Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By bembol
  • 4 Post By SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl
  • 1 Post By mysterygirl
  • 2 Post By mcpricex
  • 1 Post By JHBThree
  • 2 Post By mrbootcrm
  • 1 Post By BikerRay
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC One: FM radio won't play without headphones

    The craziest thing ever. Can someone explain to me why the FM radio app won't play over speakers? Regular standalone radios have never had this issue (unless you count portable devices like the old Sony Walkman.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    The phone has to use the radio as an antenna because it doesn't have one built in. All phones that I know of that have FM radios require headphones to be plugged in to use.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    The EarBuds acts as the Antenna.

    SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One
    coronaboy10 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by yourbrokenoven View Post
    The craziest thing ever. Can someone explain to me why the FM radio app won't play over speakers? Regular standalone radios have never had this issue (unless you count portable devices like the old Sony Walkman.
    As stated above, the headphones are the antenna.

    But - to clarify, you CAN play FM over the speakers with the headhphones in. There is a speaker Icon at bottom left to switch to the speakrs.
    Thanked by:
    JasonF, Belhade, TimmyB and 1 others like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    This is common to all phones that I've had that have FM radios. Not unique to the One, for the reasons stated above.

    Posted via Android Central App
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Been the same on every phone I have ever had with a built in cm radio, right back to the days before smartphones (how did we ever survive?).

    To be fair though, I think the One is the first phone I have seen with the option to switch between headphones and speakers.
    TimmyB and TomsAndroid like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    I had no idea. Thanks for the education. I don't get why they didn't have enough room for at least a tiny FM antenna. Is is the first phone I have actually seen that has an antenna. I'm coming from a Droid Charge, and a Droid before that, and a Motorola Razer flip phone before that.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by yourbrokenoven View Post
    I had no idea. Thanks for the education. I don't get why they didn't have enough room for at least a tiny FM antenna. Is is the first phone I have actually seen that has an antenna. I'm coming from a Droid Charge, and a Droid before that, and a Motorola Razer flip phone before that.
    Probably due to all of the radios already built into it. There can only be so much RF in such a little space.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Even your old Walkman needed the headphones for the antenna. I think fm radio requires a certain length antenna that doesn't work in a coil. Probably due to wavelength or something. Been forever since I took my radio class.
    Gator352 and TomsAndroid like this.
  10. #10  
    BikerRay's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Compared to the other receivers in the phone (GPS, Bluetooth, cellular, WiFi), FM has a much longer wavelength and thus requires a much bigger antenna, ideally around a meter.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    I had an old pair of buds and only one side worked so I cut the cord and made a little antenna. Now I can just plug that little wire in when I want to use the speakers at the pool or wherever I might be. You could grab a pair at the dollar tree or something similar and do the same.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbootcrm View Post
    Even your old Walkman needed the headphones for the antenna. I think fm radio requires a certain length antenna that doesn't work in a coil. Probably due to wavelength or something. Been forever since I took my radio class.
    Radio class? What do they teach? How to preset stations efficiently? How to use volume control to your advantage with an annoying passenger? How to use preset equalization with different forms of music?

    I'm just busting your chops! My father was a radioman on the USS Forestal for 10 years and knows Ham/CB/UHF like the back of his hand!

    Usually, it's not the height of the antenna, it's the mass. But in FM and AMs case, it's the height because the wavelenght is in a straight line instead of a UHF/VHF...and now digital...that usually transmits in a radial wavelength.
    Note 3 / Note 2 / S4 / Moto X / hTc ONE / LG G2
  13. #13  
    rkeenan's Avatar

    Posts
    347 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by yourbrokenoven View Post
    The craziest thing ever. Can someone explain to me why the FM radio app won't play over speakers? Regular standalone radios have never had this issue (unless you count portable devices like the old Sony Walkman.
    HTC has done that since the HTC Incredible. Possibly even earlier.

    Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Thank you for stating that WE CAN listen with speakers icon switched on. What a simple solution!!!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: FM radio won't play without headphones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    Radio class? What do they teach? How to preset stations efficiently? How to use volume control to your advantage with an annoying passenger? How to use preset equalization with different forms of music?

    I'm just busting your chops! My father was a radioman on the USS Forestal for 10 years and knows Ham/CB/UHF like the back of his hand!

    Usually, it's not the height of the antenna, it's the mass. But in FM and AMs case, it's the height because the wavelenght is in a straight line instead of a UHF/VHF...and now digital...that usually transmits in a radial wavelength.
    This is all wrong except the father part

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Similar Threads

  1. Workaround for Bluetooth Headphones with FM Radio?
    By tjfritton in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 12:36 AM
  2. FM radio not playing in background?
    By Jenni Phillips in forum Samsung Galaxy S II
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 06:10 AM
  3. Music won't play through headphone jack
    By bsr4767 in forum Samsung Continuum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM
  4. Headphone issue and FM radio
    By Artorture in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM
  5. FM Radio plays through reboot
    By blaidth in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

B