Is Samsung Paying Trolls to Attack the HTC One?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Its sales and marketing, happens with all types of business.

When apple made their Orwellian macintosh ad years ago, what were they doing? Bashing Microsoft and all of its pc userbase.

Pepsi and Coke fight it out every day in stores and ads. Whoever has the better deal for the store gets displayed up front and in a weekly ad to boost sales.

Cell phone providers will get kickbacks from manufacturers all of the time. They then offer incentives to their sales people to push a particular device. I dont remember the last time I have been in an at&t store for an upgrade, and have been "suggested" an iphone.

Dont be naive. Mega corporations dont get that way from sitting on their hands and not helping sway the sales.

By the way, I cast my vote for Snickers as well. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't care for the thread, feel free to move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then hit the report button.

Complaining in here about the thread or members that you perceive to be "trolls" doesn't help the situation.

Please stay on topic and keep the discussion civil.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
That's not the reasoning behind not calling trolls out. You can't call the trolls out because calling another person a troll is a form of trolling. It's one big cycle of unproductive posting, see?
I've seen this fallacy stated a few times in this board and I just don't get where it comes from or why people buy it. Calling an obvious troll what they clearly are is not trolling, it's telling the truth. Not that it's all that hard to identify trolls, but why should we coddle these people? They aren't valuable to a board, just call them out and do away with them.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've seen this fallacy stated a few times in this board and I just don't get where it comes from or why people buy it. Calling an obvious troll what they clearly are is not trolling, it's telling the truth. Not that it's all that hard to identify trolls, but why should we coddle these people? They aren't valuable to a board, just call them out and do away with them.

If you believe someone is "trolling" or otherwise trying to derail a thread, notify one of the mods and we will try to take care of it in the appropriate manner. Calling one out on the boards or otherwise accusing someone of being a troll further derails the thread from its original topic. See the definition of troll below and how calling someone a troll would further contribute to the trolling.

" Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community"

When you call someone a troll, you are off topic and rabbit trailing the discussion, encouraging the "troll" to further his derailment.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I understand how they want it handled here, it's usually something similar on most boards. I just think it's inaccurate to say that calling out a troll is itself trolling.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If they are, they suck at it. The HTC One is doing awesome! Very impressive gate numbers. Of course, not as awesome as the S4 is doing, but I don't think any of us were delusional enough to think this would be neck and neck. I'm just glad people have a choice between awesome devices. 2013 is a good year for mobile so far and I still have high hopes for the rest of the year.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is getting paid, but the day I went into the local ATT store to pick up my HTC One I asked the sales rep if they had any in stock. He said yes and I said "Great! I'd like a white one, please". Then he says "Are you sure? We're getting more Galaxy S4's in on Tuesday". That kind of floored me because 1) I didn't mention ANYTHING about the S4 and 2) he shouldn't be trying to sell me another handset, he should be trying to get me the one I want. The base model of both are the same price, so I was like WTH???

Nearly the same thing happened at my local AT&T store. I was comparing the HTC on and S4. The sales chick was hot so I asked which one was a better phone and she said "you don't want that HTC, the samsung is WAY better"

I just smiled, drooled a little and left. Needless to say I didn't go back and get the S4. I think Samsung pays more commission than the other devices. Only thing I can figure.... /shrug

I didn't end up with either. I bought a Reese cup and the LG Optimus G Pro.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not surprised. Reps used to blindly push iPhones and say how android devices suck. Some still do. But now that Samsung is a top dog they pretty much act like the One doesn't exist.

I almost bought the S4 without ever considering anything else . But then I snapped out of it and did some research. Figured the One was right for me this time around.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is getting paid, but the day I went into the local ATT store to pick up my HTC One I asked the sales rep if they had any in stock. He said yes and I said "Great! I'd like a white one, please". Then he says "Are you sure? We're getting more Galaxy S4's in on Tuesday". That kind of floored me because 1) I didn't mention ANYTHING about the S4 and 2) he shouldn't be trying to sell me another handset, he should be trying to get me the one I want. The base model of both are the same price, so I was like WTH???

Nearly the same thing happened at my local AT&T store. I was comparing the HTC on and S4. The sales chick was hot so I asked which one was a better phone and she said "you don't want that HTC, the samsung is WAY better"

I just smiled, drooled a little and left. Needless to say I didn't go back and get the S4. I think Samsung pays more commission than the other devices. Only thing I can figure.... /shrug

I didn't end up with either. I bought a Reese cup and the LG Optimus G Pro.

I am not surprised. Reps used to blindly push iPhones and say how android devices suck. Some still do. But now that Samsung is a top dog they pretty much act like the One doesn't exist.

I almost bought the S4 without ever considering anything else . But then I snapped out of it and did some research. Figured the One was right for me this time around.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

You guys are really making me want to go to a carrier store and mess with a biased rep.

"Ohh yes, the S4 is the best because of that high-quality audio, right? Ooh, let's turn off the store lights so we can see that amazing S4 camera performance! And please show me how smooth navigation is on the S4."