Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Default Is Samsung Paying Trolls to Attack the HTC One?

I have been surprised by the number of negative comments on this section of the forum about the HTC One. I've owned this phone for about two weeks now, and it is absolutely Amazing. Incidentally, the S4 forum does not have the same level of negativity, it's not even close. Also anecdotally: when I went to the local Sprint store ( privately owned) the, store manager was trashing the HTC One and pushing the S4 hard. And I went by a number of times to play with both the phones. The day I was ready to buy, he did not have two phones in stock (one for me and the other for my wife).I did not want to wait and bought them online. When I went back a week later to chat with him, he was singing a different tune, praising the One and telling me that he was selling more One's than the S4. Inviting me to come to his store if I had any problems! Additionally, it has been reported that Samsung was caught paying college students in Korea to attack the One. Early on I read a very negative comment about the One on Amazon and it was completely made up. All this is anecdotal, but can't help thinking this is going on, given Samsung's deep pockets. Given the uphill battle HTC has had, if the 5 million number of One units sold is true, it speaks to volumes about the Phone, which IMO is the best smartphone available right now, hands down.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Is Samsung Paying Trolls to Attack the HTC One?

I doubt it.

Also, you must have missed the early days of the S4 forums lol. Plenty of negativity to go around.

Posted via Android Central App
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

I would upload my W2 from Samsung but I'm too lazy to block out my social security number.
    Ry, Xsie, Rizz1-2 and 4 others like this.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I doubt it.

Also, you must have missed the early days of the S4 forums lol. Plenty of negativity to go around.

Posted via Android Central App
    I doubt it's happening here, now too, but it did in fact happen earlier this year.
    Thanked by:
    Chetan Takyar likes this.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,922 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by madlaw1071 View Post
    I would upload my W2 from Samsung but I'm too lazy to block out my social security number.
    I thought they paid you guys under the table. :P

Seriously, though. if they are doing it I doubt we'd find out about it so easily this time around.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    madlaw1071 likes this.

There are trolls abound on the internet. Regardless, if its phones, cars, candy bars, etc.
    Thanked by 2:
    jrockleeno 
    jroc and TomsAndroid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by andriver View Post
    There are trolls abound on the internet. Regardless, if its phones, cars, candy bars, etc.
    Kitkat Ftw.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Not sure if anyone is getting paid, but the day I went into the local ATT store to pick up my HTC One I asked the sales rep if they had any in stock. He said yes and I said "Great! I'd like a white one, please". Then he says "Are you sure? We're getting more Galaxy S4's in on Tuesday". That kind of floored me because 1) I didn't mention ANYTHING about the S4 and 2) he shouldn't be trying to sell me another handset, he should be trying to get me the one I want. The base model of both are the same price, so I was like WTH???
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Kitkat Ftw.

NO. Kitkats are awful. Snickers are clearly the winner, because the wrapper is more aesthetically pleasing.

I keed, I keed.

The childish games of phone manufacturer and marketing are getting old. Leave mudslinging and dirty campaigning to the politicians.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildblue#AC View Post
    Not sure if anyone is getting paid, but the day I went into the local ATT store to pick up my HTC One I asked the sales rep if they had any in stock. He said yes and I said "Great! I'd like a white one, please". Then he says "Are you sure? We're getting more Galaxy S4's in on Tuesday". That kind of floored me because 1) I didn't mention ANYTHING about the S4 and 2) he shouldn't be trying to sell me another handset, he should be trying to get me the one I want. The base model of both are the same price, so I was like WTH???
    Alot of sales reps are pretty biased about phones. You also don't know if there was a sales promo going on in their store for the upsale of s4s. It happens.
    Thanked by 2:

Well heck...to think all this time I've been doing it for free.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    madlaw1071 and Chetan Takyar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Kitkat Ftw.

Snickers, *****. Kit-Kats break too easily.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    Alot of sales reps are pretty biased about phones. You also don't know if there was a sales promo going on in their store for the upsale of s4s. It happens.
    I could understand a rep doing that if they have a customer who comes in and isn't sure which phone they want. In that scenario I can certainly see him/her attempting to steer them toward a certain handset. But if someone like myself who has clearly done the research and knows exactly which phone they want it can come off as a bit arrogant and somewhat insulting that customer's intelligence. In those cases I believe it is simply bad form.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I could understand a rep doing that if they have a customer who comes in and isn't sure which phone they want. In that scenario I can certainly see him/her attempting to steer them toward a certain handset. But if someone like myself who has clearly done the research and knows exactly which phone they want it can come off as a bit arrogant and somewhat insulting that customer's intelligence. In those cases I believe it is simply bad form.
    I certainly agree with you there. There is little I can stand less than an over aggressive sales man trying to shove something down your throat. Add in specifying what device you want and they ignore you...you probably handled it much better than I would have.
    Thanked by:
    ssiebor14 and Chetan Takyar like this.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I certainly agree with you there. There is little I can stand less than an over aggressive sales man trying to shove something down your throat. Add in specifying what device you want and they ignore you...you probably handled it much better than I would have.
    To be honest I was so flabbergasted that I was a bit speechless. I know I had the raised eyebrow look, and at the moment all I was able to push out were the words "Yes, I'm certain". It wasn't until a few moments later when he was in the back fetching my phone that I fully digested what had transpired and began to grind my teeth a little.
    Thanked by 2:

To be honest I was so flabbergasted that I was a bit speechless. I know I had the raised eyebrow look, and at the moment all I was able to push out were the words "Yes, I'm certain". It wasn't until a few moments later when he was in the back fetching my phone that I fully digested what had transpired and began to grind my teeth a little.
    You should have answered with a smile and irony... something like: Really? No this phone is not for my children. He doesn't need a plastic toy now, he has lots of them. Besides he already has Nickelodeon, no need for these bubbles when messaging and noises. Also those artificial colors would make him think he has some problem with his eyes. I want a phone for myself. A premium one btw.

P.S.- I am not bashing the S4, just bushing the sales rep.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dchawk81 View Post
    Snickers, *****. Kit-Kats break too easily.
    Yea +1 for snickers. Althrough they are covered in cheap plastic and the tin foil on a kitkat just screams quality ;-)

Sent from my HTC One

I know it's going on! But you can't call the trolls out, it might hurt their feelings!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jp25f 
    TeritorialDemon likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cattails_r_Edible View Post
    I know it's going on! But you can't call the trolls out, it might hurt their feelings!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    That's not the reasoning behind not calling trolls out. You can't call the trolls out because calling another person a troll is a form of trolling. It's one big cycle of unproductive posting, see?

I wouldn't be surprise if they are on this forums..

Recently, Samsung has been exposed and reveal that they are hiring viral marketing team bashing other brands and praise S4. There are tons of documentation and photos of their viral marketing team that was went public not too long ago. That is why you see a lot of places have their Samsung ads taken off during that month. Their viral marketing isn't just target forums, also to reviewers.

Of course, Samsung didn't directly apologized for what they did, they just blame their 3rd party marketing team for making wrong decision or misunderstanding their strategy...
    Thanked by:
    jp25f 

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

Its sales and marketing, happens with all types of business.

When apple made their Orwellian macintosh ad years ago, what were they doing? Bashing Microsoft and all of its pc userbase.

Pepsi and Coke fight it out every day in stores and ads. Whoever has the better deal for the store gets displayed up front and in a weekly ad to boost sales.

Cell phone providers will get kickbacks from manufacturers all of the time. They then offer incentives to their sales people to push a particular device. I dont remember the last time I have been in an at&t store for an upgrade, and have been "suggested" an iphone.

Dont be naive. Mega corporations dont get that way from sitting on their hands and not helping sway the sales.

By the way, I cast my vote for Snickers as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    11,762 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

If you don't care for the thread, feel free to move on. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then hit the report button.

Complaining in here about the thread or members that you perceive to be "trolls" doesn't help the situation.

Please stay on topic and keep the discussion civil.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Trolling on sites is a low hanging fruit, wouldn't be at all surprised. The speed with which anything slightly negative about the One gets picked up on forums like this, is remarkable. Samsung got caught doing it in Taiwan, the home of HTC.

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

My favorite troll:

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

That's not the reasoning behind not calling trolls out. You can't call the trolls out because calling another person a troll is a form of trolling. It's one big cycle of unproductive posting, see?
    I've seen this fallacy stated a few times in this board and I just don't get where it comes from or why people buy it. Calling an obvious troll what they clearly are is not trolling, it's telling the truth. Not that it's all that hard to identify trolls, but why should we coddle these people? They aren't valuable to a board, just call them out and do away with them.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast