Tasker App are you using? I put "NFC Tasker App" into a search and a bazillion choices came up. Paid or free, and which one?
    Michael

HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700

I'm coming from an iPhone where I just left the wifi on all the time. Does it affect battery performance that much on the One to just leave it on?

I'm coming from an iPhone where I just left the wifi on all the time. Does it affect battery performance that much on the One to just leave it on?
    Having any radio powered on will draw battery life down. My recommendation is to turn everything on that you would ever expect to need on and live like that for a couple days. See how the battery performs. If it's fine, then leave it like that. If it's not making it through the day then start making adjustments.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I noticed very little effect on battery life on my EVO 3D, so I just left the WiFi on all the time. On the One, though, the annoying popup that I get every time I access an app that needs data when my WiFi was on, but not connected was enough to warrant the change.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-18 16.05.27.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	528.4 KB 
ID:	68630
    thats a great idea! Curious, have you thought of any other "hidden" spots for nfc tags? Was thinking to put one on my nightstand for alarm clocks, but didnt want to just stick it in plain sight. Also had a great idea for any music lovers! Place a tag on your guitar that launches a guitar tuner app, or place a tag somwhere on a drum kit that launches a metronome!
    Sent from Jupiter... Yes Jupiter
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ksavaiano View Post
    thats a great idea! Curious, have you thought of any other "hidden" spots for nfc tags? Was thinking to put one on my nightstand for alarm clocks, but didnt want to just stick it in plain sight. Also had a great idea for any music lovers! Place a tag on your guitar that launches a guitar tuner app, or place a tag somwhere on a drum kit that launches a metronome!
    I'm still trying to find a hiding spot for one that I created to turn on bluetooth and open Google Music to play music through my bluetooth receiver, but haven't found a good hiding spot yet.

I'm still trying to find a hiding spot for one that I created to turn on bluetooth and open Google Music to play music through my bluetooth receiver, but haven't found a good hiding spot yet.
    I might want to put one in my car to open my music app since i dont have bluetooth, but then again its like two clicks away haha Ill probably just keep one in my office to turn on wifi, turn vibrate on, and turn off data, and just set it as a toggle so when im leaving i can tap it, and then when i get home ill tap a new one to kick on my wifi! Yet i still dont know where i will put the ones at home. But as i said itd be very cool to have them hidden so people are just like "wtf?" then ill get a keychain to take to the gym with me to tap it to turn off any unnessecary radios and turn on my music app! Any ideas for some good hidden uses would be great (some that wouldnt mean i have to drill in to my desk) or some other innovative uses! like one on the wall to turn on a flashlight at night or something.
    Sent from Jupiter... Yes Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by stesyl View Post
    Have you noticed any difference in battery performance using NFC. I would think you would have to keep it enabled all the time right?
    I have NFC on all the time and I haven't noticed any affects on my battery life. It lasts all day, and I'm a heavy user (facebook, games, banking, netflix, and web browsing). So, with all that, it lasts for me roughly from 5am to about 7pm on most days before I plug it up and at that time it's at about 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    Which NFC Tasker App are you using? I put "NFC Tasker App" into a search and a bazillion choices came up. Paid or free, and which one?
    I apologize. I meant to say I use the NFC Task Launcher App. That's the first one that pops up in the play store and that's the one I used.
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

I apologize. I meant to say I use the NFC Task Launcher App. That's the first one that pops up in the play store and that's the one I used.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    I posted the link for the NFC Task Launcher earlier in this thread, but here it is again.

I downloaded the NFC Task Launcher () on my Nexus 7 to write on a free tag I had gotten from some promo. After downloading it, there was a link on the the app developer's site for a pair of free tags from the the developer, in exchange for a short survey.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast