GS4 vs One: Made up my mind.... HTC One it is

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, over the last month I've been between the One and the SG4 (2 weeks each) to see which one I like the best. First I gotta say, that both are excellent devices. They each have their strengths and weaknesses and the little quirks but you can't go wrong with either. Anyhow, I decided today to stick with the One. And most of it, is for the uniqueness of the build and software. I had the S3 and I didn't care for the gestures then and I don't now so those things provided me no benefit when it came to consideration. In the same way things like blinkfeed are of no influence since I barely used that. This is just based strictly on my use and the things I do and since I use the devices to do the same thing was little separating the 2 in terms of real world use for me. So at the end of the day it just came down to that both devices are great but the One provides the most different feature set from what I've used in the past. And being rooted and unlocked, I can install the mods and tweaks that annoyed, such as the black menu bar. So for now, I'm going to stick with it. So I'm putting up my GS4 for sale to solely rock the One UNTIL I'm ready to try something else LOL.

P.S. I actually missed the boomsound speakers.

Last edited:

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
In and of itself, the S4 is a great phone...
I bought my One on launch day, however I did go back and look at the S4 and even played with some of my friends to truly get a feel for it...
I'm glad I got the One!
The S4 is significantly laggy! Yes, even after the update. Not that the One is without lag but comparing the two it is obvious the One has it beat in that department!
The camera! I don't want to start a discussion, or war, on megapixels but the software is more intuitive on the One. All those features that the S4 advertisers have to be launched first. Meaning you have to PRE select the mode. Vs the One where you can go back to remove an object or get the best smile using Zoes. The S4 is counterintuitive in that regard to me. How are you suppose to know someone is going to jump in the way of a great shot, or that someone isn't going to be smiling on que?
There are a few other features/reasons but those are two I noticed that really stuck out to me.

Posted via Android Central App

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I use the One as my daily driver. The GS4 is almost non readable in bright sunlight. The One is even brighter and more readable in the sun than the iPhone. All I do is turn my back to the sun and the One is very readable. This matters in my work and when taking pics. If you cant see the screen to frame a shot, you cant get the shot. Also the One's speakers are loud enough to hear all notifications. Just 2 of the important features for me. PS; the 32 gigs of onboard memory vs Sammys 16 is great.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought my One on launch day, however I did go back and look at the S4 and even played with some of my friends to truly get a feel for it...
I'm glad I got the One!
The S4 is significantly laggy! Yes, even after the update. Not that the One is without lag but comparing the two it is obvious the One has it beat in that department!
The camera! I don't want to start a discussion, or war, on megapixels but the software is more intuitive on the One. All those features that the S4 advertisers have to be launched first. Meaning you have to PRE select the mode. Vs the One where you can go back to remove an object or get the best smile using Zoes. The S4 is counterintuitive in that regard to me. How are you suppose to know someone is going to jump in the way of a great shot, or that someone isn't going to be smiling on que?
There are a few other features/reasons but those are two I noticed that really stuck out to me.

I couldn't agree more about the camera features. I don't want to have to select "Eraser Mode" or "Drama Shot" beforehand, being able to do it afterwards makes way more Sense :)

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
For me, the things that swayed me are:

Screen brightness outdoors, S4 is pretty miserable in this respect.

Low light camera performance; add a surveyor I take a lot of indoor pictures where I need to study surfaces and textures. Flash washes this out, so the HTC s ability to not use flash is significant.

Speed of camera; both how fast it boots up and its terrific shutter speeds. I'm often on a ladder with my arm in a ceiling void and I need to snap a picture off fast. The Sammy is painfully slow to go into camera mode then shoot.
The fast shutter speeds are also great to capture sharply focussed images in lower light conditions.

Optical image stabilization. I am a bit of a nature lover and we like to go walking in the countryside. OIS really helps when videoing and shooting pics of birds.

Zoes and highlights; as above, after a great day out walking in Sussex countryside, it's fantastic to have the show clips and the superb highlight feature to present our walk in a visually (and audibly) pleasing way.

The in car interface. I often drive long distances and using the HTC car holder initiates the car interface. It's a brilliant feature, and I am mystified why HTC don't push it more!

Stereo front speakers: don't need to say much here really. So much better than a single speaker on the back.

I'm sure I could list more but those are the main ones I can remember now.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I got the One!

I agree about the camera. I will concede that the S4 camera takes better pics except in low lighting and I enjoy the features BUT like I said in a post over there, I hate the fact of having to pre-select a mode. Life just happens and sometimes you just need to hurry up and take out the phone and capture what's going on and you don't have time to find which mode will be best. So I like the fact on the One you can do a lot of things AFTER the fact because that's exactly what editing should be.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think Zoe is stupid and Blinkfeed is useless IMO. But the HTC One is still a better over all device still! Champion of the year if you ask me. If HTC will allow me to disable blinkfeed I'd be much happier! S4 seemed boring and I didn't care for it much.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think Zoe is stupid and Blinkfeed is useless IMO. But the HTC One is still a better over all device still! Champion of the year if you ask me. If HTC will allow me to disable blinkfeed I'd be much happier! S4 seemed boring and I didn't care for it much.

Why not just install Nova or Apex Launcher? Or any other launcher for that matter?

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on the fence. I love both devices but I'm having a hard time getting past the camera quality. I dont expect dslr quality but it seems most of my pics come out very grainy even if just barely zoomed in on my phone screen. Maybe once AT&T gets the 1.29 update things will improve a bit. My old iPhone 3gs wasn't even this grainy. Other than that this is a superb device. I love the screen. Speakers are unmatched. Battery life is acceptable. It is blazing fast which cannot be said for my gs4. Wish I could combine the strengths of both devices.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Why not just install Nova or Apex Launcher? Or any other launcher for that matter?

You shouldn't have to install a launcher to get rid of software that you do not use nor need. Now if they gave us the option to just disable it and not force it on everyone then its win, win for us all don't you think? I'm not saying HTC needs to get rid of it because I understand that some people will use it and love it. I like Sense 5.0 for the most part. These are just my wishes. But a launcher is a work around as well.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I am on tmobile originally bought the one, loved it but had that feeling of missing out on the s4 so I bought it, then love that also, gave my 16 yr old daughter the one she loves it, but I wish I kept it overall I think it's better for me I don't use any samsung features besides air view and hate that it lags, and stutters on real racing 3, my daughter won't trade me lol, but my son wants a s4 so rather than him buying one I think I decided to give him mine and buy a htc one for me, just trying to commit 100percent

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am on tmobile originally bought the one, loved it but had that feeling of missing out on the s4 so I bought it, then love that also, gave my 16 yr old daughter the one she loves it, but I wish I kept it overall I think it's better for me I don't use any samsung features besides air view and hate that it lags, and stutters on real racing 3, my daughter won't trade me lol, but my son wants a s4 so rather than him buying one I think I decided to give him mine and buy a htc one for me, just trying to commit 100percent

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

lol I feel you. I had the One for a week, my 17yr old daughter lusted after it so I gave it to her and got the S4. Love the S4 but being a phone junkie bought an unlocked One. My wife took the One as soon as I got it but she got frustrated with it after 2 days so now I am back to having the best of both worlds, a One and an S4 to suit my mood.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
lol I feel you. I had the One for a week, my 17yr old daughter lusted after it so I gave it to her and got the S4. Love the S4 but being a phone junkie bought an unlocked One. My wife took the One as soon as I got it but she got frustrated with it after 2 days so now I am back to having the best of both worlds, a One and an S4 to suit my mood.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna keep both and somehow kiss up to my wife to where she doesn't get ticked at me. Right now I'm hiding whichever one I'm not using at the time in my gun safe. If she finds it it will cost me a Louis Vuitton or Jimmy Choo. She just thinks I flip every couple weeks on Craigslist or through the forums lol

Both are truly superb devices and I've never been this torn between two devices. My poor nexus 4 feels neglected. KLP needs to get here soon

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
For me, I need the extra on board storage since I'm a total app junkie. I've also always preferred LCD displays for sharpness, clarity, truer colors, and better outdoor viewing. It's nice to support the "little guy" too in HTC. I don't want the smartphone wars to end with just Apple and Samsung.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking I'm just gonna keep both and somehow kiss up to my wife to where she doesn't get ticked at me. Right now I'm hiding whichever one I'm not using at the time in my gun safe. If she finds it it will cost me a Louis Vuitton or Jimmy Choo. She just thinks I flip every couple weeks on Craigslist or through the forums lol

Both are truly superb devices and I've never been this torn between two devices. My poor nexus 4 feels neglected. KLP needs to get here soon

LOL, my wife accused me of wanting a booty call phone when I told her I was keeping both. Then I explained it's the same SIM car for both phones and that ended that!

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I got the One!

To be fair, you have to choose zoe before the shot, so you are in a way selecting a mode before hand. I guess zoe is more flexible though becuase you can do more than one thing once you have it.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence. I love both devices but I'm having a hard time getting past the camera quality. I dont expect dslr quality but it seems most of my pics come out very grainy even if just barely zoomed in on my phone screen. Maybe once AT&T gets the 1.29 update things will improve a bit. My old iPhone 3gs wasn't even this grainy. Other than that this is a superb device. I love the screen. Speakers are unmatched. Battery life is acceptable. It is blazing fast which cannot be said for my gs4. Wish I could combine the strengths of both devices.

I don't experience the graininess you describe. I do shoot with sharpness -1, maybe that would help you? Or are you zooming to take the pic? I never zoom for a shot. The pics look clear and grain free at 100% on my computer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc