Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Beats Audio Explained.

This guy does a good job of explaining how Beats Audio really works. I don't know if he's credible. This should be shared with everyone if it's true, at least now we're not gonna buy Beats Audio devices blindly...

Sent from my Note II
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Beats Audio Explained.

I would say hes pretty much dead on. I think most people know that anything that's hyped isn't as good as something that stands on its own. On the other hand you do get some benefits with Beats. So just ask yourself is it worth some extra build quality and a pre-made eq that sounds pretty good or not. In the case of the HTC One you don't really pay anything extra so I'll gladly take it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

This applies to all Beats Audio devices, not only the One. Also I loved Beats on my HOX, it's just that I didn't know all the technical details behind it. And other EQs do a good job too, I have Poweramp in my Note 2 and i don't miss Beats much.

Sent from my Note II

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

I believe him to be credible. If you look through his other videos you cannot argue with his views and knowledge - I have kept an eye on his videos ever since finding him when researching about my Audio-Technica ATH-M50's. Although that may have been because he agreed with what I thought so I wouldn't take too much notice of that!!
    I am back HOME on the epic Nexus 5!!
    Luvzmobile

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

I think what we saw right there was what drives the sales of most anything. Find something that makes your product stand out from the rest.

"Gimmicks"

Posted via Android Central App
    Galaxy S5
    Moto 360
    LG G3
    Sony Smartwatch 2
    Nexus 10

Well, so he says. I would still like to see the graphs and measurements performed. Nevertheless, when I add Power AMP eq to Beats on the HTC One , it sounds bad. If he is right and beats audio is an eq only, it is a nice one.

I would like to draw more attention to the last part of his video where he says the speakers are powerful and clear. You can push the bass and tremble to the extreme with any phone or laptop but it will sound so bad because the speakers are crackling and unable to reproduce the sound.Try it out yourself with power amp or winamp eq on a device with poor speakers. Bottom line, Beats audio works because the HTC One has the greatest speakers on any phone to date.

On the flip side of the coin, it seems to me that Beats ON will consume more battery life when listening to music. Just a gut feeling, have yet to test.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsmobile View Post
    I think what we saw right there was what drives the sales of most anything. Find something that makes your product stand out from the rest.

"Gimmicks"

Exactly!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock

If Beats is only a EQ, theoretically it should be possible to replicate it with Poweramp? Or other EQ software?

Sent from my Note II
    Luvzmobile

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

There are actually many factors that play into the quality of an eq. I'm assuming beats is a passive eq. Active eq's are amplified after the amp and passive are before. I'm going back a few years to my car audio days but passive was always cleaner. Sound curves between frequencies also comes to mind. I'm sure there is a more technical answer if someone would chime in.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Galaxy S5
    Moto 360
    LG G3
    Sony Smartwatch 2
    Nexus 10

Quote Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
    Nevertheless, when I add Power AMP eq to Beats on the HTC One , it sounds bad. If he is right and beats audio is an eq only, it is a nice one.
    If you're adding one of PowerAmp's built-in curves on top of Beats, you're going to completely over-boost certain frequencies beyond what the speakers or your headphones can handle and introduce a lot of distortion. I have a custom "Beats Correction" eq curve in PowerAmp where I cut some of the bass and midbass frequencies just a touch to clean up a little bit of the "muddy" sound, and dial back some the higher frequencies to cure a little bit of harshness.
    I guess it ends up being something you might call "Beats Lite," and it sounds pretty dang good with my particular headphones and the music I listen to.

Ignoring the Beats Audio and just thinking of it as a plain stereo speakers in the front grill. The placement of those speakers work great and really pushes the phone as a multimedia device. I wish other manufacturers would follow that same pattern. The Beats Brand is more for marketing than anything else.

Now I have the S4 and I think it sounds great but I can tell that the speakers are in the back.
    howie likes this.

Super useful - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kkapoorr View Post
    This guy does a good job of explaining how Beats Audio really works. I don't know if he's credible. This should be shared with everyone if it's true, at least now we're not gonna buy Beats Audio devices blindly...

Sent from my Note II
    Thanked by:
    kkapoorr likes this.

All I know is that it has become increasingly difficult to purchase a phone without beats audio. I listen to music A LOT. I have used 4GB of data on Google Play Music All Acess in the last 4 days just for music.

I have a Nexus 4 and an HTC One. My girlfriend has a GS3. The Nexus and GS3 are dissappointing, to say the least, at sound quality and VOLUME. I can't stand listening to music on anything other than my HTC one or an iPhone, which also has a great sound amp.

BEATS audio I don't think is a gimmick. It is a very real and useful feature. I can't stand not having it.

Thanked by 3:
    kkapoorr and chrjt74001 like this.

I love the external speakers, but it's not a deal breaker at all. I use the sparingly, but I always use my phone with my car aux, headphones and Bose speakers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Great videos. He's quite credible.
    Thanked by 3:
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kkapoorr View Post

Sent from my Note II
    Love that dude.
    kkapoorr likes this.

Marcus makes excellent videos, with exceptional depth in the topic.

Sent from my MZ604 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

This reminds me of the "loudness wars" that the music industry has gone down.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Great video - thanks for the share!

- Keef
    ----------
    Cheers!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Still sounds better than any than phone

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My concepts about Beats Audio just got more clearer. Wow!

Ya, I assumed that Beats was probably just an audio enhancer like the BBE Sonic Enhancer that's used in audio production and mixing. What that does is basically it's an 'intelligent EQ' that does a little bit of EQ as well as some delay at certain frequencies to try to ensure everything is hitting your ear at an ideal rate/time. In mixing it can make things 'crisper' when used properly but can also thin certain things out depending on the original recording. Likewise I find the Beats setting makes the built in speakers generally sound better (I think I'm hearing a high-frequency bump which would make sense for smaller speakers like this) but generally I find it a little noisy and artificial through decent headphones (again, something that would fall in line with a higher EQ bump).

Cheers. Can I make sure I've got this right? I've got an HTC One, so I can either have this 'beats audio' on or off. 'On' will raise the bass and tops, 'off' will lower them. But I have no option to keep the audio as it's meant to be. I don't listen to music on my phone, I just listen to BBC radio, eg the TMS cricket commentary or Radio 4 comedy. But because some spastic American rapper reckons he understands how cricket commentary should sound better than the BBC does, I have to listen to the coverage with distorted audio. Is this right? Is there no way of hearing the sound as the BBC intended? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Patrick Schroedl; 08-24-2013 at 05:43 PM.

I would think that "off" is how it's meant to be. It only lowers the bass and tops in relation to having beats on.

To me, the volume sounds higher with beats off. But overall it sounds better with it on. If that makes any sense.

Talking Re: Beats Audio Explained.

yeah beats audio its just and equalizer with a dedicated amplifier which the amplifier is from hp on laptops or HTC on its phones just like how the iphone or ipod have a real good output in sound because they also have there own dedicated amplifier and there own equalizer setting because having an integrated amplifier on a device may be limited. which makes Beats sound better than just played on standard smartphone or laptop and you hear more of the signature bass that Beats have. so when people say i can get beats audio software on a phone they would also need a dedicated amplifier which is a physical part of the phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast